ADVERTISEMENT

Smart, Herman and Fuente are all huge risks...

Sending an SOS

Aug 20, 2005
I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy with one of them, but they are all equal risks in my opinion for different reasons. I'm not sure how anyone can argue that one is better than the other. If I had to force rank them, I'd put Smart first, Herman in a close second, and Fuente in a distant third.

Our only options are an established HC or one of these guys. I think an established HC would be less risky but might also have less upside. Let's face it, this program is at a crossroads, and I'd hate to be in Tanner's position right now...

Agree, but any coach is a risk. We could hire Gary Patterson, but it's no given he would succeed here like he has at TCU.

There has never been a decision that I have ever made that didn't come with risk. You minimize you risk by creating a calculated process for making those decisions. This will be a well thought out, closely scrutinized hiring with a lot of input. The ultimate decision will not be Tanners alone as it may seem. These candidates all come with their strong points and their weak points. I will say that if you talk to anyone that hires for major companies they will tell you that people skills are far and above the most important thing to look for. Those are skills that will trump all others because that's how things get done. You have to find a tactician with people skills....and it will be a home run. I think that's why Herman stands out. He gets his hands dirty and tries to get people involved....Staley is in that same mold and Herman will bring the same qualities. He fixed the tiles on the floor of the complex with his own money with his kids help. He is leading a drive to fill the stadium and he believes recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. He's the guy I want to "risk" it all with. It doesn't hurt that his wife is 'drop dead' gorgeous either....lol

Last edited:
...another addition to my take on Herman....

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/tom-hermans-not-happy-with-uh-attendance-7871103

So University of Houston head coach Tom Herman went on the radio Wednesday night and shared a few thoughts about the problems with UH attendance:

“To me,” he said, "we’re not selling out every home game. I would ask why? What more do you need to see? You need a better product on field or more exciting game? I’m confused when I ask Cougar Nation why are you not at every home game? I get some blank stares sometimes because the answer is ‘Coach, I don’t have a reason.’ There isn’t a good reason.”

Reactions: GCMD2
Agree, no doubt. We have to find the most acceptable risk. Outside of a surprise hire of a very successful, established, young, existing head coach like Sumlin or similar, these guys are the top candidates. I like Herman's track record and history with Urban Meyer...man, I'm glad I'm not making this decision.

It's interesting to compare Smart and Herman. I think these two set themselves apart from Fuente. Smart has no history as a HC, but he has learned from the best, and he knows the SEC and the SE region. He is a great recruiter and a players coach.

Herman has HC experience, has also learned from the best, and he seems to be a charismatic leader who will do any and everything to get the job done. He doesn't have the local recruiting ties, but he just seems like the sort of coach that players would want to play for.

I'd be okay with either of these guys if we can get a bigger name.

Not that In selling Fuente short. He has his own positives. I just think the other two have some specific strengths (recruiting) that are better suited for our needs...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT