ADVERTISEMENT

Somebody mentioned the 1992 Gamecock football team. Marty Simpson interview

ken in sacramento

Jan 16, 2000
I was a senior in 92 and that was the year of the player revolt and Taneyhill et al. Marty Simpson does a very interesting interview on this at the link below. If you remember that year like I do- Marty gives some real insight into what happened. From my memory:

The QB play before Taneyhill was atrocious. The worst I've ever seen at South Carolina. I'll spare the names- but it was just awful.
Marty was a very good kicker and the rules around kicking changed quite a bit during his NCAA career.
Everyone credits Taneyhill with the turn around, and he was defiantly a big piece, but we had two great backs in Rob Deboar and Brandon Bennett- and a pretty good O-line.
We also had some great receivers- lead by Toby Cates- he really flourished after Taneyhill took over.
The revolt was a real thing. Sparky probably mishandled some X and O things but he was in the position to clean up alot of Joe Morrison problems. I can attest personally that there was more accountability on football players to go to class and stay out of trouble after Sparky arrived. Lots were running wild before that.
That was a very talented team. That win at Clemson is my all time favorite win I attended in person.

It lasts about an hour. Enjoy

PS- they beat Tennessee too- my second favorite game I attended!

https://therubberchickens.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/buckshots-1992.m4a

I was a senior that year, too. Definitely the best year of the 4 (5) I attended.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT