ADVERTISEMENT

Someone please explain how Beamer was an upgrade over Muschamp?

At this point in their tenures, Muschamp was 22-17 and Beamer is 20-18.

Muschamp got one losing season and was fired midway through the second losing season. Why should Beamer get any more leeway?
The AD typically gives a head coach five years to succeed. This way he has all of his recruits in place as opposed to a blend from the previous staff.

Agreed.

It highlights the problem of change for changes sake. If it's time to make a change, the idea should be to improve the situation, not just be able to say you did "something".
Amen to that. Add to that is the fact that attracting somoene who can make a difference is more difficult than it seems with the restraints the AD works within. Not defending Tanner at all, but our program is likely to attract only the "up and comers" looking for an opportunity and a bigger paycheck. And that's somewhat a crapshoot for even a good, experienced AD with a lot of connections. I looked at some history (relevant to me anyways) and I saw that since 1996 (26 years), we have beaten Clemson 8 times. And this was pre-Dablo when their coaches were avg at best. So trying to attract name coaches is hard when they realize we have SEC money but have difficulty against them. Add to that stat, they've beaten us 8 of the last 9 (and likley woulda been 9 out of 10 since Trevor Lawrence was the QB during COVID when we didn't play them. Bottom line, we don't have aTm money to get whoever we want. SOS was an anomaly imo.

Amen to that. Add to that is the fact that attracting somoene who can make a difference is more difficult than it seems with the restraints the AD works within. Not defending Tanner at all, but our program is likely to attract only the "up and comers" looking for an opportunity and a bigger paycheck. And that's somewhat a crapshoot for even a good, experienced AD with a lot of connections. I looked at some history (relevant to me anyways) and I saw that since 1996 (26 years), we have beaten Clemson 8 times. And this was pre-Dablo when their coaches were avg at best. So trying to attract name coaches is hard when they realize we have SEC money but have difficulty against them. Add to that stat, they've beaten us 8 of the last 9 (and likley woulda been 9 out of 10 since Trevor Lawrence was the QB during COVID when we didn't play them. Bottom line, we don't have aTm money to get whoever we want. SOS was an anomaly imo.

Hiring an up-and-comer is fine.

The problem is our last hire was someone that after 20 years of coaching, he was still a position coach. We didn't hire anyone that was an actual up-and-comer.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Jmho, butbi don't think he wants Muschamp back. I think his point is that Beamer is doing worse than the rviked Muschamp, yet still defended.

Damn. It wasn't till it was quoted that I saw how badly this was typed.

REVILED.

BUT (space) I

I would like to take this opportunity to blame the phone . 😀

You would have thought after making the most puzzling hire (of Muschamp after he was an unmitigated failure at Florida) in the history of USC football, the hiring authorities here would have opted for a home run hire (someone who had prior successful Head Coaching experience in at least a mid-major FBS school). What did Florida State do after the disastrous Willy Taggart era? They cut their losses after 2 seasons and hired Mike Norvell, who in 4 seasons at Memphis, took them to 2 Top 25 finishes including a 12-1 record and conference championship in his 4th and final season there. Florida State is now reaping the dividends from that hire. They went 10-3 in his 3rd season there last year. They are now undefeated and 5th in the nation. What did we do? We hired the son of a legendary coach, who had never been either an OC nor DC, much less a successful HC. Can anyone name one son of a legendary Head Coach who succeeded big as a HC? I cannot. To paraphrase Don King, "Only at South Carolina would such a hire be made". SMH

Last edited:
When they hired Shane Beamer my enthusiasm died for our football team. The hope of seeing greatness from our program evaporated from my mind, and all I could think about is being another Gamecock fan who passed away hoping we can make it over the top. It’s a sad reality to live in but I knew; I had no choice when Beamer ball came to Columbia. 🙁
To quote the fictional TV character Logan Roy, the "powers" at USC "are not serious people".

You would have thought after making the most puzzling hire (of Muschamp after he was an unmitigated failure at Florida) in the history of USC football, the hiring authorities here would have opted for a home run hire (someone who had prior successful Head Coaching experience in at least a mid-major FBS school). What did Florida State do after the disastrous Willy Taggart era? They cut their losses after 2 seasons and hired Mike Norvell, who in 4 seasons at Memphis, took them to 2 Top 25 finishes including a 12-1 record and conference championship in his 4th and final season there. Florida State is now reaping the dividends from that hire. They went 10-3 in his 3rd season there last year. They are now undefeated and 5th in the nation. What did we do? We hired the son of a legendary coach, who had never been either an OC nor DC, much less a successful HC. Can anyone name one son of a legendary Head Coach who succeeded big as a HC? I cannot. To paraphrase Don King, "Only at South Carolina would such a hire be made". SMH

I agree completely, but only one comment. The use of the word "home run". Detractors will insist that you can't guarantee a home run, etc.

I think at this point, a lot of people would be happy with a "solid" or "dependable" hire.

Reactions: gamecock stock
I agree completely, but only one comment. The use of the word "home run". Detractors will insist that you can't guarantee a home run, etc.

I think at this point, a lot of people would be happy with a "solid" or "dependable" hire.

Yep. But Ray went with a total roll of the dice. No HC experience, no coordinator experience, after coaching 20 years, including 5 at VaTech, where his last name is legendary, and even they didnt make him a coordinator.

Reactions: Lurker123
What the flip you people looking at? 7-6 was a great job, and so was 8-5! Everyone, including a lot of the so-called professionals and sportswriters/sportscasters are talking nonsense. It’s not like he took 4/5 star talent these last two years and went 2-10, 3-9. We have just begun to stack players, so that we can be competitive with solid 2 deep roster, and eventually get to a workable 3 deep. We, unfortunately, are acting like tennesee. They have had more players than us, perpetually. They had a coach come in, and much like Shane, did more with less. They seriously were thinking ‘natty’ this year. Shane is just beginning the most important part of the process. We have to stack players for, at least, another two years. Anything more, in terms of progress, is delusional. We will win ‘big’. Even the coaches have a ‘learning curve’. We are setting ourselves for disappointment, based on our current way of assessing where we are. I encourage you to go back and look at what we had, and compare what we are getting going forward. Maybe the scales will fall away and things will appear a bit clearer.

What the flip you people looking at? 7-6 was a great job, and so was 8-5! Everyone, including a lot of the so-called professionals and sportswriters/sportscasters are talking nonsense. It’s not like he took 4/5 star talent these last two years and went 2-10, 3-9. We have just begun to stack players, so that we can be competitive with solid 2 deep roster, and eventually get to a workable 3 deep. We, unfortunately, are acting like tennesee. They have had more players than us, perpetually. They had a coach come in, and much like Shane, did more with less. They seriously were thinking ‘natty’ this year. Shane is just beginning the most important part of the process. We have to stack players for, at least, another two years. Anything more, in terms of progress, is delusional. We will win ‘big’. Even the coaches have a ‘learning curve’. We are setting ourselves for disappointment, based on our current way of assessing where we are. I encourage you to go back and look at what we had, and compare what we are getting going forward. Maybe the scales will fall away and things will appear a bit clearer.

Was 5-7 a great job too?

Seriously, he is lagging Muschamp's record. And his most recent season is much less than satisfactory. Next year is looking rough too.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Was 5-7 a great job too?

Seriously, he is lagging Muschamp's record. And his most recent season is much less than satisfactory. Next year is looking rough too.
I think we also forgot what an anomaly 2022 UT/Clemson wins were. We weren’t pretty mediocre othetwise in 2022, AND likely had Michigan helping us w UT/Clemsons stolen signals those games. A&M and UK QBs were injured. A lot lined up for 8-5 last year. If Michigan wasnt cheating and either QB at aTm or UK is healthy, we may very well have gone 6-6

Reactions: uscwatson21
Except our talent level is getting worse the further we are removed from our last coach...
Seems to be the case. Makes me wonder, if Rattler stayed at OU and waited out Caleb Williams, what would 2022/2023 have looked like? Who would our QB have been and our record?

Reactions: uscwatson21
Seems to be the case. Makes me wonder, if Rattler stayed at OU and waited out Caleb Williams, what would 2022/2023 have looked like? Who would our QB have been and our record?

Beamer doesn't survive this year without Rattler.

There is a very good chance we don't go bowling next year.

And I wager Beamer is still safe then.

In the end, we just need a new AD before the change is made.

Reactions: sclawman77

My thoughts exactly. If we have to make another hire is Ray going to be allowed to screw us a third time. All that said, I'm hoping Beamer works out but he has his work cut out for him.

Id say its an 80% chance we dont go bowling in 2024. We are gonna actually be “rebuilding”, if rebuilding from 5-7 is a thing.

Most talented QB we ever had, gone
1st round caliber WR, gone
Juice Wells, hope hes back to form
Running back? We have none
O line??? We signed a great class for 2025
D line?? Improving but inconsistent
Some decent young LBs and DBs

So yeah, we are officially “rebuilding”

Yes all because he won some baseball trophies. Those baseball trophies have haunted the football program for a decade now
My dad sent Pastides an email about canning Ray when he was filling in as interim president a few years back. He responded that "I understand your frustration but keep in mind Ray runs a tight budget too in the athletic department". Yippee. Apparently wins and losses/coaches performances don't matter as long as we can pay our bills.

Last edited:

Yeah this is probably sadly true, Ray won't survive another football firing so he's going to hold out on Beamer as long as he can.

Yeah this is probably sadly true, Ray won't survive another football firing so he's going to hold out on Beamer as long as he can.
I know RT had his contract extended. I think it's his last before he retires. Anyone know what year that will be?

Lane Kiffin @ USC = 8-5; 10-2; 7-6; 3-2 (FIRED at the Airport, Not allowed to ride the team bus back.)
Jimbo Fisher @ Texas A&M = 9-4; 8-5; 9-1; 8-4; 5-7; 6-4 (FIRED. $77.5 MILLION Buyout.)
Dan Muller @ Florida = 10-3; 11-2; 8-4; 5-6 (FIRED.)
Brian Harsin @ Auburn = 6-7; 3-5; (FIRED at the end of October second year)
Ed Orgeron @ LSU = 6-2; 9-4; 10-3; 15-0 (NC); 5-5; 6-6 (Agrees to resign)
Shane Beamer @ Carolina = 7-6; 8-5 ($3.375 MILLION RAISE >122%); 5-7.

Was too lazy to bring up Willie Muschamp, Frank Martin, and Dave N.I.T. Odom but, do you notice how long some other schools give their coaches to turn it around?

Since Shane is such an Ass-Patter & Player Huger, considering this year's results, shouldn't he consider giving back about $3+ Million of that raise! I mean, he's the one who swears how much he wants to be here & how much he loves Carolina.
I think we should go after Bob Stoops, can't be any worse than what we're dealing with and he has experience

Question: We won most first quarters against more talented teams this season -- many of those games were also on the road.

If we're coming in with less talent and outperforming teams for the first part of the game in their stadium, wouldn't that point to good game plans and good coaching?

Wouldn't the fact that we fizzle out over the course of 60 minutes to teams with layers of talent simply be a talent deficit OR is Beamer exclusively a good 1st quarter coach?

Where is the flawed logic in this argument?

Question: We won most first quarters against more talented teams this season -- many of those games were also on the road.

If we're coming in with less talent and outperforming teams for the first part of the game in their stadium, wouldn't that point to good game plans and good coaching?

Wouldn't the fact that we fizzle out over the course of 60 minutes to teams with layers of talent simply be a talent deficit OR is Beamer exclusively a good 1st quarter coach?

Where is the flawed logic in this argument?

Your commitment to intellectually dishonest trolling is impressive in a sad way.

Sockpuppet brings in the darkest one of his characters for this deep analysis.

Your lack of ability to answer the question only bolsters the viewpoint, Debbie.

The answer to your question is

Clemson < South Carolina < Jacksonville State.

Don’t think anyone with a brain is going to find that logically sound.

Take a statistics class, Deb.

We're not talking about one game.

We're talking about a trend over the entire season.

Ah yes, the 5-7 team was better coached than every team they played.

Now we’ve hit your tiger troll point.

That could well coincide with Beamer having a "make or break" season in 2025, his 5th season. I suspect that a terrible 4th season (2024) won't move the needle.

I honestly thought the fanbase would take a losing season this year harder than it has. It appears the majority of our fanbase is content wirh 5-7.

I thought for sure a second losing season would leave the fanbase in disarray. But it doesn’t appear at this point it will.

I honestly thought the fanbase would take a losing season this year harder than it has. It appears the majority of our fanbase is content wirh 5-7.

I thought for sure a second losing season would leave the fanbase in disarray. But it doesn’t appear at this point it will.

Agreed, sort of. I'm not too surprised at a lot of fans settling for this year. It's a single data point now.

I'll wait till next year plays out. I think a lot of the people arguing that this is the new norm will get antsy IF we have two losing seasons in a row.

Reactions: gamecock stock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT