ADVERTISEMENT

Sir Tanner has got to go

slide_279239_2071948_free_zpsryujtjmm.gif
That's funny. Well done.

I think it's the fact that the University hired him to begin with that chaps most people's backsides. This is an SEC school... he had never been an AD. It was/is absurd to think he was ready for the job. He essentially said hire me or I'm gone but of course, he was gone as baseball coach either way. Even if he's learned on the job, there is no question in my mind that his inexperience thus far has hurt the athletic program.

No doubt. Not to mention us hiring Tanner would be like Clemson hiring Dabo this week to become their AD. We freaking hired our own best coach away from us. So stupid.

No doubt. Not to mention us hiring Tanner would be like Clemson hiring Dabo this week to become their AD. We freaking hired our own best coach away from us. So stupid.
To be fair, Ray was done coaching either way. But we should've just wished him well and thanked him for his contributions and the titles he won and sent him on his way. Then we could've hired a real AD.

Maybe but I stand behind my assessment that as a former coach, Ray Tanner is far too hands off with his coaches. This was on display with Holbrook and Spurrier. We need a business executuve running and managing this hundreds of millions of $ business......not an old coach buddy. Carolina's women's sports have saved Tanners behind and I guess that can continue if we all are ok Carolina to be a womens sports school.
Would you be okay if USC was a mens sports school? Personally, I want USC to be an ALL sports school.

Would you be okay if USC was a mens sports school? Personally, I want USC to be an ALL sports school.

Most fans would take Clemson's success in CFB and be mediocre in all other sports. Football is the program that drives GCC donations far more than all other sports.

Reactions: Brace1
Maybe but I stand behind my assessment that as a former coach, Ray Tanner is far too hands off with his coaches. This was on display with Holbrook and Spurrier. We need a business executuve running and managing this hundreds of millions of $ business......not an old coach buddy. Carolina's women's sports have saved Tanners behind and I guess that can continue if we all are ok Carolina to be a womens sports school.

This article seems to contradict your assessment...

https://southcarolina.rivals.com/news/why-thomas-brown-joined-the-gamecock-staff-now

Reactions: rogue cock
.......Personally, I want USC to be an ALL sports school.

Most fans would take Clemson's success in CFB and be mediocre in all other sports. Football is the program that drives GCC donations far more than all other sports.

Sadly, this is true, SpurCock. And such fans would make poor athletic directors.

That was the problem...the scenario you mention was not going to happen. Holbrook leaves if Tanner doesn’t hire him. No doubt. With Montle Lee and Holbrook, it was going to be one of those two. Tanner wasn’t going to lol outside. The hire of Holbrook was by far the logical hire.
Holbrook was well thought of at N. C. and here when he was an assistant. Hiring him was a logical move at the time. Too bad it went off the rails. Our A. D. took care of his mistake.

I dont see anything in that article that contradicts my assessment.

You mean other than Tanner getting involved in the hiring process to expedite it?
Or that Tanner said "he and Muschamp talk all the time about potential staff changes and upgrades"?
Hands off?

Reactions: rpp2001
You mean other than Tanner getting involved in the hiring process to expedite it?
Or that Tanner said "he and Muschamp talk all the time about potential staff changes and upgrades"?
Hands off?

Well from my prospective you are reading a lot into it. Tanner was mostly recapping what happened. Of course he and the coach have conversations. None of us know what the content of those conversations are.

I think in general he is way too hands off. Its ok, we can disagree.

Well from my prospective you are reading a lot into it. Tanner was mostly recapping what happened. Of course he and the coach have conversations. None of us know what the content of those conversations are.

I think in general he is way too hands off. Its ok, we can disagree.

Lol.

I think it's the fact that the University hired him to begin with that chaps most people's backsides. This is an SEC school... he had never been an AD. It was/is absurd to think he was ready for the job. He essentially said hire me or I'm gone but of course, he was gone as baseball coach either way. Even if he's learned on the job, there is no question in my mind that his inexperience thus far has hurt the athletic program.

My brother is a diehard Clemson fan who doesn't wimp out and still considers college baseball as part of the big 3 sports. When we hired Tanner as AD, he loved it and considered it a WIN WIN for Clemson. We no longer had a baseball coach that had won two chanpionships and kicked Clemson's and we had a major drop off at AD. He was thrilled.

My brother is a diehard Clemson fan who doesn't wimp out and still considers college baseball as part of the big 3 sports. When we hired Tanner as AD, he loved it and considered it a WIN WIN for Clemson. We no longer had a baseball coach that had won two chanpionships and kicked Clemson's and we had a major drop off at AD. He was thrilled.
And it looks like he was right to be.

The bottom line is that our athletic department is getting absolutely BOAT RACED by not only Clemson, but really just about every school in the SEC with the exception of Vandy, Mississippi State, and i'll throw Ole Miss in there since they are dealing with sanctions. Whether people like it or not, it starts at the top and Ray Tanner, as AD, shoulders the blame for this.

The bottom line is that our athletic department is getting absolutely BOAT RACED by not only Clemson, but really just about every school in the SEC with the exception of Vandy, Mississippi State, and i'll throw Ole Miss in there since they are dealing with sanctions. Whether people like it or not, it starts at the top and Ray Tanner, as AD, shoulders the blame for this.

Okay genuises. Since y'all know so much what does Radakovich do that Tanner doen't? Or what does Tanner specifically do that Radakovich does not? Where exactly do you believe that Tanner lacks? Be very specific because any idiot can throw out generalized criticisms based on absolutely nothing. And don't throw out your criticisms that EVERY DAMNED OTHER AD does on an annual basis.

Okay genuises. Since y'all know so much what does Radakovich do that Tanner doen't? Or what does Tanner specifically do that Radakovich does not? Where exactly do you believe that Tanner lacks? Be very specific because any idiot can throw out generalized criticisms based on absolutely nothing. And don't throw out your criticisms that EVERY DAMNED OTHER AD does on an annual basis.

You mean other than winning?

If we were winning in Football, Baseball and Basketball, would you give Tanner any of the credit?

1. Neutering Frank right off the bat and suspending him for a game... terrible look for the program
2. Allowing Thornwell to be suspended for Clemson game we would have won easily. I'm going off what bigger boosters have told me but there you are... it was Ray's call.
3. The ridiculous ticket fiasco to end our season.
4. Allowing Holbrook to essentially be feeling out other jobs his last year rather than giving him an ultimatum to do his.
5. Either having no idea that Spurrier had ceased recruiting and asking him to come back after the Miami win. The "enemies" speech during camp should have been a massive red flag.
6. Continuing to allow an athletic program that NEVER EVER responds to any requests I've ever sent or seen sent in my educational tenure for pennants, videos from coaches, etc. Over and over and over I see requests made to USC and Clemson for things like this... twice I've seen Dabo send personal videos to schools in which I've worked. Every. Single. Time. USC simply doesn't respond at all. And I'm talking 40 or 50 instances over the last 10 years or so (so it goes beyond merely Tanner).

My essential point has always been that the SEC isn't the kind of league to learn on the job. Feel free to disagree.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
You mean other than winning?

If we were winning in Football, Baseball and Basketball, would you give Tanner any of the credit?
Without question. Football in particular I lay partially at his feet... the Spurrier thing shouldn't have been invisible to someone in charge of the whole thing.

DRad never suspended a player for some rule we still don't know (Thornwell). Taters don't suspend players internally at all UNLESS the NCAA catches them and forces them to as we saw during the playoffs. DRad also makes significantly less than Ray and DRad has more AD experience.

DRad never suspended a player for some rule we still don't know (Thornwell). Taters don't suspend players internally at all UNLESS the NCAA catches them and forces them to as we saw during the playoffs.
He also doesn't say stuff like (and I'm paraphrasing) "our new facility might not have all the bells and whistles that some others do but it's a good facility anyway"

1. Neutering Frank right off the bat and suspending him for a game... terrible look for the program
2. Allowing Thornwell to be suspended for Clemson game we would have won easily. I'm going off what bigger boosters have told me but there you are... it was Ray's call.
4. Allowing Holbrook to essentially be feeling out other jobs his last year rather than giving him an ultimatum to do his.
5. Either having no idea that Spurrier had ceased recruiting and asking him to come back after the Miami win. The "enemies" speech during camp should have been a massive red flag.
6. Continuing to allow an athletic program that NEVER EVER responds to any requests I've ever sent or seen sent in my educational tenure for pennants, videos from coaches, etc. Over and over and over I see requests made to USC and Clemson for things like this... twice I've seen Dabo send personal videos to schools in which I've worked. Every. Single. Time. USC simply doesn't respond at all. And I'm talking 40 or 50 instances over the last 10 years or so (so it goes beyond merely Tanner).

My essential point has always been that the SEC isn't the kind of league to learn on the job. Feel free to disagree.

My compliments, really well done.

And Frank's cussing on air is a "good look" for the program....and if Frank can't coach a game without cursing, he isn't much of a coach.

Blame Thornwell for that. Thornwell served the suspension the rules of the athletic department called for. Thornwell new the penalty...all players do. Unless you want the AD to favor certain players over others.

I didn't like that either. I'll give you that one.

While Holbrook was contacting CoC, that doesn't mean Tanner knew it until it was too late to do anything about it. You are projecting on this one. Holbrook went behind Tanner's and everyone's back to contact his buddy at CoC.

Spurrier's wife convinced him to come back, not Tanner. And as King Ward and others have pointed out...you can NOT fire Spurrier, period. Tanner gives the coaches what they need to recruit, he doesn't micromanage their recruiting or their hiring....and Spurrier wouldn't have put up with it if he tried. And NO ONE wanted Spurrier to leave after the Miami game....until later crap came out about what little they were doing.

This was worse under our "professional" ADs. Tanner is much more responsive than McGee and Hyman ever were.

Reactions: CockaDude-a-Dude
DRad never suspended a player for some rule we still don't know (Thornwell). Taters don't suspend players internally at all UNLESS the NCAA catches them and forces them to as we saw during the playoffs. DRad also makes significantly less than Ray and DRad has more AD experience.
By the length of the suspension, it is pretty obvious what the suspension was for. The suspension increases due to each incident and he came back exactly at the time the set suspension ended.

Without question. Football in particular I lay partially at his feet... the Spurrier thing shouldn't have been invisible to someone in charge of the whole thing.
You want him to fire Spurrier? Yeah, that'd go over well. Would love to see what the local and national media would do with that one.

You want him to fire Spurrier? Yeah, that'd go over well. Would love to see what the local and national media would do with that one.
Simply allow to him to resign when he tells you he's not doing a great job any longer

Simply allow to him to resign when he tells you he's not doing a great job any longer
Honestly I think Jerri didn't want him to leave. Spurrier would never admit that cause he's not going to throw his wife under the bus but I think she was worried about Jr and his gaggle of kids.

Reactions: Cock-Vader
you have to admit though that the search firm was a joke and a waste of money and time. There were plenty of up and coming cosches we could have targeted after Kirby and Herman. Tanner got so damn hungup on experience being a large factor that he doesn't realize HE had little experience being an AD and was given a chance.

Reactions: drawplay000
you have to admit though that the search firm was a joke and a waste of money and time. There were plenty of up and coming cosches we could have targeted after Kirby and Herman. Tanner got so damn hungup on experience being a large factor that he doesn't realize HE had little experience being an AD and was given a chance.
Hyman used the search firm....as far as I know, Tanner did not.

Reactions: robertfootball

He also didn't back Coach Staley up when the Mizzou AD trashed her.

Can I add a few points here?

7. Giving in to the conference/LSU when we had the hurricane game back in 2015 season and playing as the home team at death valley. I mean what the hell is that?
8. Flying the g-d SEC flags at williams brice. No reason to see UGA flying tall as I'm walking up the spiral ramp to the east section.
9. Complete lack of effort to field a decent golf team. Alabama/Auburn/UGA/Clemson all destroy is in that dept. Hell UGA has a course in Athens thats open to the public and nicer than some private clubs. With the draw of golf in the state of SC as well as the abundance of undeveloped land in columbia, no reason to not embrace the sport.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT