ADVERTISEMENT

SLANTS AND PLAYING 5 YARDS OFF

Cocky_11

Jan 31, 2014
If we don't play tight coverage and kill the slants, we goin to be in some trouble early on the road and this isn't a team that can come back like we did few years ago @ Mizzou and we are giving to much cushion, Al Harris needs to step up and play his best game or he is going to get picked on and make Matty look like a good QB.

I suppose the logic behind this is that our corners aren't really good enough to play "bump and run" coverage and we don't want to keep giving up long balls over the top.

Still, pretty annoying when teams realize they can exploit slants and bubble screens against us.

Hopefully we won't allow to Mauk to put up All American and Heisman trophy numbers. We seem to allow career numbers to occur.

I believe our corners are good enough to play press coverage with safety help over the top. It worked the second half vs UNC & Kentucky. All this playing off WR's & giving up uncontested slants & skinny posts is uncalled for. We have to do better. We can beat Mizzou if we do.

its frustrating to see it against georgia and continued to happen saturday against UCF, we cant be afraid to get beat deep, play with confidence and know that ur not going to let the man ur covering catch the ball

Reactions: parhley
All of these offenses work as timing routes....you screw up the timing with the bump and run and you screw up the offense. Make them have to adjust.....not eat our lunch on every play.

I'd rather get beat deep on a couple of balls per game than to allow teams to just slant their way to touchdown after touchdown. The longer the throw the less chance it has of being completed. Every team we play sees it why can't our coaches see it?

Reactions: bmhood1984
Trust me. The coaches see it. But talent is the problem. And I think Hoke is in a box. Does he try and play press and get beat over the top on a regular basis, or do you play bend but don't break and hope to get a turnover, a penalty to set them back, or hold to a field goal by making them drive the length follow the field? Not sure if any of you have actually watched the cornerbacks, but it isn't exactly Deon Sanders out there. And while the pass rush is a bit better than last year, it isn't pressuring any decent team consistently. Good teams (Georgia) not at all. It's all about talent. And Hoke doesn't have a lot of good choices.

I suppose the logic behind this is that our corners aren't really good enough to play "bump and run" coverage and we don't want to keep giving up long balls over the top.

Still, pretty annoying when teams realize they can exploit slants and bubble screens against us.
I still don't understand the logic. In the Cover 2 the Corners have help in deep third. It makes no sense to just "give up" the 5 to 7 yard pass plays.

When we had Gilmore, Holloman, Swearingen, Allen etc., they were big and played man up on the line and bumped receivers off of routes. Of course we did have a pass rush, but these corners are just too small to do that. In this Tampa 2, Holloman has sole deep, middle coverage and he is plain way back and they are dragging tight ends across the middle for 10 yards all the way down the field.

Agree with all of this.
Most of these QB's throw to a spot and IT IS a lot of 'timing' ... sideline throws are LONGER throws and give the CB's more time to react. We've got to at least TRY playing inside shoulder and jamming ';em at the line of scrimmage to take away these incessant slants and 8-10 yard plus run for 3-5 additional yard conversions. If they bust outslde follow them and we'll STILL have more 'time to react'. Inside on these slants it's dang near 'automatic' ... at least on the sideline throws they have to get it over the defenders head.

Right now, there is NO threat of press coverage. As we always seem to be 7-10 yards off, the OC can call a slant anytime, and have some assurance that we will be in that type of coverage. We don't have to play press coverage every play but just enough to mix things up. If you mix it up, even just a couple of times, unless its a hot route, the OC can't be sure that the coverage will be right for it to work, so less likely to call it. Plus, at that point, you at least start to better disguise other coverages.

I still don't understand the logic. In the Cover 2 the Corners have help in deep third. It makes no sense to just "give up" the 5 to 7 yard pass plays.

Even with the safety help up top our corners are probably not good enough to consistently bump and run.

But this is where a talented DC would come in and create a scheme that hides our weakness at CB while not constantly letting up slants and skinny posts that go for 7-10 yards at a time.

Another problem we have is that our pass rush isn't what it used to be, which is obvious. It's a lot better than last year but our guys are fairly young and they need time to get better. Right now we're not getting adequate pressure on good teams, and that makes a shaky secondary that much worse.

Even with the safety help up top our corners are probably not good enough to consistently bump and run.

But this is where a talented DC would come in and create a scheme that hides our weakness at CB while not constantly letting up slants and skinny posts that go for 7-10 yards at a time.

Another problem we have is that our pass rush isn't what it used to be, which is obvious. It's a lot better than last year but our guys are fairly young and they need time to get better. Right now we're not getting adequate pressure on good teams, and that makes a shaky secondary that much worse.

If you have flat/sideline responsibility, you don't have to be good to press. Just play up and inside and give the receiver a shot off the ball. At least it takes away the slant and gives the DL more time to pressure the QB. With only a 3 step drop and throwing the short stuff, no defense can get pressure on the QB. You have to make him hold the ball for another 2-3 counts for the DL to be able to get to the QB. You can do that even with bad cornerbacks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT