ADVERTISEMENT

SC WBB has some good players but...

Guess its the women’s turn to embarrass themselves - just no drive whatsoever

Reactions: cockofdawn
Actually we don’t have enough good players. We have Aja and nobody else that can compete w UConn. Look for Miss St to blow us out as well.

Unless Dawn has some studs coming in this team will really struggle next year.

Reactions: jonesz21
On the offensive scheme they just dribble around basically and other than the pass down low they have no set offensive plays. UCONN runs plays to catch SC off balance yet SC is an individual player game scheme.

UConn has an offensive system and they run it well. I think much of our offense is based simply on having better talent and being able to out physical the majority of our opponents, but a more disciplined team with better talent, like UConn, can overcome that.

We have good enough players. Uconn is a machine. Geno is the best college coach I’ve ever seen.
Really??? UConn is the Alabama of woman’s BB - its like Spurrier said - its easy to coach a team thats full of nothing but the best players in the country and thats what UConn is - 5** players at every position with 5* backups waiting to come in - we have a few throughout our roster and can beat just about any other team in the nation except UConn - every dog has its day and UConn will meet theirs again (Like Miss St last year) - we lose Aja next year and will be in the same boat but hopefully some of these young ladies will grow up fast.

WigglyIllfatedBlackfly-size_restricted.gif

Actually we don’t have enough good players. We have Aja and nobody else that can compete w UConn. Look for Miss St to blow us out as well.

Unless Dawn has some studs coming in this team will really struggle next year.

I'd say they are struggling THIS year.

Poor shooting: do we EVER use the backboard?

Defense: do we have one?

Game Plan: obvious. We don't have one. We seem to be simply rattling around on the court.

Our girls look LAZY - ENTITLED AND as though they dont want to play with effort - UConn is jus the opposite - they came in expecting a fight and have hustled extremely hard - our git=rls simply do NOT LIKE TO PLAY DEFENSE - THEY LOOK LAZY EVEN ON THEIR PASSES

Uconn plays so much faster than our girls do. They blow by our girls while we have trouble just passing the ball against them.

They have thoroughly discredited us.
To be honest - I think you are seeing how to beat UConn here in the 2nd half- the zone has slowed them down and they have not shot well at all when we play zone - when we go man to man - they kill us with the cuts and back doors

The biggest reason we're getting destroyed is because those 2 selfish hooches left early for the freakin WNBA. I mean, who does that?!

To be honest - I think you are seeing how to beat UConn here in the 2nd half- the zone has slowed them down and they have not shot well at all when we play zone - when we go man to man - they kill us with the cuts and back doors
Yes, otherwise they were on course to beat us by 50-plus.

Good point. But Mississippi State won't play zone, and I don't know who else could beat UCONN. MSU won't even play zone against us! I mean, c'mon everyone plays zone against us. You would think with as many times as we've beaten MSU, Schaefer would go zone, but he refuses.

Poor guard play. UConn’s guards on defense push our guards far from the basket. We should quickly reverse direction but we seem to be doing a Coach Odom weave regardless of what the defense gives us.

They have thoroughly discredited us.

Really? That's a bit strong.

They lost a basketball game, badly, to the No. 1 team in the nation and a squad that has a habit of blowing away ranked opponents. I suspect it stings for a lot of folks, including those young ladies who represent USC and are 18-4 and ranked in the top 10.

In short, please don't count me among those of you who feel you were 'discredited.'

They lost a basketball game, badly, to the No. 1 team in the nation and a squad that has a habit of blowing away ranked opponents. I suspect it stings for a lot of folks, including those young ladies who represent USC and are 18-4 and ranked in the top 10.

In short, please don't count me among those of you who feel you were 'discredited.'
We actually lost the 2nd Quarter but after that, we held our own and actually outscored UConn in the second half - I watched the MSU and Mizzou game last night and to be honest, I was NOT Impressed wth MSU - they are very beatable and I think we can beat them

I know. Wouldn't it be nice to have the kind of players and coach to win a national championship one day.

UCONN is a great and elite program and team this year. South Carolina is a very good top tier program and last year was their year with a great team. UCONN lost on a buzzer beater in Final 4 last year and had 4 starters coming back plus an All-American transfer from Duke that comes off the bench for them.... All-American comes off the bench!!!!! What Staley has built at USC is amazing, and as Geno said, the next challenge is sustaining it. UCONN is the best team and I will be shocked if they lose this year. Radio guy said UCONN has beaten 7 ranked teams this year and I believe four of them have been by 25 points or more. He also said UCONN's record over the last 4-5 years is 173-2. That tells me that nobody else has figured it out either.

I've said it before - the key to USC's building of the program under Staley was great in-state (or close to it) talent: Welch, Sessions, Dozier, Coates, Wilson, Mitchell (from Charlotte) to name a few. It appears the in-state talent since Aja Wilson graduated has dried up. I cannot name a big time player from this state that has gone elsewhere in the last 3 years. Where the program has "dipped" is their inability to consistently out-recruit the other power programs, including UCONN (USC lost out on 2 huge recruits that will be going to UCONN next year) and even Baylor among others. While I am surprised she hasn't had more success in recruiting coming off last year (she did sign 2 good ones on paper in the fall), I am not surprised when any kid commits to UCONN for the simple fact that they go to the Final Four every single year.

As for USC, Aja Wilson is a special player, but the last 2 games she has missed a lot of close range shots that she normally makes. (4-18 vs UCONN, 5-15 vs Mizzou). I think she would even say that she needs to do better even though she is double teamed on every shot. Not meant to be a criticism, just presenting facts.I think she's a great representative of USC.

USC has some good young players right now with Harris and Jackson, but I don't yet see a "special" player that will get us over the top this year or next (ala Aja Wilson, Alaina Coates, Tiffany Mitchell, Alisha Gray etc).

A "Down year" from what we've seen the last 4 years is bound to happen, I just hope we can get back to being special. Love our coach, and have confidence she can do it. Right now UCONN is on a different level than everybody else.

Who feel "you" were discredited, or who feel "we" were discredited?

We actually lost the 2nd Quarter but after that, we held our own and actually outscored UConn in the second half...
Such blithe dismissal of an obvious debacle bespeaks a departure from reality. We have not ever beaten these people and just suffered our worst loss to them that I can remember - a complete rout at home. There are no credible mitigations, but if it makes lunch go down better....

Enlighten me. Has UConn or Tennessee, as great as they've been, ever had anyone leave early for the freakin' WNBA?!
No, but both Gray and Davis had finished their fourth year of college. Many women's players are not eligible to jump early because BY WNBA RULES you have to be 22 to go to WNBA, have graduated OR be 4 years removed from high school. MOST women's college player are not 22 until their senior season is over unless they redshirt as was the case with Gray and Davis.

So answer this: You have an option to do what you love. Would you do it for free (college) or go somewhere you get paid to do it (WNBA). It's easy. No ill will towards Gray and KD. Had the opportunity to meet Gray once and she took a photo with my daughter. She is a wonderful young lady. Wish we still had them both, but they made the right choice.

Reactions: king ward

Let's be honest. We were so bad it seemed like we were invisible on the court. In the first half it looked like we (1) hadn't prepared at all for UCONN and (2) had no answers for anything they threw at us.

UConn has an offensive system and they run it well. I think much of our offense is based simply on having better talent and being able to out physical the majority of our opponents, but a more disciplined team with better talent, like UConn, can overcome that.

^^^THIS. Plain and simple. Well said.

You discredit them everyday...One game defines no team...They beat us last year...They have beaten us 7 straight...Yet we are reigning National Champions with 4 SEC Championships plus 3 SEC Tournament titles...If you think that can be discredited, you're an idiot..

We got thumped so what... We are depleted and young on the perimeter..Geno exploited that to max...He is the best in the business...He has a lineup full of great shooters and 2 girls that can go get it off the bounce...

Let's be honest. We were so bad it seemed like we were invisible on the court. In the first half it looked like we (1) hadn't prepared at all for UCONN and (2) had no answers for anything they threw at us.
trying to play man to man with a depleted roster on the perimeter was a blunder...The zone slowed them down in the second half...But it was too late to overcome such a deficit...Dawn can be stubborn to a fault at times...But i was happy to see we finally went zone after watching them do layup drills in the first half..

No, but both Gray and Davis had finished their fourth year of college. Many women's players are not eligible to jump early because BY WNBA RULES you have to be 22 to go to WNBA, have graduated OR be 4 years removed from high school. MOST women's college player are not 22 until their senior season is over unless they redshirt as was the case with Gray and Davis.

So answer this: You have an option to do what you love. Would you do it for free (college) or go somewhere you get paid to do it (WNBA). It's easy. No ill will towards Gray and KD. Had the opportunity to meet Gray once and she took a photo with my daughter. She is a wonderful young lady. Wish we still had them both, but they made the right choice.

Memo to Dawn Staley: DON'T RED SHIRT!!! . . . . PLEASE!

Last edited:
trying to play man to man with a depleted roster on the perimeter was a blunder...The zone slowed them down in the second half...But it was too late to overcome such a deficit...Dawn can be stubborn to a fault at times...But i was happy to see we finally went zone after watching them do layup drills in the first half..

I agree 100%. We have 3 centers -- A'ja, Jennings, LeLe -- and Herbert Herrigan, who is more of a 4 (and just ok on defense). We have one wing, basically, Cliney. Harris plays point on offense and usually guards a wing on defense. There's no way we can stay with UCONN in man to man. We're too slow. During last year's tournament run, we had Davis or even Gray at times guarding opposing team's 4. That team was just so quick and athletic.

That being said, it would be a mistake for us to discount the second half. Geno plays 6 players, that's it, for nearly the entire game, no matter the opponent, no matter the score. If they could have beaten us by 60 points last night, they would have. But, you're right, the zone gave them problems. I don't see us beating UCONN this season, but they are vulnerable. UCONN has 4 fantastic players who have great chemistry and great conditioning, but point guard is an issue again for them this season and Azura Stevens was not great off the bench last night. I might pick Baylor against them, if they played tomorrow.

Enlighten me. Has UConn or Tennessee, as great as they've been, ever had anyone leave early for the freakin' WNBA?!

Yes. Morgan Tuck, Diamond Deshields, and Candace Parker all left for the WNBA with college eligibility left. Those are just off the top of my head.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT