ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier's biggest screwup

I guess I'm imagining the 11 win seasons
Nobody forgets the "11 win seasons"! The point is he brought us to that competitive/championship level & quit working on the job for a few years not setting the right people in place to leave an established program to move forward and tore down the house he was building as fast as he was building it! That simply overshadowed the good he was doing IMO! Those 3 seasons were great - totally exciting - but how & what he left us is unacceptable and we're now trying to dig back out!

Every coach, even the great ones, miss out on some talent under their noses. Granted, the HBC made some hurried, poor selections for critical staff replacements, relying on the leftover staff's circle of friends instead of searching nationally and vetting for best available fits (further evidence of the beginning of emotional and mental burn-out). However, Steve Spurrier was the very best coach we've ever had! He made us nationally relevant for at least 4 consecutive years. What too many folks don't seem to grasp is that all coaching tenures end with either a) firing, b) resignation, c) retirement, d) or death. I don't care if he quit halfway through the season or not! Some Gamecock fans haven't even considered the possibility that it would have have been much worse for our program if he had completed the season .... just going through the motions like he did the first few games.

Every coach, even the great ones, miss out on some talent under their noses. Granted, the HBC made some hurried, poor selections for critical staff replacements, relying on the leftover staff's circle of friends instead of searching nationally and vetting for best available fits (further evidence of the beginning of emotional and mental burn-out). However, Steve Spurrier was the very best coach we've ever had! He made us nationally relevant for at least 4 consecutive years. What too many folks don't seem to grasp is that all coaching tenures end with either a) firing, b) resignation, c) retirement, d) or death. I don't care if he quit halfway through the season or not! Some Gamecock fans haven't even considered the possibility that it would have have been much worse for our program if he had completed the season .... just going through the motions like he did the first few games.
I was with you until you stated it could have been much worse if he stayed. We lost to El CID......it doesn't get worse than that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT