ADVERTISEMENT

Shame & disgrace

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
This the only thing I will say about Tennis...

Naomi Osaka was not only hiding her head after beating Williams, but she did it on the podium, hiding her head in shame for beating Williams...

That act alone is a disgrace to all winners any sport... Naomi Osaka should hold her head high and accept winning and beating the player in Tennis...

Serena Williams calls umpire a 'liar' and 'thief' as Naomi Osaka wins US Open final – video

Last edited:
It was an awkward situation for sure. Osaka played well and deserved to win. Maybe the chair umpire could have handled things better, but Serena could have handled things better too and not freaked out the way she did. I am glad Serena asked the crowd not to boo any more. It felt like Osaka was robbed of the right to enjoy her moment because of all the craziness. And I did admire the humility of Osaka too.

It was an awkward situation for sure. Osaka played well and deserved to win. Maybe the chair umpire could have handled things better, but Serena could have handled things better too and not freaked out the way she did. I am glad Serena asked the crowd not to boo any more. It felt like Osaka was robbed of the right to enjoy her moment because of all the craziness. And I did admire the humility of Osaka too.

There is a difference between humility and hiding your head in shame on the court and on the podium...

There is a difference between humility and hiding your head in shame on the court and on the podium...
I guess we just saw it differently. No big deal though. I think she admires Serena & she knew the crowd was pulling for Serena. I thought she was being humble and she was overcome with emotion with everything going on. But if you saw it differently, that’s fine.

Osaka beat a great player, the crowd, and nerves. Serena seems she has gotten too big for the game? oh, sorry: larger than the sport?. maybe theres not a good way to put it

She was made to feel like she commited a crime by the u.s. open officials saying her win was bot what everyone hoped for, but oh well. The hell is that about? The tournament officials were as shameful as Serena

Serena is a rock star, every bit the same magnitude as Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods. She can get the microphone anytime she wants it. There isn't a daytime talk show that wouldn't have her on. She didn't need to ruin that other young woman's triumphant moment the way she did. And no, I'm not saying she's wrong about the issues she raised, either. But I think her opponent is just as much a victim in all this, if not more so, and Serena bears the responsibility for that..

Last edited:
Does anyone remember John McEnroe? More specifically, all the epic tirades he used to go through with officials? How many times did he get fined? (That's an honest question. But I sure don't remember that being talked about much.) Or the time when the great Andre Agassi spit at an official and called him a SOB, and was definitely NOT fined for it?

As for the idiots booing Osaka, that was their own doing. Serena was not out there leading the mob. She's the one that stepped up and asked them to stop.

Serena has been fined multiple times over the last couple of months for wearing compression garments her doctor told her to wear to combat blood clots she suffered from child birth. You know, so she won't die?

Seems to me she had a legitimate beef.

This the only thing I will say about Tennis...

Naomi Osaka was not only hiding her head after beating Williams, but she did it on the podium, hiding her head in shame for beating Williams...

That act alone is a disgrace to all winners any sport... Naomi Osaka should hold her head high and accept winning and beating the player in Tennis...

Serena Williams calls umpire a 'liar' and 'thief' as Naomi Osaka wins US Open final – video

Ha! Look at the OMG thread! It obviously struck the nerve of multiple people!

Does anyone remember John McEnroe? More specifically, all the epic tirades he used to go through with officials? How many times did he get fined? (That's an honest question. But I sure don't remember that being talked about much.) Or the time when the great Andre Agassi spit at an official and called him a SOB, and was definitely NOT fined for it?

As for the idiots booing Osaka, that was their own doing. Serena was not out there leading the mob. She's the one that stepped up and asked them to stop.

Serena has been fined multiple times over the last couple of months for wearing compression garments her doctor told her to wear to combat blood clots she suffered from child birth. You know, so she won't die?

Not so fast my liberal friend...

Disqualifications that weaken Serena Williams' sexism accusations

http://www.marca.com/en/more-sports/2018/09/09/5b9524df468aebb72a8b4578.html

Not so fast my liberal friend...

Disqualifications that weaken Serena Williams' sexism accusations

http://www.marca.com/en/more-sports/2018/09/09/5b9524df468aebb72a8b4578.html
Don't see what liberal or conservative has to do with it. Just questioning the equal application of penalties across the board.

This article does cites a few cases over the last few decades. But it doesn't address how much Serena has been fined not only in this match, but in the months since her return. Again, she's been penalized for wearing something her dr prescribed for her physical wellbeing.

Reactions: funktavious
Serena was humble with respect to Osaka winning the match. She treated her with the respect and dignity due to an opponent who beats you. The officials, on the other hand, she felt wronged and handled it inappropriately. But that's tennis. Wish it were more like golf where you call your own penalties on yourself.

Reactions: funktavious
Don't see what liberal or conservative has to do with it. Just questioning the equal application of penalties across the board.

This article does cites a few cases over the last few decades. But it doesn't address how much Serena has been fined not only in this match, but in the months since her return. Again, she's been penalized for wearing something her dr prescribed for her physical wellbeing.

It's a figure of speech... So, don't be so thin skin...

Tennis has their standards... Besides, this isn't the first time Serena has had her outburst...

Check the history...

Probably she did, but she overreacted, and at the wrong time. She had and has other avenues available to her. Nobody liked McEnroe anyway.

Reactions: ansoncock
Serena was humble with respect to Osaka winning the match. She treated her with the respect and dignity due to an opponent who beats you. The officials, on the other hand, she felt wronged and handled it inappropriately. But that's tennis. Wish it were more like golf where you call your own penalties on yourself.
The damage to Osaka had been done.

Probably she did, but she overreacted, and at the wrong time. She had and has other avenues available to her. Nobody liked McEnroe anyway.

I took advantage of an opportunity to hang out with McEnroe for about 30 minutes about a year ago. I got to drive him from his hotel, back to the stadium. He is a likable guy, and was very interested in how all of the US tennis players are doing. I got the feeling that he is very patriotic. (He had his personal assistant with him, and they were discussing tennis events).

At not time did I engage in conversation with him. Perhaps that was a good thing.

Another friend got up early the following morning to transport him from his hotel to the airport. He was very appreciative of her getting up early on his behalf.

Last edited:
Reactions: SumterGamecockGuy
I took advantage of an opportunity to hang out with McEnroe for about 30 minutes about a year ago. I got to drive him from his hotel, back to the stadium. He is a likable guy, and was very interested in how all of the US tennis players are doing. I got the feeling that he is very patriotic.

At not time did I engage in conversation with him. Perhaps that was a good thing.

Another friend got up early the following morning to transport him from his hotel to the airport. He was very appreciative of her getting up early on his behalf.
I think that, if I only possess enough civility to be kind and considerate either in public or in private, but not both, I'm choosing public if I'm a public figure.

I think that, if I only possess enough civility to be kind and considerate either in public or in private, but not both, I'm choosing public if I'm a public figure.

I am not defending their behaviors, but both McEnroe and Serena were tennis prodigies. and as such were always catered to and told how great they are. Not a normal way to grow up. Same with lots of sports stars, and other stars. They can learn people skills, but the personal desire to learn these skills must be there.

Maybe the tennis umpire was being offensive, but Serena was wrong to create such a spectacle. Surely she knew every moment was on camera. Maybe she just no longer cared.....

'you owe me an apology!'

maybe a FB player can use that after a targeting call is reversed on replay.
BAWHAHAHA

People keep bringing up players from 30-40 years ago. If they did that now yea i think they would get penalized especially if that same chair umpire was calling their match. This umpire is known to penalize players. He did it twice to Djokovic last year and also nadal. Her coach admitted to cheating and giving her signals so she is the one who should be apologizing.

Its the "go to" excuse, the default reason for anything and everything that doesn't go ones way. Sad times we live in

Agree.
The saddest thing about it to me is that it can make it difficult for those with justifiable claims of sexism (or racism) to be heard. We hear it so many times that we get numb to it and, well, it turns into our labeling it what you just did.

Bring back the Block C.

Reactions: Cybercock
Agree.
The saddest thing about it to me is that it can make it difficult for those with justifiable claims of sexism (or racism) to be heard. We hear it so many times that we get numb to it and, well, it turns into our labeling it what you just did.

Bring back the Block C.
I think in Serena's case it is the residual effects of when she and her sister first entered the world of professional tennis. They weren't exactly met with open acceptance. I remember watching them when they were just teenagers and every facet of their game was critiqued. They went on to dominate the sport much to the dismay of their contemporaries.

Reactions: SCexpat38
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT