ADVERTISEMENT

September 10, 2011 - Sanford Stadium - Athens, GA SC 45 UGA 42 - Who . .

67gamecock

Oct 3, 2000
Lexington, SC
. . was there screaming for the Gamecocks? There have been some great games between these two schools, but the 2011 game in Athens ranks at the top of one I missed in person and would most liked to have witnessed - live!

Jawja fans have a well-earned reputation for being unmerciful to opposing fans visiting Athens - win OR lose. So, for those who were there that day, how was the trip back to your car/bus? Please share those moments with those who could not make it to Athens that day. Thanks!

GO 'COCKS!!!

Win or lose that was a very entertaining game. Ingram did everything but punter for us.

I read folks that say avoid the traffic, stay at home and watch the game on HD as if it's comparable. It ain't. I was there, it was awesome and will probably be in my top five forever.

I read folks that say avoid the traffic, stay at home and watch the game on HD as if it's comparable. It ain't. I was there, it was awesome and will probably be in my top five forever.

Were you mugged, spat upon, peed on, the recipient of vulgar accusations re: the legitimacy of your paternal birthright, or called regionally-referenced ethnic slurs (ex. A 'South Cacckalacky Dirt Eater)? Was your car keyed? Did you receive a 'beer shower' from guys in a fraternity no one ever heard of?

Did you whip any Jawja ass?

Were you mugged, spat upon, peed on, the recipient of vulgar accusations re: the legitimacy of your paternal birthright, or called regionally-referenced ethnic slurs (ex. A 'South Cacckalacky Dirt Eater)? Was your car keyed? Did you receive a 'beer shower' from guys in a fraternity no one ever heard of?

Did you whip any Jawja ass?
I've never had any problem with opposing fans of any school at home or away games. I must be a nice guy.

I've never had any problem with opposing fans of any school at home or away games. I must be a nice guy.

You were, indeed, blessed. I have NEVER spoken a word too, nor displayed a frown to any cretin native of Athens, Georgia,and environs, but alas, in victory OR defeat, there's no winning with that crowd. You are the bait, and they are the predator - always!

I was at this game. Afterwards, the UGA fans were just quiet. Shocked. No lip directed at me. Of course, I was respectful and didn't give it to them. I think I was just as shocked. I remember walking back and wondering how in the world we won that game. Ingram was superman. But remember, Clowney was responsible for his first fumble return TD. That punt return was unbelievable. He was fast....very fast. Lattimore on that final 4th quarter drive. 2 defensive TD's and a fake punt TD. CRAZY. I was shocked just like the UGA fans.

. . was there screaming for the Gamecocks? There have been some great games between these two schools, but the 2011 game in Athens ranks at the top of one I missed in person and would most liked to have witnessed - live!

Jawja fans have a well-earned reputation for being unmerciful to opposing fans visiting Athens - win OR lose. So, for those who were there that day, how was the trip back to your car/bus? Please share those moments with those who could not make it to Athens that day. Thanks!

GO 'COCKS!!!
I was there.....I left early.....i was a loser. I am better now I think

I was there. I live in Georgia so I was on cloud nine . Place the front page of the Journal -Constitution outside my door - hung it there for weeks!

I was there and it was awesome. We got some good natured and not so good natured taunts before the game. I remember a drunk tailgater with a megaphone yelling stuff at us. It's a crazy atmosphere, but a lot of fun. I was also there the year Brandon Bennet went over the top to win it in the final seconds. I was sitting in the UGA student section with a friend of a friend. At one point I felt something lightly hitting me. I turned around and a pretty UGA co-ed in a dress was flapping her red shaker back and forth against the top of my head. I'll never forget her telling me to "go f*** yourself" in that sweet Georgia drawl. Athens may not be for the faint of heart but it's a beautiful campus and a great road trip.

I was there in my one and only RV away game road trip. GA fans were very lippy before the game, dumb-struck and silent afterward.

I was there. Went to the game with my best friend from college. We stayed with his former girlfriend from high school, who was attending UGA. She lived with two other girls and they were all very attractive. The only drawback to this whole weekend was her super douche of a boyfriend (current boyfriend - not my friend).

My friend and I, the girls, and her boyfriend went out the night before the game. We asked how we were going to get down town. My friend tried calling a cab, but the girls all assured us that it was only like a half mile walk (tops) from their house. So we set out walking. I don't know if UGA students are just really stupid, or if it was that girls are not good with math, or they were just being cheap and didn't want to pay for a cab, but I can assure you it was not a half mile from their house. We walked for miles, easily close to 3 miles, and wouldn't you know it - it was all uphill. It was super hot and muggy outside, so by the time we got downtown I was sweaty.

Downtown Athens is ridiculous. EVERY SINGLE bar was packed to the gills, and the talent was on full display. Eventually after going to a few of their favorite bars and waiting 20 minutes or so to get drinks, my friend and I decided to head out alone and see if we could find a less crowded bar. It took a while, we walked several blocks in all directions it seems. Finally we came upon some restaurant place that was closing, but they had a bar off to the side that was still open. We ended up staying there for the rest of the night and it turned into an all Gamecock bar. Ran into lots of my fraternity brothers in there, although I had graduated at this point. I didn't witness any Georgia fans being rude to USC fans that night.

On the way home from downtown, my friend and I took a different route, hoping it might be shorter or less uphill. I have no idea how we got back on our own, since neither of us had ever been to Athens before; but our new route was no shorter and was also mostly uphill. On the way, we passed through an empty parking lot with a few portajohns in it - undoubtedly to be used by UGA football fans the next day. Long story short, after a brief debate we decided we should push the portajohns over. Did I mention we had just left downtown?

We wake up the next morning to the girls cooking us breakfast in some skimpy pajamas. After breakfast we shower and get ready to head out for a day full of what we thought would be tailgating. I throw on my garnet underarmour Gamecock polo and find my friend wearing a plain RED polo shirt. I proceed to give him shit about not having the balls to wear garnet. He says he just forgot to pack it. Finally we set out walking AGAIN (we did more walking in Athens that weekend than I do in a full season of attending home games) to go to the tailgate. It us, the girls and the douche boyfriend. We walk through several neighborhoods, and I'm thinking we're heading to the tailgate lots but then her boyfriend decides he wants to go to some house party near the stadium. We roll up to this small college residence and there must have been 100 or more people in there. Half Gamecock - Half Bulldawg. There were several kegs. Some guy tells us there's solo cups in the kitchen, drink all you want for free. We ended up staying there until it was time to walk to the stadium for the game. Along the way I did see some old men UGA fans barking at some Gamecock fans. They thought they were tough, but they looked pathetic - like the kind of guy who would paint a bulldawg on top of his bald head. We sat in the Gamecock section at the game and had a great time. We also got a reprieve from the boyfriend who was sitting in the UGA student section.

After the game, we start walking back the way we came to the game. My friend is trying to call his former girlfriend. It takes a while for her to answer. When she does, she tells us to turn around and walk back towards the stadium and then past it. They were at a different house. The boyfriend had made them leave the game early cause he was pissed we were winning. When we finally get to the house his ex girlfriend and her boyfriend are standing outside waiting for us and he tells me not to talk shit when we go in or I might get jumped by all the uga fans inside. I laugh at him. We go in and proceed to party and have a good time. Not one other person said anything negative to me. And my friend regretted pussing out and not wearing his gamecock gear.

All in all, it was the best away game road trip I have had.

I was there. Went to the game with my best friend from college. We stayed with his former girlfriend from high school, who was attending UGA. She lived with two other girls and they were all very attractive. The only drawback to this whole weekend was her super douche of a boyfriend (current boyfriend - not my friend).

My friend and I, the girls, and her boyfriend went out the night before the game. We asked how we were going to get down town. My friend tried calling a cab, but the girls all assured us that it was only like a half mile walk (tops) from their house. So we set out walking. I don't know if UGA students are just really stupid, or if it was that girls are not good with math, or they were just being cheap and didn't want to pay for a cab, but I can assure you it was not a half mile from their house. We walked for miles, easily close to 3 miles, and wouldn't you know it - it was all uphill. It was super hot and muggy outside, so by the time we got downtown I was sweaty.

Downtown Athens is ridiculous. EVERY SINGLE bar was packed to the gills, and the talent was on full display. Eventually after going to a few of their favorite bars and waiting 20 minutes or so to get drinks, my friend and I decided to head out alone and see if we could find a less crowded bar. It took a while, we walked several blocks in all directions it seems. Finally we came upon some restaurant place that was closing, but they had a bar off to the side that was still open. We ended up staying there for the rest of the night and it turned into an all Gamecock bar. Ran into lots of my fraternity brothers in there, although I had graduated at this point. I didn't witness any Georgia fans being rude to USC fans that night.

On the way home from downtown, my friend and I took a different route, hoping it might be shorter or less uphill. I have no idea how we got back on our own, since neither of us had ever been to Athens before; but our new route was no shorter and was also mostly uphill. On the way, we passed through an empty parking lot with a few portajohns in it - undoubtedly to be used by UGA football fans the next day. Long story short, after a brief debate we decided we should push the portajohns over. Did I mention we had just left downtown?

We wake up the next morning to the girls cooking us breakfast in some skimpy pajamas. After breakfast we shower and get ready to head out for a day full of what we thought would be tailgating. I throw on my garnet underarmour Gamecock polo and find my friend wearing a plain RED polo shirt. I proceed to give him shit about not having the balls to wear garnet. He says he just forgot to pack it. Finally we set out walking AGAIN (we did more walking in Athens that weekend than I do in a full season of attending home games) to go to the tailgate. It us, the girls and the douche boyfriend. We walk through several neighborhoods, and I'm thinking we're heading to the tailgate lots but then her boyfriend decides he wants to go to some house party near the stadium. We roll up to this small college residence and there must have been 100 or more people in there. Half Gamecock - Half Bulldawg. There were several kegs. Some guy tells us there's solo cups in the kitchen, drink all you want for free. We ended up staying there until it was time to walk to the stadium for the game. Along the way I did see some old men UGA fans barking at some Gamecock fans. They thought they were tough, but they looked pathetic - like the kind of guy who would paint a bulldawg on top of his bald head. We sat in the Gamecock section at the game and had a great time. We also got a reprieve from the boyfriend who was sitting in the UGA student section.

After the game, we start walking back the way we came to the game. My friend is trying to call his former girlfriend. It takes a while for her to answer. When she does, she tells us to turn around and walk back towards the stadium and then past it. They were at a different house. The boyfriend had made them leave the game early cause he was pissed we were winning. When we finally get to the house his ex girlfriend and her boyfriend are standing outside waiting for us and he tells me not to talk shit when we go in or I might get jumped by all the uga fans inside. I laugh at him. We go in and proceed to party and have a good time. Not one other person said anything negative to me. And my friend regretted pussing out and not wearing his gamecock gear.

Thanks for the great story. I, too, have had a few good experiences in Athens Town - and a few not-so-good ones, too.

awesome game, fans are ridiculous down there though, when they beat us in 2013, we had the walk of shame down the railroad tracks and we could see them a mile away waiting on us and they let us have it. We did sit in the georgia section 2007 and i was heckled the entire game by this guy until the interception that sealed it and I just looked over at him with a big smile as he walked off.

Interesting story...but I'm very curious how it was uphill both ways...from the house to downtown...and then from downtown back to the house. You said y'all walked uphill to downtown...but wanted to avoid another uphill walk back home, so you took a different route, which turned out to be uphill also. Umm...if it was uphill the first time, it would have been downhill the second time. (Sorry...I know that detail doesn't matter...I'm just a details guy.)

GO 'COCKS!!!
First row of the upper deck, above the UGA student section. They didn't like the Palmetto and Gamecock flags flapping above them too much. They'd turn, look up, and give double birds...so we'd wave, smile, and point at the scoreboard. Going behind late was real tough. Those 3rd and 4th down plays (passes to Ace and Alshon) were some of the most nerve shredding moments of all time. In the end...bliss.

GO 'COCKS!!!

I was there. One of my favorite games ever. The Georgia fans weren't that bad before the game, like any place else with some little jawing before hand. I found out that third deck is only about 10 feet from the sun, felt like I was watching from the blimp and it was definitely hot that day. Great game, the Georgia fans around us were pretty tame for the most part. They were pretty much in shock after the game. Did have one group of fans after the game a bit bitter and yelling at us, but just ignored them. Was feeling too good about the win to bother with them. Found a guy selling bottled water outside the stadium for a $1, after that sweatfest in the third deck, that may have been the best bottle of water I have ever drank. All in all, a great day and the Georgia fans were too much in shock to say much.

I was there. My wife's grandfather is a huge Georgia fan and I would go to games with him to help if needed. I was there in 07, 09, and 11. After 2012, he quit going due to health reasons. I had a ball most of that game, but was very tense just before Clowney knocked the ball from Murray and Ingram recovered for a touchdown. I lost it right then and went nuts in the middle of a bunch of UGA fans. Nobody said anything to me, though, and her grandfather just said congratulations after the game. Listened to the Georgia post game until we started losing it, then switched to Carolina's on the ride home. Great day.

Had a great time in 07, too. My wife was with us that day and would get mad everytime another Carolina fan would high five or say something to me as they were walking by. She kept asking if I knew them and I finally said that they were family today. She was so pissed on the ride home. The madder she got, the more I laughed about it. 09 was the first Carolina loss I saw in person.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT