ADVERTISEMENT

Somebody Comfort Me (Credibly)

1. That's what myself and many others are saying our fanbase needs to do in order to duplicate their success. As a whole, we simply don't.

2. That's a bunch of bull. Until Dabo finally turned the tables on us, they have tried to and --- except for him -- succeeded in running off every coach since Ford. Even when some of them were averaging 8-9 wins a year and beating us with regularity.
You may be correct about that as I was overseas through those years and did not follow football so much. Why would they have been so unhappy with 8-9 win seasons?

Are you Muschamp?

I honestly loathed our fanbase right now. It's like a damn pity party. It's a sad time. You can thank SOS for this. Those glorious years showed me it is possible with the right coach. SOS was brilliant, except for a few old moments. I know we would have won a NC if he had came here 5 years sooner.
Agree with your assessment of Spurrier, but even he would never have raised Carolina to NC level. It was never meant to be, and the culmination of our ambitions was played out in 1984 on a field in Annapolis. For Gamecock fans with a thread of realism in our brains, this was the moment that brought us all back to reality.

There’s only one program (we all know who) that can survive being an independent, and actually succeed to an extent, and always get the benefit of the doubt. Many say it happened this year, but they are undefeated, and knock the lack of a conference championship all you want, Clemmons didn’t play one either, not to mention no sane coach is playing Stanford and Southern Cal “OOC” yearly when you can get away with playing Wofford and SC State. All this to say, to me, it’s not a knock on USC that they couldn’t be an independent and succeed, very few could. Whether we needed to stay in the ACC or not, we needed to become affiliated with one much sooner. It hurt in a lot of ways. Less exposure, less name recognition, and 25+ years later, we’re still looking for acceptance. It can be done here, but not the way we’ve been doing it. We’ve all discussed what we think would work ad nauseum......

There’s only one program (we all know who) that can survive being an independent, and actually succeed to an extent, and always get the benefit of the doubt. Many say it happened this year, but they are undefeated, and knock the lack of a conference championship all you want, Clemmons didn’t play one either, not to mention no sane coach is playing Stanford and Southern Cal “OOC” yearly when you can get away with playing Wofford and SC State. All this to say, to me, it’s not a knock on USC that they couldn’t be an independent and succeed, very few could. Whether we needed to stay in the ACC or not, we needed to become affiliated with one much sooner. It hurt in a lot of ways. Less exposure, less name recognition, and 25+ years later, we’re still looking for acceptance. It can be done here, but not the way we’ve been doing it. We’ve all discussed what we think would work ad nauseum......
Vomitously.

Reactions: lostcock
Agree with your assessment of Spurrier, but even he would never have raised Carolina to NC level. It was never meant to be, and the culmination of our ambitions was played out in 1984 on a field in Annapolis. For Gamecock fans with a thread of realism in our brains, this was the moment that brought us all back to reality.
We were at a NC level. If we were in any other conference we would have been u defeated and played for it or if we hadn't of got screwed by having to play LSU at LSU for like the 4th damn time out of 5. SOS made some mistakes later in his career that he wouldn't have made earlier. I submit he wouldnt have made them and we beat LSU and TN.

Reactions: lostcock
Clemson fans are more loyal in the sense that they stay together and support the coaches and the institution. They do not at all enjoy seeing their team beaten on the field and will not tolerate it for long.

Carolina fans, particularly, old loyalists like me, are either used to bitter, heartbreaking defeats, or they have moved their loyalties elsewhere.

Bullcrap.

What you guys never talk about is how when Clemson was losing, they always censored the message to be positive, whether it was online, in print, or on the radio.

Who would get the money?
Whoever gets the $$$ at Bama. The FB program and the facilities. I know everybody loves to say they cheat, but they really don't have to. Saban has a blank check and nothing matters more to the university than the FB program.

Whoever gets the $$$ at Bama. The FB program and the facilities. I know everybody loves to say they cheat, but they really don't have to. Saban has a blank check and nothing matters more to the university than the FB program.
Then it needs to mean more here, perhaps what it means at UPC. Do you really think it does?

I don’t know about the money for “extracurriculars”, but I’d be willing to bet even some of the big boosters have been apathetic about the program since 2014. But apparently, we have $30 millionish coming in yearly from the SEC, so why don’t we truly turn some heads and try to be first in the conference in facilities? Not saying we need a slide, but something or things to even make Bama say damn! Little more outside the box thinking, instead of always playing catch-up

Comfort: Champ won't be the coach in 2021 and more importantly, Ray "no clue" Tanner won't be the AD when it's time to hire the next football coach. 2 more years of this garbage. Some people need "more time" to see the obvious.

Where do you think Muschamp is going? Only way he leaves anytime soon is if he leaves on his own. And that being said, what coaching superstars do you think would be lined up to take the job in Columbia? Riley, Smart, and Herman, did nothing but toy with us last time for raises, or better offers. None were ever coming here. Some have to realize the situation USC is in. Got lucky for a few years when we got better, combined with UGA not being elite and FU, UT going in the tank. And like it or not, USC is never going to be able to recruit in a normal year with any of them. Same can be said for Bama, LSU, and TAMU in the west. USC can go 7-5 and be a pretty good football team. If in the ACC, I think USC is easily in the championship game over a Pitt. But things just aren't that easy in the SEC. In a small state as far as recruiting goes, that is shared with an elite program doesnt help matters. A lack of much history, or winning tradition, doesn't help the situation either. Just not sure what some folks think would flip that switch.

To get back to your original question... LINK
I know you have more time on your hands than most (and you can actually read). I would say this is credible, though it is from the internet.
Well massaged, and replete with interpolation. I do believe we will be surpassing Kentucky, which never should have been necessary, and keeping an advantage over Tennessee (for two more years max). I think we will plateau at 8-9 regular season wins and attend bowls of the Citrus/Outback magnitude regularly. SECCG is out until we can get our recruiting at least into the Top 10 nationally and top four in the SEC.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Where do you think Muschamp is going? Only way he leaves anytime soon is if he leaves on his own. And that being said, what coaching superstars do you think would be lined up to take the job in Columbia? Riley, Smart, and Herman, did nothing but toy with us last time for raises, or better offers. None were ever coming here. Some have to realize the situation USC is in. Got lucky for a few years when we got better, combined with UGA not being elite and FU, UT going in the tank. And like it or not, USC is never going to be able to recruit in a normal year with any of them. Same can be said for Bama, LSU, and TAMU in the west. USC can go 7-5 and be a pretty good football team. If in the ACC, I think USC is easily in the championship game over a Pitt. But things just aren't that easy in the SEC. In a small state as far as recruiting goes, that is shared with an elite program doesnt help matters. A lack of much history, or winning tradition, doesn't help the situation either. Just not sure what some folks think would flip that switch.

That's the conventional thinking.....I agree. I really do. I get it. But to answer your question in an out of the box way:

1) Pony up BIG money. We can get any coach. Money talks.
2) Cheat in recruiting. Pony up BIG money. The players will come.
3) Do #1 and #2 and the wins will follow.

Essentially, follow Bama's and Clem$on's blueprint. Until we do that, you're right, nothing will change.

You would be lacking optimism if we had the best class in recruiting history and Bear Bryant as coach. I ask you again to name a coach you would first of all come would to S. C. and that you would gurantee would sign classes at the level of UGA and Al.? That would win like Al
The preposterousness of your opening statement absolved me of any obligation to answer your loaded question.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
We probably signed the best DL class in the country, along with Hilinski at QB. Cam Smith’s rating is going to get a lot higher soon. OL is very solid. Not sure about WR/TE. Not sure about Linebacker.

3 of our spots in this class are occupied by Belk, Jamel Cook and Tyquan Johnson. None are factored into the rankings.
The best DL class in the country??!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT