ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP--Josh Kendall re: Bobo

johnnohj

Jul 10, 2017
near ATL
Bobo is bringing the huddle back to South Carolina football.

"No huddle football is very, very effective. It stresses the defense. It allows you to sometimes get cheap yards, but to me football has fundamentally gone downhill because of going so fast." -- Mike Bobo

Which means he doesn’t have an offense that can be successful with no-huddle. He’d only have one after another three-and-outs, which would wear out the defense by halftime.

Reactions: 67gamecock
Yes, I totally agree with what he said. The no huddle is a good way to throw a team off their game if you can run it well... but to run it well you need to HAVE GOOD FUNDAMENTALS FIRST! If you have a bunch of new player or guys not used to going fast or a new scheme to implement... (check to all of those) stay away from no huddle most of the time! Let’s figure out good solid fundamental offensive football and toss in some razzle dazzle once our boys show they can throw and catch on a reasonable level. Very sensible statement...

Going huddle is contrarian. No huddle is status quo these days. Sorry if that offends you status quo folk !

I think no huddle has its place. Good for pressing an advantage. Good if you're clicking and the defense is confused. Otherwise, it just speeds up play and fast, bad play is not good. The huddle gives the offense (and defense, unfortunately) a chance to settle down and evaluate how they're doing as well as to refocus their minds. There's a reason teams huddle before plays. When you get in a rush, you get sloppy. Sometimes, in a well-oiled machine, you can afford a few mistakes. When you're fundamentally unsound as we are, perhaps this is the better approach.

The better question is: Why are we fundamentally unsound on offense, Coach Muschamp? Could it be that as a defensive coordinator and defensive guy that you have ZERO clue what offensive fundamentals look like?

I wonder if they're going to split the team up between the two "head coaches" kind of like Spurrier did with Johnson here early. Bobo could be completely in charge of the offensive development and training instead of those being more team exercises.

Which means he doesn’t have an offense that can be successful with no-huddle. He’d only have one after another three-and-outs, which would wear out the defense by halftime.
Huh?????

I think no huddle has its place. Good for pressing an advantage. Good if you're clicking and the defense is confused. Otherwise, it just speeds up play and fast, bad play is not good. The huddle gives the offense (and defense, unfortunately) a chance to settle down and evaluate how they're doing as well as to refocus their minds. There's a reason teams huddle before plays. When you get in a rush, you get sloppy. Sometimes, in a well-oiled machine, you can afford a few mistakes. When you're fundamentally unsound as we are, perhaps this is the better approach.

The better question is: Why are we fundamentally unsound on offense, Coach Muschamp? Could it be that as a defensive coordinator and defensive guy that you have ZERO clue what offensive fundamentals look like?

I wonder if they're going to split the team up between the two "head coaches" kind of like Spurrier did with Johnson here early. Bobo could be completely in charge of the offensive development and training instead of those being more team exercises.
This is probably the staff's thinking too. Playing football is a chess match at times. Unfortunately, for the past 2 years we've been playing checkers.

Exactly the philosophy Champ had at UF. Always protecting the defense first. Problem was his offenses rarely ran as many plays as his opponent. Some games it was astonishing the difference.

Connor Shaw knew when to huddle
Yep...only huddle when you need to.
Who needs a huddle?....they all look to the sidelines and get a signal. Getting to the line early gives the QB more time to look things over and make adjustments if needed.

Maybe this is a ruse? Let it leak out that we will huddle and then first game play fast?

I find you people dogging the huddle comical. The pros huddle most of the time. The no huddle doesn’t do crap or wear out a defense unless you get first downs. Let’s start with getting those then we can worry about our no huddle.

Last edited:
I’ve heard nothing but good things about Bobo but let’s be honest at UGA he had guys like AJ Green , Todd Gurley , Keith Marshall , Nick Chubb , Sony Michel , Mecole Hardman , Aaron Murray , etc etc . All I’m saying is he had some insane talent across the board and also one of the best OL’s in college football . VERY different situation he stepped into here . We don’t have a single offensive player that would make 3rd team All SEC now . Honestly I think this is the least talented offensive group we have had in a long time . Not saying there aren’t some potential breakout players but I will be shocked if this years offensive production is much better than last year .

Bobo is bringing the huddle back to South Carolina football.

"No huddle football is very, very effective. It stresses the defense. It allows you to sometimes get cheap yards, but to me football has fundamentally gone downhill because of going so fast." -- Mike Bobo

For the life of me I don't know why Bobo would make such a statement. Football is situational. Sometimes the no-huddle needs to be employed. You make sure that your QB can operate in both situations. The transition by the QB/Offense between huddle and no-huddle should be seamless in a well-coached team. Bringing in another QB to run the no-huddle is a dead giveaway.

I see WM's hand in this. He wants to run a ball-control O. If I am to guess WM had his usual input here. I am also uncertain how successful Bobo can be? He did not shine at Colorado State and that was in the Mid-West. With the situation here, being unlike Georgia and with WM as the HC, Bobo has his work cut out for him.

For the life of me I don't know why Bobo would make such a statement. Football is situational. Sometimes the no-huddle needs to be employed. You make sure that your QB can operate in both situations. The transition by the QB/Offense between huddle and no-huddle should be seamless in a well-coached team. Bringing in another QB to run the no-huddle is a dead giveaway.

I see WM's hand in this. He wants to run a ball-control O. If I am to guess WM had his usual input here. I am also uncertain how successful Bobo can be? He did not shine at Colorado State and that was in the Mid-West. With the situation here, being unlike Georgia and with WM as the HC, Bobo has his work cut out for him.
He's not saying they will never run it. He's saying their base offense will not run without a huddle. No huddle offense has been a thing for long before it was called the no huddle style.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT