ADVERTISEMENT

Should Zacch Pickens sit out championship game sat?

You should probably sit out as soon as you are identified as a potential high draft pick. Whether it’s the first game of the year or the bowl game. Who could blame you? College is about setting up for a career, and you don’t want to risk an injury by continuing to put yourself in harms way for your team. Your team ain’t gonna get you paid

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Only if he had committed to Alabama. Saban would have pulled his scholarship offer in a heartbeat. I doubt Muschamp (or most other coaches) would do that. Good way to get a bad wrap amount High School coaches quick.

It wouldn't be any safer.

Don’t disagree there but there is a difference in the motivation to decide whether to risk it or not.

I cannot think of a player that has pulled from a playoff game but several come to mind from the lower bowl games

It’s a championship. There’s a difference. If we were in the BCS playoff Deebo would be playing.

There's literally no difference when you draw up the bottom line. Suppose he gets hurt but he helped his team win the championship. Suppose the NFL passes on him because he got hurt and his career is over.

How does that championship help him in life? He'll have a baseball cap and small trophy for his troubles. They will say "National Champs", the other caps will say "Insert bowl game here - Champs"

End of the day, you've got baseball caps. Whoooppeeee..... goes to show you this whole line of thinking is quite flawed. All bowl games matter or none of them matter.

Apparently they all matter to the football programs around the country because nobody turns down bowl games anymore. But there *is* a difference between football programs and individual players. Self or team? Football is a team game, right?

Reactions: rangercock
There's literally no difference when you draw up the bottom line. Suppose he gets hurt but he helped his team win the championship. Suppose the NFL passes on him because he got hurt and his career is over.

How does that championship help him in life? He'll have a baseball cap and small trophy for his troubles. They will say "National Champs", the other caps will say "Insert bowl game here - Champs"

End of the day, you've got baseball caps. Whoooppeeee..... goes to show you this whole line of thinking is quite flawed. All bowl games matter or none of them matter.

Apparently they all matter to the football programs around the country because nobody turns down bowl games anymore. But there *is* a difference between football programs and individual players. Self or team? Football is a team game, right?

I’m not going to talk you into it if you think “all bowl games matter or none of them matter.” There’s no way the Birmingham Pizza Bowl matters as much as the Rose Bowl. It does not from a fans standpoint, attendance standpoint revenue standpoint or any other area you want to compare it to.

While you consider it selfish and yes there are some selfish motivations like not getting hurt before the draft there are some very unselfish actions too. If Samuel puts on the helmet and jock strap he plays. He is giving that next man in line more practice time and game time. This program moves on next month regardless of if Deebo plays or not.

While you can point to others logic as flawed, so is risking an opportunity to make lots of money in less than a year for “baseball caps.”

There is nothing Deebo can major in at the University of South Carolina where next year he could make hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars by April 2019. He is doing what is best for him and his family. If every player signed by our university contributed as much as Deebo Samuel, we are playing in a bowl much better than the Belk Bowl.

Reactions: ddw1263
I’m not going to talk you into it if you think “all bowl games matter or none of them matter.” There’s no way the Birmingham Pizza Bowl matters as much as the Rose Bowl. It does not from a fans standpoint, attendance standpoint revenue standpoint or any other area you want to compare it to.

While you consider it selfish and yes there are some selfish motivations like not getting hurt before the draft there are some very unselfish actions too. If Samuel puts on the helmet and jock strap he plays. He is giving that next man in line more practice time and game time. This program moves on next month regardless of if Deebo plays or not.

While you can point to others logic as flawed, so is risking an opportunity to make lots of money in less than a year for “baseball caps.”

There is nothing Deebo can major in at the University of South Carolina where next year he could make hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars by April 2019. He is doing what is best for him and his family. If every player signed by our university contributed as much as Deebo Samuel, we are playing in a bowl much better than the Belk Bowl.

We're not talking about Deebo. We're talking about player X, in college, playing in a BOWL GAME for a championship.

Answer the question: If player X gets hurt and misses his chance to play in the NFL but his team wins the bowl game, and thus the championship.....what does that championship do for him years down the road???

Answer: Nothing. Nada. Zip.

Ergo: there is literally no difference.

We're not talking about Deebo. We're talking about player X, in college, playing in a BOWL GAME for a championship.

Answer the question: If player X gets hurt and misses his chance to play in the NFL but his team wins the bowl game, and thus the championship.....what does that championship do for him years down the road???

Answer: Nothing. Nada. Zip.

Ergo: there is literally no difference.

1. You can say you’re not talking about Deebo...but it comes up the night he’s announcing he isn’t playing. You’re talking about Deebo. We’re not playing for a championship. Just stop. Will you ever see a Belk Bowl 2018 banner in Williams Brice Stadium? He chose to sit out a meaningless bowl game just as our Liberty, Independence, Carquest, Gators, Outbacks and Citrus Bowl were. It is what it is.

2. I don’t have to answer any question for you but no it doesn’t matter if “Player X” won a title except to say “I won a title.” At the end of the day a lot of guys would play through a lot to say that though.

However who cares if other than saying he won the title does not change his life? In fact you’re making my point. If no one cares then why would “Player X” risk a potential great paying job doing the same job for nothing? I’d be interested in your response to that question.

The University accepts a spot to the bowl game. Do you know why? Not because the game matters but because wait for it.....MONEY $$$$$$$$$. A decision of any player to play is their own personal decision. No one should play this game against their own will for any reason.

3. Answer the question: Do you really believe the Belk Bowl matters just as much as the Rose or Sugar Bowl?

Reactions: ddw1263
Deebo has nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing one last meaningless game in Charlotte. The bowl doesn't mean the same thing to him that it does to Bentley or Bryan Edwards. They still have something to gain. If they declare for the draft, there's a very good chance they don't even get picked.

HS kids have to impress colleges o even get to college, a prerequisite to entering the draft. They could sit three years and then enter the draft, but I can't think of one that has done that. They can be free agents after three years, but that's like starting in the mailroom. And they would need to be training the entire time. Nothing besides college FB can prepare you for the NFL.

Don’t disagree there but there is a difference in the motivation to decide whether to risk it or not.

I cannot think of a player that has pulled from a playoff game but several come to mind from the lower bowl games
If you haven't seen it, you will. All risk is the same if you actually play. Players will wake up to that and withdraw regardless. Their handlers will be able to persuade more impressionable ones not to play sooner - to protect their own (the handler's) interests, a factor that is doubtless already in force. It's coming. This involves a sliding scale of acceptability - a trend that will escalate unless addressed somehow. You'll have to insure anyone who thinks - or claims - he has a hint of a chance at a pro career. The cost will be high and choices will have to be made.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
It'll get worse from the current trend. Next, somebody will sit out a game because mama had a vision, or I just ain't feeling it, there was a big party over in town, etc. Chance of it snowballing like a lot of other things. Softness.

It'll get worse from the current trend. Next, somebody will sit out a game because mama had a vision, or I just ain't feeling it, there was a big party over in town, etc. Chance of it snowballing like a lot of other things. Softness.

Ain’t no Army/Navy players sitting you can bet your azz

Reactions: Jpcooper
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT