ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina lawmakers seek answers from Gamecocks after women's basketball series with BYU canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dawn has done a great job on the court, but I feel she has gotten a little to big for her britches. She has turned in to a social justice warrior which is fine, but if you are going to cancel a game because of racism, be sure you have all the facts first which she clearly did not!

Dawn has done a great job on the court, but I feel she has gotten a little to big for her britches. She has turned in to a social justice warrior which is fine, but if you are going to cancel a game because of racism, be sure you have all the facts first which she clearly did not!

So, explain the facts - the facts you don't think Dawn has...

Reactions: ShannonL
This is the third attempt in starting a political non-issue. What investigation are you guys talking about when the guy that supposedly made the slur has been banned from sporting events and they have already made a public apology to the player. So, we should just sign up our team of mostly black players for that non-sense? Not!!! I’d take the non-conference forfeit if I had to. This world has gone mad. We are defending a bunch of Mormons from across the country against our own two-time championship coach over a series that BYU needs more than us. BYU can kick rocks.

So, explain the facts - the facts you don't think Dawn has...

The fact that a police officer and four ushers were sent to the student section after the first complaint, and despite the slurs supposedly continuing, none of those people heard a single one.

The fact that the kid who was banned was not present during the one serve (when the first slur was supposedly shouted) and on his phone the next time a slur was supposedly shouted.

The fact that the police and the school have reviewed video from game and can't find a single incident of a slur being shouted, much less a continual string of them.

To be fair, I don't think Dawn is lacking these facts, I don't think she cares. (My opinion).

For those not aware there was an investigation, here is a good link:

Definitely an unfounded, knee jerk reaction to ban the mentally handicapped guy who wasn't present or on his phone, and standing next to a police officer during the supposed shouts.

Was the Duke volleyball player named Smollett too?

Irrespective of the accusation's validity, I believe we had an opportunity to demonstrate great nobility and magnanimity by clearly stating our abhorrence for racism while going ahead with the games. I wish we he had done that instead of what we are doing, which is the "stock" response now.

Cancel a game because of what one idiot (or maybe even a couple) shouted? Well, get ready to cancel them all for there will always be idiots about (particularly the closer you get to Washington, D.C. - sorry, couldn’t help but adding that).

1) The last thing anyone needs or should ever want is politicians to get involved yet again in the sports activities of a college team. For actual decades and decades, USC has had politicians involved in sports activities that has damaged the school time after time after time.

2) The last thing anyone needs or should ever want is politicians to get involved in the day to day operations of the university- or any university.

3) Ray Tanner should tell any moron politician that gets involved that he 100% stands behind Coach Staley if if they don't like it, tough.

4) Coach Staley runs the basketball program. If she decides along with her team that game is not right for their program, she can make the decision that she sees fit.

Cancel a game because of what one idiot (or maybe even a couple) shouted? Well, get ready to cancel them all for there will always be idiots about (particularly the closer you get to Washington, D.C. - sorry, couldn’t help but adding that).

I would guess that fans shouting at our team is actually enjoyed by our team members. Many athletes over the years have said they actually like being yelled out because it pumps them up.

A fan shouting racial epithets at a team is in a different category altogether and 95% of people understand that as a fact.

If you don't believe it- give this a try.

1) Go to the Fireflies game tonight against Charleston.
2) Stand up and yell at the Riverdogs. Tell them to go back home. Pick out one player and call him a punk. Tell him he sucks bad and should give up his contract and quit stealing from the team. See if that elicits much of a reaction. In short, be a real jerk.

3) Now, later in the game, stand up and yell racial epithets at the same player. (Hint- Don't actually do this. Just think how bad a decision this would be)

4) You will finally learn the difference in yelling routine - sports related insults at a player versus racially charged insults.

Last edited:
It's no surprise that the "lawmakers" offended are the most conservative lawmakers in the general assembly-

a group that even other conservative Republicans in the legislature won't join.

It's the usual suspects all over again.

The same exact group would be the offended ones and be demanding Dawn cancel a game against a team if a team, player, coach or fan at a school had yelled out the " The Republican Freedom caucus is a hate group"

The GOOD thing is the "Freedom Caucus" of the South Carolina general assembly has NO power at all. The Republican leadership of both chambers ignores them and has for years.

For example- of of the members of this "group" recently stood on the floor of the House saying that a 12 year old girl that was raped could simply get the ambulance to take her to WalMart for the morning after pill.

Yes- he really claimed that. No matter what you think of abortion- that's as dumb as it gets. Ambulances don't take rape victims to WalMart for shopping trips. But there he was, standing up in the House chamber making that argument. Even most of the Republicans in the House thought he was nuts.

Irrespective of the accusation's validity, I believe we had an opportunity to demonstrate great nobility and magnanimity by clearly stating our abhorrence for racism while going ahead with the games. I wish we he had done that instead of what we are doing, which is the "stock" response now.

I disagree. I thought Dawn's response was perfect in this case.

She didn't accuse BYU of anything. She didn't accuse anyone of anything. The response and her quote was perfect for the situation. She didn't blame BYU. She simply said this wasn't the right time to engage in this series

She didn't make any predictions.

At the very least, she likely doesn't want to put her team and staff in a circus atmosphere which would result as soon as we step on their campus given the circumstances.

I have also noticed that numerous black basketball coaches have expressed support for Dawn's position. That tells me it's not just her and maybe some of us don't have the perspective in this type of situation that a black person would.

"As a head coach, my job is to do what’s best for my players and staff," Staley said in a statement. "The incident at BYU has led me to reevaluate our home-and-home, and I don’t feel that this is the right time for us to engage in this series."

Last edited:
I disagree. I thought Dawn's response was perfect in this case.

She didn't accuse BYU of anything. She didn't accuse anyone of anything. The response and her quote was perfect for the situation. She didn't blame BYU. She simply said this wasn't the right time to engage in this series

She didn't make any predictions.

At the very least, she likely doesn't want to put her team and staff in a circus atmosphere which would result as soon as we step on their campus given the circumstances.

While such an investigation is ongoing, this seems like a reasonable response and I have noticed virtually every black head coach that I have read about has supported her decision.

"As a head coach, my job is to do what’s best for my players and staff," Staley said in a statement. "The incident at BYU has led me to reevaluate our home-and-home, and I don’t feel that this is the right time for us to engage in this series."
I expected to be disagreed with. I also maintain that his was a remarkable opportunity for a redemptive statement that would have reflected very well on Dawn, this program, our state and the university. But...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT