ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Bama's fake punt

Harvard Gamecock

May 5, 2014
Can't ever recall Saban calling such a bonehead play. Everything about it was wrong.
Slant's were open most of the night.
Running game was averaging almost 7 yards a play.
Could cut the lead down to 12 if FG is made.
And the Piece de resistance, the kicker running as lead blocker.

3 plays later Touchdown Clemson. Over and Out.

Its almost like Saban knew he was beat so he let the game turn into a blowout to provide motivation for his team for next year.

Can't ever recall Saban calling such a bonehead play. Everything about it was wrong.

Not defending the call, but the execution was horrible. It looked like something they hadn't even practiced.

I posted this last night...

https://southcarolina.forums.rivals...-ol-kirby-not-smart-got-the-idea-from.289315/

Just thought Id link it here. No biggy!

That was after the blown pass interference no-call. His kicker missed an extra point earlier (9th miss on the season). Saban had no confidence him. He probably should have just went for it on 4th down and gave Tua a chance.

Agree that Bama's running game was amazing. It's difficult to get blown out when you're running that well. Seems like Tua was trying to force the deep pass. Yes, Bentley hit the deep ball against Clemson, but we couldn't run like Bama. If you can run the ball against Clemson and keep their offense of the field, you should.

I think there are some serious issues on that coaching staff that really showed last night. When you have the kind of turnover they've had, you are going to miss on somebody.

That was simply the worst play in an entire GAME full of questionable play calls. If they had run the ball every single play of the game they would have scored more points.

That was simply the worst play in an entire GAME full of questionable play calls. If they had run the ball every single play of the game they would have scored more points.
They tried that once on a first and goal, twice at the 1 yard line, Clemson stoned them cold.

On two consecutive drives they were third and a few yards to get a 1st down while in the redzone.

They chose to throw on both of those third downs. 1 went incomplete, and the other attempt was a sack.

They then went for it on 4th each time and were stopped. My theory is if you're planning on going for it on fourth, then run the ball on 3rd. Make your goal on 3rd and 4 to get at least two yards, so it's then 4th and 2.

Bama seemed fine until they got in the red zone. Then managed to bog down with some head scratching calls. On the fake field goal, pretty sure there was some miscommunication. First off it should have been called off when Clemson showed their defensive alignment. Secondly, I don't think Bama's left side of the line knew it was a fake. Watch the replay. They are blocking like it is a field goal, not like a run. And that is where the tackle came from. Though I doubt it would ha e worked if they had. At they key point of attack Bama was using their kicker as a lead blocker. Against Clemson's front. That isn't going to work well. Bama had some issues Monday. A fairly inexperienced secondary that suffered more loss as the game went on. Missing their best pass rusher in Miller. And the coaching. Obvious that the OC had Maryland on his mind much more than Clemson, and rumors have it that the DC will not return at Bama. No clue if that is his choice, or Nick's. But with the confusion in their secondary a lot of the night, one would figure that the coaches meeting when they got back to Alabama was not pretty.

Honestly it reminded me of the fake FG Alabama tried the last time we beat them in Williams Brice. It was an act of desperation, but if you’re desperate go for it with your best on the field.

I agree with everything you just said — if they’re going to go for it, don’t go for it with a fake FG. However, to be factually correct, Bama averaged 4 yards per rushing attempt, not “almost 7 yards a play.”

Not defending the call, but the execution was horrible. It looked like something they hadn't even practiced.

They had the kicker as lead blocker for the holder up the gut. That was the most bizarre looking fake I’ve ever seen. A high school team would have blown it up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT