ADVERTISEMENT

Shame on Vic Schaefer

winloseortie

Feb 21, 2007
columbia
Could not get enough camera time with Morgan William after the UCONN game. Praising her talent, leadership, and toughness. Then hangs her out to dry by benching her the whole 4th quarter and acting as if she was not giving effort.

William did not play bad. Dawn schemed the girl out of the game and BCM played fantastic D. It was a repeat of our other two victories.
First game William was 2-11 4pts and 6 assists
Second game she 7-13 14pts 1 assist and 7 turnovers.

Schaefer was unable to draw up a game plan to help William and shames her by benching her. It's not like he didn't see this coming. Coach better Vic and don't publicly humiliate your star that you couldn't suck up to enough 2 days ago.

Could not get enough camera time with Morgan William after the UCONN game. Praising her talent, leadership, and toughness. Then hangs her out to dry by benching her the whole 4th quarter and acting as if she was not giving effort.

William did not play bad. Dawn schemed the girl out of the game and BCM played fantastic D. It was a repeat of our other two victories.

Schaefer was unable to draw up a game plan to help William and shames her by benching her. It's not like he didn't see this coming. Coach better Vic and don't publicly humiliate your star that you couldn't suck up to enough 2 days ago.
First, he has a right to coach the game situationally. Our own coach does that. We had neutralized her. He was justified.

We took her out of the game not the coach. We were on her like white on rice and it was clear with our defense she was not going to have the game she has been having.

Reactions: GSGP69
Why would you bench your best player in a close national championship game and she doesn't have a broken leg or is puking on the sidelines? William did not play bad, she was schemed and defended well. Don't just challenge her heart, do some coaching to help her.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
We took her out of the game not the coach. We were on her like white on rice and it was clear with our defense she was not going to have the game she has been having.

Would Dawn sit A'ja the whole fourth quarter of this game just because the other team was playing good D? Oh hell no!! She would draw up plays and change tactics. Total lack of imagination on his part. He didn't coach well so just blame the player

Would Dawn sit A'ja the whole fourth quarter of this game just because the other team was playing good D? Oh hell no!! She would draw up plays and change tactics. Total lack of imagination on his part. He didn't coach well so just blame the player
Who knows what actually happened and as a Gamecock I don't care. She ran up against a guard as quick as she was that's why we beat them three times.

Her backup was playing a much better game.

Who knows what actually happened and as a Gamecock I don't care. She ran up against a guard as quick as she was that's why we beat them three times.

BTW, UConn didn't do what we did to her. Yet all I hear is Miss St beating UConn. We'll see if get the credit.

Seems like a what have you done for me lately situation (as in this game). He dug their grave by not playing her. If it wasnt for her they wouldnt be in this game.

You may have answered your own question. After 2.5 games of watching the same thing happen, it was obvious to him that Williams wasn't going to be effective against us. You've only got 5 spots on the floor, so why waste one of them with somebody that's been schemed out of productivity? He obviously thought his chances were better with somebody else on the floor in her place.

Reactions: vacock#
You may have answered your own question. After 2.5 games of watching the same thing happen, it was obvious to him that Williams wasn't going to be effective against us. You've only got 5 spots on the floor, so why waste one of them with somebody that's bee schemed out of productivity. He obviously thought his chances were better with somebody else on the floor in her place.
Coach better, scheme better, help your player succeed.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Coach better, scheme better, help your player succeed.
I think that's exactly what he was trying to do. Part of coaching and scheming is matching up your personnel to theirs. Maybe it was the right call, maybe not. But I seriously doubt he sat her on the bench in the championship game solely to "teach her a lesson." He was coaching.

Wait a sec. If Vic made the wrong coaching call shouldn't we be pleased instead of being critical? I don't care if he benched his entire team because it wouldn't have mattered. Heck, I thought he was going to fall dead on the sidelines anyway the way he sweating like a pregnant nun at confession. This is about the Lady Gamecocks not some guy we beat 3 freakin' times. GO COCKS

We are a nightmare defensive matchup for MW. BCM is, at times, a defensive liability because of her size. No problem with that against MW. In addition, we have Gray, Harris, Cliney and Davis who can all switch on her if necessary. She couldn't find good shots on the perimeter against our long, athletic guards. Driving was out of the question because Wilson's patrolling the paint. I don't know what kind of game plan Schaefer could draw up that would overcome that.

I was thinking the same thing. Itty Bitty was heartbroken. She deserved better. Play her late, even after she got punked. Respect and acknowledgment, they aren't there without her.

Reactions: NetworkX
As someone who admittedly doesn't follow the woman's game like I follow our men, I watched the entire South Carolina-Stanford and Miss St Uconn games on friday night. I was blown away by Miss St preparation for Genos squad and their relentless defense, but more than anything I was blown away by Morgan William. I agree with the Original Poster actually-this is the national championship game not some midseason conference game- this isn't the time for a teaching moment. She helped you get to this moment and to bench her for the entire fourth quarter is flat out inexcusable unless there is more to the story we don't know yet. She deserved to have the opportunity to bring her team back into the game, it's not like benching her really worked out. It takes a lot to rub me the wrong way but that decision was mystifying and in bad taste, shame on the head coach who road her to the finals.

Reactions: NetworkX
N
Seems like a what have you done for me lately situation (as in this game). He dug their grave by not playing her. If it wasnt for her they wouldnt be in this game.
No one is owed anything if the person isn't currently useful. The team is about all the players and other stakeholders.

I read on the MSU board that she rolled her eyes at Schaefer and walked away. Apparently she was benched to start the tournament for a similar offense. I don't know...can't really argue with the coaching job he's done this season.

Reactions: king ward
E
I read on the MSU board that she rolled her eyes at Schaefer and walked away. Apparently she was benched to start the tournament for a similar offense. I don't know...can't really argue with the coaching job he's done this season.
Exactly right. If they don't want him down in Starke Ville, lots of other schools will take him.

Reactions: DarkCock
Jimnasium, I don't think anyone here wanted to lose to MSST. The question is, why did their star of several previous games get benched for the entire 4th quarter? There's a good discussion going on here about what their coach could've done to make her more effective against us. It's all hypothetical but I've been talking with friends in Mississippi about it too. I'll have to look into her status but I hope she's not a senior because that would really suck to miss the final quarter of the championship game in your senior season.

Personally, I enjoyed watching her play. She's quick and has a good shot. Bianca did a great job guarding her... stuck to her like glue even when the ball was nowhere near. 50? No, but I'd have been fine with her scoring 11 more points. :>)

GO COCKS!

I thought she looked exhausted at the end of the 3rd Quarter. BCM did a number on her. Maybe Vic thought she was out of gas. Give BCM some of the credit for totally frustrating her.

Reactions: DeepfriedCock
Vic Schaefer said the decision to leave William on the bench came down to reserve guard Jazzmun Holmes playing well at the time, and William not playing particularly sharp.

William, a junior, scored eight points on 2 of 6 shooting from the field. She had four assists and one turnover, but never got into a rhythm on either end of the floor in 23 minutes.

“Jazz played good today. Morgan, she had some struggles early,” Schaefer said. “Again, y'all, it's a long, hard grind of a year, of a season. We got in so late Friday night. We've been trying to almost play catch-up since then.”

Schaefer suggested that William may have lacked the energy she played with in Mississippi State’s thrilling upset over UConn on Friday night.

“I thought we had a couple kids today that just didn't quite have the energy level that we needed,” Schaefer said. “When you combine that with their energy level seemed to be really good, I think that made for a bad recipe for our not being able to handle dribble-penetration.”

Reactions: Tread Upon
Wait a sec. If Vic made the wrong coaching call shouldn't we be pleased instead of being critical? I don't care if he benched his entire team because it wouldn't have mattered. Heck, I thought he was going to fall dead on the sidelines anyway the way he sweating like a pregnant nun at confession. This is about the Lady Gamecocks not some guy we beat 3 freakin' times. GO COCKS
Thank you. Why do you people care we won that's what needs to be celebrated . Bianca played a classic box and one on her took her out of the offense . How about you all give Bianca praise to stop worried about that dang coach and his decision. Some folks just got to piss and moan about everything Bianca Played Great Defense the women step it win the championship and they worried about why the other team didn't play somebody.

Vic Schaefer owes Morgan Williams and every other player on his roster the best choices to win games...The backup point guard played better with 6 pts, 5 assts and zero turnovers...Itty Bitty got punked by Cuevas who is as quick and tough as she is

Schaefer said that he felt that Jazzmun Holmes was playing well and just decided to keep going with her rather than bring William back. His intention was to only have William on the bench for a few minutes, but elected to ride with Holmes once she started playing well. Holmes did finish with 6 points and no turnovers in 17 minutes. William had 8 points, but just two in the second half, and four assists.

i
Charlie Creme, ESPN.com

The Gamecocks were padding the lead while she was in the game. I believe it stretched out to 15 or so. When Holmes came in, the lead shrank to five.

The press was not effective against us with Itty in the game. Our players could just pass over her head. State began generating turnovers when Holmes entered.

Too many people are prone to make a something into a drama when it is about winning.

Reactions: adversary2
The Gamecocks were padding the lead while she was in the game. I believe it stretched out to 15 or so. When Holmes came in, the lead shrank to five.

The press was not effective against us with Itty in the game. Our players could just pass over her head. State began generating turnovers when Holmes entered.

Too many people are prone to make a something into a drama when it is about winning.

Good point. I wouldn't question him on benching MW. I do wonder why he didn't play some zone in the 4th or double the post more. His big girl was no match one-on-one against A'ja. I kind of felt bad for her.

She seemed like a hooch with an attitude issue to me.

Hell, after halftime, for some strange reason, she answered Holly Rowe's question with, "I just relieved myself." And this is a college student.....

Very surprised at this accusation by ANYONE not on the coaching staff and/or NOT in that huddle ... how many of us, within our own personal lives or professional responsibilities, have folks make comments without a CLUE of why things are done the way they are done .... As DarkCock noted "I just relieved myself" ... with her reportedly rolling her eyes and/or turning away ... she let her team down .... I applaud ANY coach who has the courage and toughness to recognize this ... recognize what gives your team the best chance to win right then and there ... let alone this was for the National title ... it is called tough love and being disciplined ... caring for your program and not the actions of one ... give credit where it is due ... BCM made her a non-factor and frustrated her to no end ... heck, did you notice Holly Rowe specifically pointed her out during the press conference in front of everyone?!? How often does that happen? Someone who had 4 points and she was a HUGE reason why they attacked the head of the snake ... you will not get this questioned from me ... her mother and relatives and close friends? Sure, they are human ... but to the MSU coach, I applaud you ... how often I have heard a coach say to players "I can lose with you on the bench" ... in other words, play within the team ....

Off my soapbox ... great season for both the Women and Men ... let's keep rising up ... life is good - Peace!

Reactions: DarkCock
But she has sat BCM. He really had no answers because we were the better team. I didn't watch the MSU-UConn game, but they must have played out of their minds to win that one. They shot their wad. It's all about matchups and they don't match up well with SC. You don't beat a team 11 straight by fluke.

Reactions: gamecock disciple
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT