ADVERTISEMENT

SC Rep calls for BOT to fire Tanner

RashCock

Aug 12, 2011
“The board needs to convene immediately and ask for the resignation of Ray Tanner and Terry Parham,” state representative Kirkman Finlay told us early Thursday. “They both need to be fired post haste. There is no other way for the board to demonstrate they are serious about reform. I mean – how do you not remember to get the contract signed? In this environment, a mistake like this cannot be tolerated.”

Finlay (above) added that the real issue with the university’s latest pooch screw was not just the money that was being flushed down the toilet – but the broken culture of the institution itself.

“This is about more than just the $2 million – this is about how the university operates,” he said.

According to Finlay, the board’s failure to take action against Tanner and Parham would force lawmakers to take action against them.

“Anybody in the private sector who did this would have been handed a box – they would be cleaning their desk out right now,” Finlay said. “This is a litmus test for the board – do they run the institution or do the bureaucrats? And if they can’t deal with the bureaucrats, I am going to raise hell to make sure we deal with the board.”

Rep. Finlay Calls for Tanner to be fired

“The board needs to convene immediately and ask for the resignation of Ray Tanner and Terry Parham,” state representative Kirkman Finlay told us early Thursday. “They both need to be fired post haste. There is no other way for the board to demonstrate they are serious about reform. I mean – how do you not remember to get the contract signed? In this environment, a mistake like this cannot be tolerated.”

Finlay (above) added that the real issue with the university’s latest pooch screw was not just the money that was being flushed down the toilet – but the broken culture of the institution itself.

“This is about more than just the $2 million – this is about how the university operates,” he said.

According to Finlay, the board’s failure to take action against Tanner and Parham would force lawmakers to take action against them.

“Anybody in the private sector who did this would have been handed a box – they would be cleaning their desk out right now,” Finlay said. “This is a litmus test for the board – do they run the institution or do the bureaucrats? And if they can’t deal with the bureaucrats, I am going to raise hell to make sure we deal with the board.”

Hell that’s nothing!
I’ve been calling for Tanner to be fired for years.
I have mellowed now somewhat in that I think they should just roll his chair down the hall and around the corner and let him water the flowers in the offices until his retirement party in 2022.

I am convinced that nothing at this point will get Ray Ray fired. He has lit the major men’s programs on fire and pays no penalty. The good ole boy network clearly loves Ray Ray.

The good ole boy network clearly loves Ray Ray.

Correct. It should not go unnoticed that the only lawmaker calling for his ouster is a UVA grad whose only dog in the fight is that he can't stand to see State monies being pissed away by Tanner or anyone else at Carolina. The USC grads in the legislature don't care or aren't smart enough to care. The Clemson grads are praying that Ray Turner is given a signed contract for 100 years or until the Rapture, whichever comes first.

He's absolutely correct. The $2 million will likely either be paid by insurance or Muschamp will forgive, but it doesn't matter. It's a drop in the bucket.

Also, the fact that Will Muschamp didn't immediately go on record and state that he wouldn't hold the University responsible for that error is telling. Tanner had his back as long as humanly possible and now he could lose his job. Maybe Muschamp will be gracious enough to put him up in his guest quarters.

I'd like to hear the explanation.

I don’t know what it is, but it’s not that he forgot. You would have to believe that there wasn’t one other single individual in the entire university on the business side of things who ever said “hey Ray, we got that contract signed yet?” It was a multimillion deal and others would have followed up on it. At the bare minimum The lawyers would have been waiting on the signed documents.

I don’t know what it is, but it’s not that he forgot. You would have to believe that there wasn’t one other single individual in the entire university on the business side of things who ever said “hey Ray, we got that contract signed yet?” It was a multimillion deal and others would have followed up on it. At the bare minimum The lawyers would have been waiting on the signed documents.
If it was an oversight, heads gotta roll. If it was kabuki theatre done for the press, the Gamecock Club members, and the fans, same thing.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I agree it was a major screw up, but my state of mind right now is any state or national reps need to keep their fat pie holes shut and worry about their job. Hell, if we every day folks ran our companies or did our jobs as incompetently as these state representatives all while giving themselves raises and taking lobby money we’d be shit canned in a heart beat. Time for term limits.

Last edited:
It is always the same. Get a level where your screw ups impact a large number of people yet you are never held accountable.

Ray Tanner was a great baseball coach and is well loved in that capacity. He is also a horrible AD that has killed our major sports programs.

He needs to resign and salvage his positive reputation before he is fired and that last act becomes his legacy.

If one were to look deep enough, would he find that Muschamp and Spurrier's agent Jimmy Sexton was also Tanner's agent? Does anyone remember who represented Tanner when he was coaching?

• Wow
Reactions: brianlafe

Another case of cola political folks sticking head into where they have no place........he should have run on that platform.......

I’m willing to bet that the contract wasn’t ready for signatures right away. In the meantime, the coaches left for other jobs. They mutually agreed to forget the deal, but keep it quiet.
They probably decided to revisit this after spring practices were over but never got to it because of Covid.

Reactions: DibbleDee
I’m willing to bet that the contract wasn’t ready for signatures right away. In the meantime, the coaches left for other jobs. They mutually agreed to forget the deal, but keep it quiet.
They probably decided to revisit this after spring practices were over but never got to it because of Covid.

A far more liked scenario

Another case of cola political folks sticking head into where they have no place........he should have run on that platform.......

You don't believe that the taxpayers of South Carolina who gave USC $176 million in the last budget deserve to have their elected representatives checking behind the idiots who are pissing those funds away like it is monopoly money?

I think the bigger issue is that it looks like some sort of cover up. You are spot on that they didn’t “forget” to sign it

I agree. There's more to it than just incompetence or negligence. I think Muschamp gave them the finger. (figuratively, not literally) It put them between a rock and a hard place.

Reactions: DibbleDee

bot needs to be gone too

Everyone in this program should absolutely be pissed off if they fire Ray right now. If it was going to be done, it should have been done before the search and subsequent hiring of Shane.

It really isn't even fare to Shane to fire the guy that hired him a week later.

Just a total S*** Show.

I think the bigger issue is that it looks like some sort of cover up. You are spot on that they didn’t “forget” to sign it

I doubt it is a cover up, but i am sure there was something that happened that caused this.

I don't really remember the timeline on how this occurred, but it will probably eventually come out.

I think many coaches that may or may not have been candidates for the coaching job were probably turned off by the absolute dysfunctional nature of our AD and board. I can imagine many wouldn’t want to work for this Mickey Mouse sh/() show.

Reactions: CtownNat1ve
Just a question - I may not understand fully. Does anyone know for sure the 2 million was assigned to the other coaches. Wasn’t that part of the deal. Boom would take less to pay his other coaches - Just maybe it wasn’t signed because they found money elsewhere and didn’t need to reduce booms salary. Or never gave the intended raises Btw. A lot of people go through negotiations or mediations that are agreed upon but never filed. JS.

btw. Says a lot about a representative that’s going public against the state university . There are ways to handle this without trashing the university publicly. I’m guessing a tater.

If one were to look deep enough, would he find that Muschamp and Spurrier's agent Jimmy Sexton was also Tanner's agent? Does anyone remember who represented Tanner when he was coaching?
I thought it was the lawyer from Columbia that represented a number of coaches. He died a few years ago.

Just a question - I may not understand fully. Does anyone know for sure the 2 million was assigned to the other coaches. Wasn’t that part of the deal. Boom would take less to pay his other coaches - Just maybe it wasn’t signed because they found money elsewhere and didn’t need to reduce booms salary. Or never gave the intended raises Btw. A lot of people go through negotiations or mediations that are agreed upon but never filed. JS.

btw. Says a lot about a representative that’s going public against the state university . There are ways to handle this without trashing the university publicly. I’m guessing a tater.
UVA grad. Married a Ravenel. He is just playing politics...."faked outrage" to make him look like he is doing something and to get his face on TV.

At this point, not one of us know who dropped the ball on this...or even if it was dropped. Everyone is just speculating.

Last edited:

Errr... Read much? UVA grad.

We may agree that Ray needs to be fired, but this guy is grandstanding and his motivations should surely be questioned. I also can just about guarantee you that him and all of his cohorts on both sides of the government display far more corruption and/or incompetence on a daily basis.

I hate to see Terry Parham's name dragged through the mud. I taught him legal writing in law school. He's a nice guy and a very good lawyer.

Kirkman is my representative. I sure hope he didn't go off half-cocked here. He is Columbian through-and-through. I'm sure he would laugh at people trying to paint him as a "tater."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT