ADVERTISEMENT

SC ProAm Wrap-Up with full stats and insight

C

Collyn Taylor

The SC ProAm finished up this weekend with arguably the best game of the tournament. The championship game went into overtime with Rakym Felder and Chris Silva's team finishing in second place.

GamecockCentral had wall-to-wall coverage from every game of the ProAm, with either @Chris Gillespie and I, and sometimes both of us, holding down the fort.

Below, we'll breakdown every Gamecock player who played in the ProAm with their full stats and analysis on how I thought they did throughout the tournament.

David Beatty: 12.2 PPG, 2.5 RPG, 0.2 AST, .465 FG%, .263 3PT%

Beatty, who came in as one of the marquee signings in the 2017 class, showed flashes of why when he was on the court. He could drive the ball, make some crisp passes and knew how to finish in the lane. He also handles the ball really well being a point guard. He's still a little raw and needs to figure out his jump shot and get better defensively, though, but he's got the talent to compete in the SEC.

His jump shot needs to become more consistent. When he has time to set his feet and go through his motion uninterrupted, he can hit from anywhere. If he can figure out how to make off-balance shots and quicken his release, he could be very good.

Frank Booker: 17 PPG, 2.8 RPG, 1.6 AST, 0.4 STL, 0.2 BLK, .541 FG%, .536 3PT%

Booker, a graduate transfer from FAU, is not afraid to shoot the ball. He was drilling shots from the half court line, from near the end of the scorer's table and anywhere else on the court. He could fill the rim up, too, hitting over half of his shots in the ProAm.

He's going to need to get more comfortable quick playing with his teammates in Frank Martin's system. He made a few errant passes and wasn't on the receiving end of a few passes during the ProAm, but if he can sure that up, then he's going to be a good scoring option for the Gamecocks this season.

Tommy Corchiani: 19 PPG, 2 RPG, .583 FG%, .444 3PT%

Corchiani only played in one game this year, but lit up the scoreboard. He is buried at guard behind returning players, but showed what he can do in the ProAm.

Jason Cudd: 7.2 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 0.8 BLK, .533 FG%

Cudd is the tallest player on the team, standing at what appears to be a true 7-feet tall. He's very big, but looks to still be filling out and learning what his body can do. It's going to take some time for him to reach his full potential, but he showed flashes of solid post moves in the ProAm.

Gillespie and I compared him to a big ball of clay right now, ready for the coaches at South Carolina to mold him into what they want him to be. I think a full year under Martin learning where he needs to be on the court and in the weight room will do him a lot of good.

Rakym Felder: 20.6 PPG, 2.4 RPG, 4.2 AST, 0.8 STL, .366 FG%, .188 3PT%

Felder is one of the candidates to take over the open starting point guard spot, and looks to be eyeing that position pretty hard. He bulked up this summer, he told me, packing on a few extra pounds of muscle. He looks leaner and more athletic coming into his sophomore season.

He's still a volume shooter willing to pull up from anywhere beyond the arc, but his driving and ball handling seems to have really improved. He was able to take a few drives and finish in the lane against some bigger players, which was a problem for him last year.

I was really impressed with him this year. He played this summer with Chris Silva, and the two seemed to build on their chemistry in the ProAm.

Hassani Gravett: 17.5 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 5 AST, 1 STL, 0.2 BLK, .452 FG%, .367 3PT%

Another candidate for the open point guard spot, Gravett showed signs of why he could be the No. 1 guard this year. He scored seemingly at will, showing his range and he was able to drive the ball a little bit. He also averaged five assists a game, which is a big plus for a point guard.

I think there's still room for improvement and playing more consistently, but the game seems to be slowing down for him.

Khadim Gueye: 7.8 PPG, 7.8 RPG, 0.8 AST, 1.8 BLK, .452 FG%

Gueye is another guy, like Felder, who seemed to bulk up and get stronger going into his second year. He's really working on his offensive game, and showed some nice touch in the paint at times during the ProAm. I think he's got a little ways to go learning the offense, but with 1.8 blocks per game, he could be a nice defensive asset for Martin and Co. this year. He told me during the ProAm his defense is the strong suit of his game.

Felipe Haase: 9 PPG, 1.2 RPG, 1.2 AST, .500 FG%, .565 3PT%

Of the four newcomers to play in the ProAm, Haase impressed me the most. I joked earlier when the ProAm started he reminded me of Dirk Nowitzki Jr. He's similar in size and has a very nice shot from three. His court vision is really good for a true freshman, and he made some touch passes that some veteran college basketball players can't make.

He still needs to get faster by a good margin and stronger, but I see him making his way into the starting lineup sometime during the season.

Maik Kotsar: 7.4 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 0.8 AST, .469 FG%, .500 3 PT%

Kotsar was another guy that really impressed me in the ProAm. His stats may not jump off the page, but he was really good from three all tournament. He also handled some of the point guard duties and drove the lane a couple times from the top of the key. His ball handling skills are deceptively good for a guy that size. I think those abilities he's really improved on are going to give South Carolina's offense an interesting wrinkle this season.

Justin Minaya: 11.8 PPG, 3.2 RPG, 0.2 AST, 0.5 STL, .515 FG%, .538 3 PT%

Minaya is another 2017 signee that looked really good and really raw at times during the ProAm. He can pass the ball really well and hit open shots, but needs to bulk up a lot before the season to more effectively play a guard position. I was really impressed, though, with his speed and the ability to shoot from long range.

Chris Silva: 32.6 PPG, 11.6 RPG, 4.4 BLK, 1.4 AST, 0.6 STL, .594 FG%, .304 3PT%

Silva was arguably the star of the tournament, averaging almost 33 points and 12 rebounds a game. He scored 46 points in the championship game and looked near unstoppable offensively. He's added a somewhat consistent three-point shot, which gives his game yet another tool for the toolbox. He showcased a few nice post moves, and it looks like he's working on a quick spin move and hook shot. Mix that in with his natural athleticism (yes, the Silva Slams and Swats) and Silva could be primed for a huge breakout season.

We got a lot of great content from this year's ProAm, and it will be hitting the site sooner rather than later over the next week and a half. Be on the lookout for all of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News