ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question about Todd Ellis

Not G.I Joe

Sep 9, 2019
Why does he catch so much hate from our fan base?

He was a great QB for us and someone who bleeds garnet and black. You can hear the passion he has for the team during his calls and it's awesome.

Is it because he doesn't have the traditional,. exaggerated radio voice? That didn't seem to matter when he made the DJ Swearinger pick-6 "who cares" call, aka one of the greatest radio calls.of all time.

I think anyone who hates Todd Ellis is simply incapable of being happy.

Folks like to be angry. Is Todd a blueprint broadcaster out of central casting? No. Todd was a good QB, but not sure I would file him away in the great category. But like a lot of teams in college football, they like a homer on the radio over the polished radio voice. Nothing wrong with that. In my opinion he is as good as Fulton was. Many have a romantic notion about Fulton because he was the voice of the Gamecocks for so long. But one could listen to him for 30 minutes and not have a clue as to the score, or time remaining.

He was a great QB for us and someone who bleeds garnet and black. You can hear the passion he has for the team during his calls and it's awesome.

Is it because he doesn't have the traditional,. exaggerated radio voice? That didn't seem to matter when he made the DJ Swearinger pick-6 "who cares" call, aka one of the greatest radio calls.of all time.

Folks like to be angry. Is Todd a blueprint broadcaster out of central casting? No. Todd was a good QB, but not sure I would file him away in the great category. But like a lot of teams in college football, they like a homer on the radio over the polished radio voice. Nothing wrong with that. In my opinion he is as good as Fulton was. Many have a romantic notion about Fulton because he was the voice of the Gamecocks for so long. But one could listen to him for 30 minutes and not have a clue as to the score, or time remaining.

Don't hate him but he is simply not a good radio announcer. Yes, he deserves a spot in the total panoply of Gamecock sports broadcasts but not calling games

Of course, there aren't many great radio announcers left. The generation that grew up trained for radio has passed away.

A radio announcer needs to call baseball on the radio for at least 160 games before he is no longer a rookie.

bobfulton&frankmcguire.jpg

Yeah I probably pushed it a little with the "great QB" designation. Still though, it seems like he would be celebrated by our fans more than he is.

Reactions: JOEFANATIC
Yes, to hate your local radio announcer would indicate some kind of deeper issue.

He’s just not very good at calling games. Seems to have trouble keeping up with the action. Usually goes something like this: “so and so catches the ball at the 30, breaks a tackle, touchdown.” To each his own I guess

I'm not aware of any way in which he's embarrasses the university.
Let me remind you...
Nov 24, 2017 - "Clemson is scared to death of Will Muschamp's progress. That's a big part of this game as well. We are the up and coming team. They are cycling out. We're cycling in. That's a big part of the fear from the Tigers right now."

Let me remind you...
Nov 24, 2017 - "Clemson is scared to death of Will Muschamp's progress. That's a big part of this game as well. We are the up and coming team. They are cycling out. We're cycling in. That's a big part of the fear from the Tigers right now."
Will not be true this decade, if at all.

I would like to hear " ball 18 years in from the West side line Gamecocks moving toward the North goal". Or "it's a high, spiraling punt ".
I miss Bob Fulton

I would like to hear " ball 18 years in from the West side line Gamecocks moving toward the North goal". Or "it's a high, spiraling punt ".
I miss Bob Fulton

I'd like to hear the crowd going nuts with the cannon going off even hear the fireworks explode in the background noise while Fulton calls out he's to the 10 bow to 5.......TD

Reactions: Gaimcock
I don't know of many who hate Todd Ellis. There are plenty who think he isn't much of a play-by-play guy and would have preferred to see someone like Mike Morgan get the job. There are plenty who didn't appreciate his involvement in the Burn Lounge scheme...or the way Todd avoided consequences.

Bob has that voice though that made him unique. Most radio guys today are so bland and they all sound about the same.

No one can replace Bob Fulton who was here for so long. The best way I can explain it is he had that vintage 1940s-1960s “newsreel voice”.

But Todd Ellis is alright as an announcer. Sometimes I think the sound of his voice is annoying. He may be the next Bob Fulton in 20 or 30 years.

I liked it when he started yelling “WHO CARES” after Swearinger got the penalty for throwing the ball into the stands after a TD.
This was right after the referees were blatantly trying to turn the game in Arkansas by calling back to back to back penalties against us that didn’t exist.

Last edited:
Prediction: 40 years from now, Carolina fans will be on message boards saying "(Insert announcer name here) will never be Todd Ellis!"

Reactions: nc38
I think some lost money on his pyramid scheme.

Me? I just knew he was money for at least 2 interceptions a game a people act like he was a great qb. Far from it. He was huge and looked the part but all them boys waa juiced

Thx Tate

Reactions: PC31
I just don't love his sound is all...personally would like someone a little more polished.
However, that being said, I haven't listed to a game on the radio is probably 6-7 years because I live on planet Earth in year 2019....so, I don't really care that much :)

Reactions: howard13
I don't know of many who hate Todd Ellis. There are plenty who think he isn't much of a play-by-play guy and would have preferred to see someone like Mike Morgan get the job. There are plenty who didn't appreciate his involvement in the Burn Lounge scheme...or the way Todd avoided consequences.

^^^^This^^^^ and the fact Rob DeBoer got fired for his involvement in BurnLounge. Liz definitely looked out for Ellis.

Todd is fine he's all Gamecock. Margret Mitchell, the author of Gone With the Wind, was asked why she approved of English actors playing the roles in the movie she said. "Well, it's better than a yankee". That's the way I feel about Todd.

Not sure "hate" is the word. Like people have said the pyramid scheme thing was embarrassing. The Cycling in/out thing was embarrassing. The he is on the 35..the 45...the 55 thing was embarrassing.

If you have ever heard him do a game it's hard to tell if Lattimore was running for a 3 yard gain or taking one to the house with his voice( I haven't listened to him in a long time doing play by play). Plus he is probably the cockiest guy to ever throw 73 ints in their college career.

He sounds like a second rate hack that has been smoking Marlboros for the last 50 years.

He gets overexcited about a first down.

He says stupid things.

Besides that... I’m proud to have him as our play by play guy.

Only WE could hire Todd Ellis as our play by play guy and Ray Tanner as our AD. Other programs would go with proven people that acted like pros.

I dont see much Hate until a thread like this comes up and posters post his deficiencies.

Not a professional play by play guy, cant really portray the game very well to the radio listener, imho, and his voice is not smooth and appealing to a lot of fans, kind of feels forced on us which leads to resentments,

As a player was a important player, leader, I would not say Great QB, that is stretching it, his turnovers hurt his overall stats. Also was throwing to Sterling Sharpe and Bethea, an all time greatest Gamecock and a very good college WR.

Then some scamming stuff rubbed people the wrong way as well

Reactions: howard13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT