ADVERTISEMENT

Serious discussion about Martin's Defense

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
Why has he not adjusted to a softer man defense. We play such a tight man to man. We had a couple of fouls near midcourt. The deny the pass defense 40 feet from the basket opens up the backdoor pass. Plus it opens up the dribble drive. The weak side help comes over to help and it leaves an open 3 on the pass back out. Very frustrating

Last edited:
We are incredibly vulnerable to the dribble drive. Our guards just aren't quick, and they routinely get their doors blown off.

Coming down the stretch today, I could not that believe AJL fouled on a double team out near the half court line when we had plenty of time to play defense, rebound, and make it a one possession game. In fact, he was chasing behind his man the entire game today.

In other words, you make very valid points.

Why has he not adjusted to a softer man defense. We play such a tight man to man. We had a couple of fouls near midcourt. The deny the pass defense 40 feet from the basket opens up the backdoor pass. Plus it opens up the dribble drive. The weak side help comes over to help and it leaves an open 3 on the pass back out. Very frustration.
This is exactly what I've been wondering this entire season (and most of the past 3 seasons.)
Frank believes in a certain style of defense. I can respect that. But his style of defense is not only giving up way too many points, it's directly contributing to our historically bad foul troubles. Sometimes you just have to reflect and realize that what worked yesterday isn't working today, and make the necessary changes.

Reactions: Brace1 and USC3307
This is exactly what I've been wondering this entire season (and most of the past 3 seasons.)
Frank believes in a certain style of defense. I can respect that. But his style of defense is not only giving up way too many points, it's directly contributing to our historically bad foul troubles. Sometimes you just have to reflect and realize that what worked yesterday isn't working today, and make the necessary changes.

Another thing that crossed my mind is, as another poster pointed out, the last 2 weeks of every season has been, at best, .500 every season. Is the physical defense taking a toll on our teams by the end of Feb/beginning of March? I think the answer is yes. The year before the FF, part of the reason for the ncaa snub was 3 losses to a mediocre uga team in the last 2 wks of the season. It’s really a shame — that was basically the Final 4 team with a fully developed & outstanding Carrerra in the line up.
It’s frustrating bc I do feel like, recruiting shortcomings aside, this team is talented enough to be in the ncaa. Like Carrerra 5 yrs ago, a great senior year (Kotsar) has gone for naught.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Why has he not adjusted to a softer man defense. We play such a tight man to man. We had a couple of fouls near midcourt. The deny the pass defense 40 feet from the basket opens up the backdoor pass. Plus it opens up the dribble drive. The weak side help comes over to help and it leaves an open 3 on the pass back out. Very frustration.
It is frustrating. I don't see what there is to gain by doing that. It usually just gets us in foul trouble

Reactions: GamecockJL
Another thing that crossed my mind is, as another poster pointed out, the last 2 weeks of every season has been, at best, .500 every season. Is the physical defense taking a toll on our teams by the end of Feb/beginning of March? I think the answer is yes. The year before the FF, part of the reason for the ncaa snub was 3 losses to a mediocre uga team in the last 2 wks of the season. It’s really a shame — that was basically the Final 4 team with a fully developed & outstanding Carrerra in the line up.
It’s frustrating bc I do feel like, recruiting shortcomings aside, this team is talented enough to be in the ncaa. Like Carrerra 5 yrs ago, a great senior year (Kotsar) has gone for naught.
I know it's a long shot to win the tournament but damn I wish we could for Kotsar. We are just seeing what he's capable of . That dude has gotten so much better. Hes a handful on both ends for anyone. We would be a team in the NCAA that no one would want to play.

I agree with all points here. Frank’s style of defense is very effective when your guards are just as quick or quicker than opposing guards. The thing is, most times this season(especially down the stretch here), opposing guards are quicker and our guys can’t keep them in front. The results, as you guys have said, are too many fouls, and too many points given up. I’d like to see a softer man and maybe a little more zone myself as well. That one really hurt today, no doubt about that.

Reactions: USC3307 and Expro19
I know it's a long shot to win the tournament but damn I wish we could for Kotsar. We are just seeing what he's capable of . That dude has gotten so much better. Hes a handful on both ends for anyone. We would be a team in the NCAA that no one would want to play.
Agreed. Maik Kotsar has been a beast this season. Hate that it’s likely his senior season won’t end in the big dance.

Reactions: Expro19
It may be a stretch to say this, but it feels like switching to a zone late in the game gets us a win over Boston. Their backdoor cut was killing us all night and we never adjusted to it.

Why has he not adjusted to a softer man defense. We play such a tight man to man. We had a couple of fouls near midcourt. The deny the pass defense 40 feet from the basket opens up the backdoor pass. Plus it opens up the dribble drive. The weak side help comes over to help and it leaves an open 3 on the pass back out. Very frustrating

All valid points. I will say we did get a lot of turnovers today, which is part of Martins defensive strategy. For some reason half the time we forced a Vanderbilt turnover, we turned it back over in less than 3 seconds.

One of our biggest issues is we are a poor rebounding team. When you give teams multiple chances they are going to make you pay.

The fouls 50 feet and further from the rim are frustrating. Unless it’s Steph or LeBron, they’re not pulling up from there.

Sometimes the help never comes which is why we get backdoor so much. If we’re asking a guy to deny then the help has to be there on a backdoor cut. Teams have found out we don’t help well and are backdoor cutting more.

1. Fire Ray Tanner (today.)
  2. Bring Danny Morrison in as interim AD
  3. Fire Frank Martin
  4. Attempt to hire Gregg Marshall
  5. If Marshall balks, quickly hire Steve Forbes
  6. Profit
Auburn would do this.

Clemson would do this.

LSU would do this.

We won't do this.

It's a hard defense to execute when you have your bigs on the perimeter. Normally, you'd leave Kotsar in the middle to defend the rim, but we put him outside to defend the 3. No matter what defense you execute you better do it well, because good teams are going to find and exploit any weakness. As the season went on most SEC teams figured us out. That's why Frank started using some zone. But again, the weakness there is you are vulnerable to the 3.

AJ Lawson is an individual defensive liability as a guard. He is not quick and not a great leaper. Smaller guards can blow right past him and most of the time he fouls. He's not strong enough to defend forwards. Offensively, he does not have the ability to get to the rim. He does not create his own shot very well. He is a role player - strictly a shooter.

Cous had a terrible offensive game yesterday and committed some dumb fouls. Kotsar played okay, but we needed a better game from him to force Vandy to collapse. They were able to keep Bryant away from the basket too. We had very few open looks for the 3.

Hannibal has plateaued this year. He has to work hard to get ready for next year or he will end up as a role player too. I think Frink and McCreary are just starting to develop.

Hopefully, Woods will provide a spark at guard.

Moss and Anderson will likely transfer. Neither can play at this level.

So I just watched the first half of the Maryland-Michigan game. 11 fouls total, sometimes minutes of action would go by without a foul being called. Clean, crisp play on both ends. Sometimes I forget what a basketball game is supposed to be like. It was like a different sport lol

Reactions: ddw1263
We will do.........nothing
  1. Fire Ray Tanner (today.)
  2. Bring Danny Morrison in as interim AD
  3. Fire Frank Martin
  4. Attempt to hire Gregg Marshall
  5. If Marshall balks, quickly hire Steve Forbes
  6. Profit
Auburn would do this.

Clemson would do this.

LSU would do this.

We won't do this.