ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Jones Barfight

Well the guys were infront of him and blocking the only door. So to walk out the bathroom the other guys would have had to walk out first.
Uh huh. The point remains. The guys being belligerent and putting hands on people were not deescalating anything.

Reactions: SparkleCity
Geez. You can almost tell which one of you jokers have never had an altercation. Either that or you are an attorney. In the real world you either knock the sht out of them or get knocked out. Now which one do you want to be? I've been both and I know which one I don't want to ever be again.

I think its safe to assume it wasnt Jones since he is the one standing between his buddy and the guy with the bloody nose, it also looks as if his buddy is touching his jaw like he got punched too.

Uh huh. The point remains. The guys being belligerent and putting hands on people were not deescalating anything.
Jones never touched him and while telling someone to gtfo is not the best tactic it is arguably trying to avoid further contact.

I am not saying he is an angel or he wasnt apart of the problem what I am saying is that he did not do anything to deserve having his eye caved in and I think that is what his lawyer will focus on. With the available evidence it works in his favor

Reactions: wentzel25
Jones never touched him and while telling someone to gtfo is not the best tactic it is arguably trying to avoid further contact.

I am not saying he is an angel or he wasnt apart of the problem what I am saying is that he did not do anything to deserve having his eye caved in and I think that is what his lawyer will focus on. With the available evidence it works in his favor
What DID he deserve? Was the guy he was yelling/cursing/pointing at justified in hitting him? Again, to me, this situation looked like it was already past being escalated into physicality.
Why does the fact that the punches broke facial bones matter? The guy threw punches with bare fists. If it hurts, it hurts.
This is similar to why I hate seeing guys who shoot and kill someone get charged with murder but the guy who shoots and misses gets a lesser charge. Both guys tried to shoot someone. One was just better at it.

The question is who gave the mma guy the bloody nose? I suspect it didn't start bleeding on it's own.

I realize you don't the answer but I would guess it was Jones or buddy.
Just based on the way they're acting I'd guess that was the buddy too, but it's all just guesswork.

Reactions: viennacocks
Assuming is never a great assumption.
Well when there is no evidence otherwise, you have to go by the video. The video doesnt show him swinging on him.

What DID he deserve? Was the guy he was yelling/cursing/pointing at justified in hitting him? Again, to me, this situation looked like it was already past being escalated into physicality.
Why does the fact that the punches broke facial bones matter? The guy threw punches with bare fists. If it hurts, it hurts.
This is similar to why I hate seeing guys who shoot and kill someone get charged with murder but the guy who shoots and misses gets a lesser charge. Both guys tried to shoot someone. One was just better at it.
I am not sure how I can explain how shooting someone and killing them is more serious than shooting someone and missing them - kind of seems real obvious to me.

Inflicting bodily harm, in most cases, is justified when the party has no other options. Its quite obvious that he had the ability to walk away or not punch him in the face. Once again, its really that simple.

Did he have to punch the guy in the face? y/n

No? Its a crime.

Yes. It is not.

Well when there is no evidence otherwise, you have to go by the video. The video doesnt show him swinging on him.

I am not sure how I can explain how shooting someone and killing them is more serious than shooting someone and missing them - kind of seems real obvious to me.

Inflicting bodily harm, in most cases, is justified when the party has no other options. Its quite obvious that he had the ability to walk away or not punch him in the face. Once again, its really that simple.

Did he have to punch the guy in the face? y/n

No? Its a crime.

Yes. It is not.
Again, you are simply assuming there is no other evidence. Not a great assumption. You are a making a lot of assumption to come up with your verdict. Time will tell if there is additional evidence .

I love all the self appointed lawyers on this board. It’s called mutual combat, aka a bar fight. You can’t instigate and talk your way into a fight, then end up on the losing end and claim Assault. That’s not how it works. At most, all 4 are guilty of Disorderly Conduct. No Assault took place in this video. Before the shove and first punches were thrown, all 4 parties could’ve turned and walked away, none of them did. It’s Disorderly Conduct, not Assault.

I love all the self appointed lawyers on this board. It’s called mutual combat, aka a bar fight. You can’t instigate and talk your way into a fight, then end up on the losing end and claim Assault. That’s not how it works. At most, all 4 are guilty of Disorderly Conduct. No Assault took place in this video. Before the shove and first punches were thrown, all 4 parties could’ve turned and walked away, none of them did. It’s Disorderly Conduct, not Assault.
Norman Police have labelled it an assault and battery.
Doesn't say against whom, though.

The question is who gave the mma guy the bloody nose? I suspect it didn't start bleeding on it's own.

I realize you don't the answer but I would guess it was Jones or buddy.

This is exactly what I’ve wondered from the beginning. Seems this video was round 2. No telling who the aggressor was in Round 1.

Reactions: viennacocks
Again, you are simply assuming there is no other evidence. Not a great assumption. You are a making a lot of assumption to come up with your verdict. Time will tell if there is additional evidence .
Well we can’t talk about things that we don’t know exist can we?

Reactions: section907

I don't know. I kinda feel like setting up a GoFundMe to help cover legal fees, before you've been arrested, is equivalent to a guilty plea.
Prudence is a guilty plea? Tell you what, don't need to hire a lawyer at all, everyone knows you hire a good lawyer to avoid jail, not because you're innocent. If he wants to avoid looking guilty he should represent himself.

Being stupid doesn't prove you're innocent, it attracted attention so it's not going away, the guy got injured so there's no way this doesn't end up in front of a judge, and regardless of legal trouble the guy is missing work because of injuries he sustained after being attacked and has bills to cover as is.

This is why lawyers and judges are paid to interpret laws and events. The hostility is still present, he's doing nothing to restrain his friend who already attacked this guy when his back was turned and he's coming off as aggressive himself. If you've ever de-escalated a situation or broken up a fight this isn't how is done. You don't allow one party to continue shocking the other while taking the non-aggressor to get out while threatening his personal space. This dude was left with two options, fight out trust in the face of events to this point that you can walk away without getting assaulted again! Tone, demeaner and behavior prior to the attack shows two people who are acting aggressively, adding to conflict and two who are calmly trying to end the conflict until it seemed walking away wasn't going to be an option. Self defense extends until a threat is over and only over the force necessary to end it. It started with an adult, there was no attempt to de-escalate and he continued to fight back, so the MMA guy has the right to fight until he is no longer in danger. You can't determine a broken bone is excessive because we have no idea when he gained it, but we do know he presented a United front with his friend that was an aggressor, still making personal contact moments before the retaliation and failing to surrender on the ground. It's open to interpretation but you don't get to say no reasonable person could believe his actions necessary, it needs to be interpreted in the courthouse, the only appropriate place for that because it's the best system for that. Everything else is your prejudice (legal sense not racial) and I doubt you'd so readily disregard due process if you were up for something.

Prudence is a guilty plea? Tell you what, don't need to hire a lawyer at all, everyone knows you hire a good lawyer to avoid jail, not because you're innocent. If he wants to avoid looking guilty he should represent himself.

Being stupid doesn't prove you're innocent, it attracted attention so it's not going away, the guy got injured so there's no way this doesn't end up in front of a judge, and regardless of legal trouble the guy is missing work because of injuries he sustained after being attacked and has bills to cover as is.

This is why lawyers and judges are paid to interpret laws and events. The hostility is still present, he's doing nothing to restrain his friend who already attacked this guy when his back was turned and he's coming off as aggressive himself. If you've ever de-escalated a situation or broken up a fight this isn't how is done. You don't allow one party to continue shocking the other while taking the non-aggressor to get out while threatening his personal space. This dude was left with two options, fight out trust in the face of events to this point that you can walk away without getting assaulted again! Tone, demeaner and behavior prior to the attack shows two people who are acting aggressively, adding to conflict and two who are calmly trying to end the conflict until it seemed walking away wasn't going to be an option. Self defense extends until a threat is over and only over the force necessary to end it. It started with an adult, there was no attempt to de-escalate and he continued to fight back, so the MMA guy has the right to fight until he is no longer in danger. You can't determine a broken bone is excessive because we have no idea when he gained it, but we do know he presented a United front with his friend that was an aggressor, still making personal contact moments before the retaliation and failing to surrender on the ground. It's open to interpretation but you don't get to say no reasonable person could believe his actions necessary, it needs to be interpreted in the courthouse, the only appropriate place for that because it's the best system for that. Everything else is your prejudice (legal sense not racial) and I doubt you'd so readily disregard due process if you were up for something.
You have really taxed my reading comprehension....got my brain working overtime!

You can't reason with a aggressive drunk in your face it looked to be the guys bulldog mouth overloaded his lab dog ass. For all we know the guy who got B-slapped follow the B-slapper in the restroom.

Do you have a JD?

Do you have a JD?

nope. I’ve got 20 years as a cop, and I would defend these 2 versus any lawyer in this country and win. The 2 on the left- the football player and his buddy, clearly wanted to instigate a fight. When they got the mutual combat that they sought, they quickly found out they didn’t want it after all. Too late. It’s mutual combat. The football player was still trying to resist even after he was on the ground. All 4 are guilty of Disorderly Conduct or none of them are guilty of anything. There is no “assault” in this video.

There was a winner and a loser. In a gun fight, the loser stands a good chance of walking away.

nope. I’ve got 20 years as a cop, and I would defend these 2 versus any lawyer in this country and win. The 2 on the left- the football player and his buddy, clearly wanted to instigate a fight. When they got the mutual combat that they sought, they quickly found out they didn’t want it after all. Too late. It’s mutual combat. The football player was still trying to resist even after he was on the ground. All 4 are guilty of Disorderly Conduct or none of them are guilty of anything. There is no “assault” in this video.
I pretty much agree, but the second MMA guy is awfully close to getting in some legal trouble. He and his brother publicized the fact that they are MMA trained. In any MMA fight, if one fighter goes full mount ground and pound, the ref stops the fight immediately. MMA guy #2 was full mount ground and pound on a guy whose head was cornered into steel and concrete and he kept on punching. Somehow the guy was not hurt that badly which helps MMA #2’s legal situation.

Why does anyone need an attorney? Whats wrong with the good ole days. Shake hands, tell them good fight, and be on your way. Someone got their butt beat. Most likely they deserved it and they are now one step closer to being able to walk away from the petty bar fights .

I don't know. I kinda feel like setting up a GoFundMe to help cover legal fees, before you've been arrested, is equivalent to a guilty plea.
I just donated what it would cost me to go to a movie. I enjoyed that video more than any movie I have seen in a long time.

And how does one verify an eyewitness was drunk? I don’t think that will be possible. Then, a sober eyewitness(s) testimony as to what occurred pre-video could change everything. I don’t think the case is open and shut.
You don’t have to prove it just make a jury question it. A college kid at a bar late at night, it’s not a hard sell

Reactions: The Coup Nazi
Of course the guy is trying to resist after he got sucker punched and put in a head lock. That’s survival instinct when it feels like someone is literally trying to kill you after you never touched them

If you watch the video spencer seems to specifically avoid touching the guy which is incredibly smart

Of course the guy is trying to resist after he got sucker punched and put in a head lock. That’s survival instinct when it feels like someone is literally trying to kill you after you never touched them

If you watch the video spencer seems to specifically avoid touching the guy which is incredibly smart
Good lord, give it a rest! How many 2 cents do you have!

I know it’s been said before in this thread but I’ll say it again. What the WR/Holder did was aggressive and, I believe, qualified as fighting words and mutual combat.
And there’s a big difference between a punch breaking facial bones and a weapon breaking facial bones. MMA boy is probably facing the same misdemeanor and fine that WR is disorderly conduct.

Last edited:
I know it’s been said before in this thread but I’ll say it again. What the WR/Holder did was aggressive and, I believe, qualified as fighting words and mutual combat.
And there’s a big difference between a punch breaking facial bones and a weapon breaking facial bones. MMA boy is probably facing the same misdemeanor and fine that WR is disorderly conduct.
Sure it might have been aggressive language but you are only allowed to use physical force when you feel like their is no other option than to defend yourself. Imho brown was in no immediate danger and the way he acted he seemed to not think that either.

Generally the only words that allow violence is along the lines of “I am going to hit you” which spencer did not say in the video. So him telling him to get out and cussing does not constitute self defense for brown.

The shove might be a better defense however the fact he was not aware of who pushed him (ignorance is not a good defense) and that Spencer showed no inclination to want to fight in the video - sort of dismantles that

What’s lost in all this is how the football player got completely set up by his boy. That other dude pushes the MMA guy and then backs away, leaving his buddy front and center to get hit. I guess he got his in the end though.

Thank you to all of them though for an entertaining video that spurred some entertaining discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT