ADVERTISEMENT

So on to Kentucky! How do we fare against them?

paleoorthocock

Dec 14, 2004
I feel pretty good about it, frankly. That was a very, very good team we played last night. Going in with Doty as the starter will help against KY. God willing some of the fundamental problems on the O-line are addressed at least somewhat (I know. I'm skeptical of that too.).

We should do better. We were facing a legitimate national title contender last night. Nevertheless we have a lot a lot a lot a lot a lot of sloppiness and lack of discipline that had absolutely nothing to do with who we were playing last night. We had the same issues against EIU and ECU. We were barely good enough to escape ECU with our sloppiness and lack of discipline. We will not be so fortunate in our other SEC games.

I feel pretty good about it, frankly. That was a very, very good team we played last night. Going in with Doty as the starter will help against KY. God willing some of the fundamental problems on the O-line are addressed at least somewhat (I know. I'm skeptical of that too.).

I have no idea what to expect but looking forward to it. Of course, I was looking forward to UGA game but that didn't turn out well.

Reactions: kidrobinski
Not looking forward to this. Our team is undisciplined. UK is efficient. That will be difference in game. Culture of Beamer needs to include discipline. And I am not just talking JVann. I am talking the discipline of the Oline to get a hat or hands on their assignment and not whiff.

BTW, Defense did not play bad. These RBs will give most team fits. I really like what I am seeing there. I really like the STs. The downing at the one was a result of good discipline not to let a punt inside the 10 go. Good job.

This could finally be the game that getting 8 penalties a game finally bites us in the ass and we finally wake up and realize it’s a problem. Maybe we will even try to block Kentucky. Won’t that be a treat?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Not looking forward to this. Our team is undisciplined. UK is efficient. That will be difference in game. Culture of Beamer needs to include discipline. And I am not just talking JVann. I am talking the discipline of the Oline to get a hat or hands on their assignment and not whiff.

BTW, Defense did not play bad. These RBs will give most team fits. I really like what I am seeing there. I really like the STs. The downing at the one was a result of good discipline not to let a punt inside the 10 go. Good job.

I think the defense has made strides this year. I know it is just basic football but tackling open field seems to be better and interceptions have improved. Of course I do not know how to coach the game and I am bias. With this being said GO COCKS.

USCALUMNI

Reactions: cockn'fyr
This could finally be the game that getting 8 penalties a game finally bites us in the ass and we finally wake up and realize it’s a problem. Maybe we will even try to block Kentucky. Won’t that be a treat?

yep. We’re lucky that in our first two games our opponents were so unbelievably awful that we were able to overcome all the stupid penalties. Against Georgia, they were so vastly superior us in every single aspect of the game, both on and off the field, that while the penalties were stupid and didn’t help our cause, it didn’t affect the outcome of the game much. However, you’re exactly right, a game like Kentucky is where we may actually end up paying the price for lack of discipline.

We should do better. We were facing a legitimate national title contender last night. Nevertheless we have a lot a lot a lot a lot a lot of sloppiness and lack of discipline that had absolutely nothing to do with who we were playing last night. We had the same issues against EIU and ECU. We were barely good enough to escape ECU with our sloppiness and lack of discipline. We will not be so fortunate in our other SEC games.
I'm in agreement here. From an observational view, it's clear we are not a good football team. Unless there is some drastic improvement from all phases I'm inclined to believe this team has about 2 more wins left on its schedule.

It won't be a blowout like last night, that's for sure, but Kentucky is too strong for us. We will keep it within 10 - 14 points but we don't have the horses yet across the board to beat them.

The KY jelly QB is predicting a win over Carolina before our game started with UGA last night... I think he posted on Tweeter...

They have manhandled us on the line of scrimmage for several years now. I expect the same. We'll probably keep it close, maybe we get some turnovers or something

Kentucky is better than we are at the moment. But we have an opportunity for a big win. Coming home, with a lot to work on our guys will be focused. I think we’ll be prepared. Just not sure we have the players.

To win, we have to establish some sort of run game to take some pressure off Doty. If we can do that at all, I feel good about him taking a few shots and hitting some big plays.

Gotta score TDs in the red zone. Protect the football.

I think UK will win one in the 4th. But hoping we’ll pull it out.

As of right now Doty does not have his legs under him yet. He looked actually slow when he had to take off a few times. We need to use last years run offense when we pull the guard over to open up running gaps. Right now our Oline can’t push anybody around.

My expectations this season weren’t to high so not a big deal for me. I really hated our sloppy performance against ECU. After that I pretty much figured UGA would take us behind the woodshed. At least we know how we stack up to a legit NC contender and top 4 team.

The Kentucky game will be an indicator of how we stack up against a mid-level SEC team. I can’t wait.

I see this as a gauge to where we truely are. Looking forward to it. My hope is we're competive but if all I see is improvement between plays, I'll be good. That's what I want to see the most.

I’ve watched Kentucky and I’m not sure we are better than them at any position. We will need to win the turnover battle, get much better OL play, get better organized with getting play calls in, stop the stupid penalties and get more creative in our play calling.

From a Beamer standpoint, this to me is his first true test of a leader. You just got your tail whipped, so how do you go about your business in the next game? From a program standpoint, KY, TN, and Mizzou are the first hills to climb.

UK Wildcat Lair:
Not a lot of trashing of the Gamecocks in that thread for the most part. A piss-poor performance against an FCS school will do that to you….

I think UK wins a close one, but a Gamecock win wouldn’t shock me either.

They've been out-physicaling us for a few years now, I was expecting more of the same Saturday but them struggling with Chattanooga (didn't see it yet, just heard) gives me some hope.

I have no idea what to expect but looking forward to it. Of course, I was looking forward to UGA game but that didn't turn out well.
I had hoped but didn’t really expect it to “turn out well”; they are a perennial, historical powerhouse that didn’t miss a beat going from Richt to Smart, and were at home. With the exception of the oline I was impressed and pleased with our physicality, fundamentals, and hustle; haven’t been able to say that in quite a while. GOT to do something with that oline; can’t win games kicking field goals. Oline needs to be addressed, NOW.

Looking at these Chattanooga stats do not impress me, we have to set some kind of limits on discipline as a new staff, if you can't figure out how to block your assignment you're going to sit, if you can't control the showboating and taunting you're going to sit, it shouldn't be that hard for Beamer to set a standard!

Reactions: bucketdad
They have our former oline coach . We do not know that Doty is going to be the QB yet . Soreness . If not , would we really start a QB with an injured throwing hand ? I'm afraid we would .

Gamecocks win . Running game .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT