ADVERTISEMENT

So Cousinard is this years Te'a Cooper

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
Another season of basketball and another season of NCAA taking its sweet time deciding a young persons life in the basketball program at the Univesity of South carolina. We all know they have deadlines they expect others to meet but they seem to never have deadlines themselves. The way I see it, if the guy is in school and is taking classes as a student, then there should be no problem. He was accepted from an academic standpoint at a school that seems to notoriuosly keep questionable athletes out, but NCAA still isnt sure if he did what he was supposed to do. They took their time on Cooper last year as well and made her sit a full second straight year after injury before playing. Meanwhile the Notre Dame girl got in, in a couple of days. If this kid was at Duke or UNCheat then he would have been playing a long time ago. It sickens me how they treat those they are to serve and help.

Another season of basketball and another season of NCAA taking its sweet time deciding a young persons life in the basketball program at the Univesity of South carolina. We all know they have deadlines they expect others to meet but they seem to never have deadlines themselves. The way I see it, if the guy is in school and is taking classes as a student, then there should be no problem. He was accepted from an academic standpoint at a school that seems to notoriuosly keep questionable athletes out, but NCAA still isnt sure if he did what he was supposed to do. They took their time on Cooper last year as well and made her sit a full second straight year after injury before playing. Meanwhile the Notre Dame girl got in, in a couple of days. If this kid was at Duke or UNCheat then he would have been playing a long time ago. It sickens me how they treat those they are to serve and help.

This is where Tanner supposed to earn his paycheck and make those phone calls to the NCAA....

This is not an NCAA issue!! Couisanard SAT was flagged and he had to retake. NCAA Cleared him however he has not been cleared for athletic participation by the ACADEMIC side of USC. This is an issue the athletic department has no say over. His admission was in limbountil SAT was cleared up, which meant he actually had to leave campus for the first couple of days of the fall semester

This is not an NCAA issue!! Couisanard SAT was flagged and he had to retake. NCAA Cleared him however he has not been cleared for athletic participation by the ACADEMIC side of USC. This is an issue the athletic department has no say over. His admission was in limbountil SAT was cleared up, which meant he actually had to leave campus for the first couple of days of the fall semester
So it would appear as though our admissions strikes again.........

If his admission was in limbo why is he still taking classes for a second semester. If it was academic issue then how did he even get in school. It has been said it is NOT a USC issue meaning ncaa. I appreciate your point but it doesn’t add up since he is in second semester of classes. Flagged SAT still issue then school would not have admitted him in first place.

Curious why Frank would say "non campus issue"? I am happy to have no involvement from the NCAA, but if this is within the university why does it take an entire semester (and then some) for our school to not be diligent regarding one of its students?

Someone in admissions flagged it & sent it back to the NCAA or the testing agency. That is why it is a "non-campus" issue now!! Once the flag-happy staffer kicked it back to the NCAA or testing agency's "court", it is no longer something that can be decided on by USC. Since WE flagged it & sent it back up, the one(s) looking at it now feel no obligation to move on it quickly.

We have no business recruiting athletes with academic issues. This should be the last time that something like this occurs. This is ridiculous! Don’t recruit anybody, that’s not eligible from day ONE.

Someone in admissions flagged it & sent it back to the NCAA or the testing agency. That is why it is a "non-campus" issue now!! Once the flag-happy staffer kicked it back to the NCAA or testing agency's "court", it is no longer something that can be decided on by USC. Since WE flagged it & sent it back up, the one(s) looking at it now feel no obligation to move on it quickly.
That actually makes some sense, except for one thing....if we flagged it, how is he enrolled and taking courses on campus?

We have no business recruiting athletes with academic issues. This should be the last time that something like this occurs. This is ridiculous! Don’t recruit anybody, that’s not eligible from day ONE.

I was going to post the same thing. It appears this is the case every year. Why recruit those players?

Spurrier warned us about our admissions office. Like I've said, some schools want to win and some don't. We don't play the game like the winners do. UNC will never take a hit and be tarnished. Ohio St won a National title since their scandal. That school up the road...3 now and counting. Auburn yep they did it with a player that was deemed ineligible for basically a day. It truly is what it is. Our fans say they dont want to cheat...here's your result.

We're building & I don't think we can be quite that cavalier in our attitude. Blue bloods get top players with minimal academic issues (insofar as meeting minimum standards). Cousinard had been cleared by the NCAA clearing house. Give him full clearance as a student-athlete & let him do what he came here to do!!! We're supposed to be aspiring for the big time in intercollegiate athletics. Some caspar milquetoast in OUR house took this back OUT of our school's hands. I know these things have to be handled with some discretion (you don't want a disgruntled compliance person throwing a "whistle blower" suit your way. Those folks probably do know where shortcuts were taken or about some other "unorthodox" things that we would rather not see the light of day), but they DO need to be HANDLED in some form or fashion to try to prevent a similar situation down the road.

Last edited:
These kind of stories just seem to never happen in the upstate.
Nope, they don't. They don't happen at places that want to win.
Spurrier warned us about our admissions office. Like I've said, some schools want to win and some don't. We don't play the game like the winners do. UNC will never take a hit and be tarnished. Ohio St won a National title since their scandal. That school up the road...3 now and counting. Auburn yep they did it with a player that was deemed ineligible for basically a day. It truly is what it is. Our fans say they dont want to cheat...here's your result.

We really should just shut down the whole dang athletics dept. This a movie that is really, really old . We don't have the will or desire to win in the upper levels of the org chart here. I believe our coaches and players want to win, but they don't get the support and full commitment needed.

But we run a tight ship!!! :cool::rolleyes:

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Too many contradictions in these various accounts. Too much disconnect between what people are saying and what is happening.
The only contradiction is where the apporval lies. FM’s statement is very vague in that he doesn’t name agency whose ok is needed. The situation is well documented Couisanard score was flagged he retook and it was accepted by one and pending with another. I have been told USC is pending. I can understand FM not wanting to name names. Hope that helps

The only contradiction is where the apporval lies. FM’s statement is very vague in that he doesn’t name agency whose ok is needed. The situation is well documented Couisanard score was flagged he retook and it was accepted by one and pending with another. I have been told USC is pending. I can understand FM not wanting to name names. Hope that helps
"I have been told". How reliable do you consider that to be?

"I have been told". How reliable do you consider that to be?
I cannot pull up the article, but it was in print about him having to retake SAT/ACT so I am very confident this is the issue. “My understanding” is the hold up is on our academic side. So question is, who do you trust least? Our admissions or NCAA Clearinghouse:)

I cannot pull up the article, but it was in print about him having to retake SAT/ACT so I am very confident this is the issue. “My understanding” is the hold up is on our academic side. So question is, who do you trust least? Our admissions or NCAA Clearinghouse:)

An absolute toss-up; And that's NO compliment to our admissions outfit!!

giphy.gif

Reactions: winloseortie
Another example of getting screwed or screwing ourselves. Goes way back to Andrew Pinnock. Who was the great guard that we signed and ended up a star at FSU? Was Jamaire Alexander another one or did he just change to Louisville? Bowen(I know, different but still), Cooper, now Cousinard. And yet when we complain people say we are just paranoid. BS - Way too many things like this have happened to us.

Another example of getting screwed or screwing ourselves. Goes way back to Andrew Pinnock. Who was the great guard that we signed and ended up a star at FSU? Was Jamaire Alexander another one or did he just change to Louisville? Bowen(I know, different but still), Cooper, now Cousinard. And yet when we complain people say we are just paranoid. BS - Way too many things like this have happened to us.
Don't remember the name, but I believe that was an SEC rule on JUCO players that caused him not to be able to come to us. Something about having to have a certain number of consecutive semesters at the same JUCO. That player had bounced around at a few JUCOs....and, yes, he was very good.

I believe that was Tim Pickett and he was outstanding for FSU.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT