ADVERTISEMENT

State of the Athletic Department

... (even the great McGuire never got us there!)...
Don't besmirch McGuire. We didn't know what a dang basketball was until he got there. And we played in a barn - not even a barn. And winning the ACC tournament against Tar Heels is still the most excited I've ever been about a basketball game. And this wouldn't have been the kind of place Martin would have even wanted to come had there never been a Frank McGuire here.

OK, I could create a list of all the good things teams other than football have done since Tanner has been A.D., but obviously you don't care (to sum it up, every team other than cross country has made the NCAA tournament at least once during his watch, but I won't waste your time with all the various championships, Final Fours etc.) Football is the only sport that creates revenue at USC (men's basketball and baseball lose money each year - I asked at a Gamecock Club meeting a couple years back).

So football only: Assuming Muschamp and the Gamecocks beat Akron, Muschamp will have the most wins of ANY USC football coach in history for his first 3 years on the job. I think you have a false sense of our own history in football and think that somehow Tanner has destroyed a traditionally great program. 100+ years of Carolina football and only 4 years with 10 or more wins (and the 1984 season wasn't as great as folks would like to remember as USC lost to freaking Navy and lost its bowl game.) So tell me again what Tanner has done to put the department in the dumpster?

All of our women's programs are relevant, and I know you don't care. WBB is rebuilding, but they will be fine. MBB stinks this year, but still has a Final Four (even the great McGuire never got us there!). Baseball - definitely on the way up with the hiring of Kingston who was lauded by national pundits as a great hire.

If you're angry that MBB is having a bad year, that's fine. I think some of the players have to be accountable for that, too.
no need to disparage Coach Frank McGuire in your essay

pre-season AP #1

the cover of Sports Illustrated

were it not for a freakish injury, we would have won it all

back off

In a dream state, independent of contract considerations, both Frank and Ray would be headed out at the end of the BB season. (barring some incredible turnaround where we make post-season anything)

Muschamp would have another year with a very tight leash.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Without using google.

Tell me the last 5 national champs in women’s volleyball?

Now tell me the last 5 champs in football.

No one really give a crap about women sports. They are a worth a day or so cheering if they win a title. Compare the WNBA rating vs the NBA. Clemson for good reason is still proud of their two football titles. Just like we are of the CWS.

WBB is a bigger sport, nationally, than College Baseball.

Reactions: king ward
I guess the perception has a lot to do with the fact that the "neighbors" are building mansions and driving Ferraris while we are STILL living in the trailer park driving a damn AMC Gremlin and trying to find someone to take us to the prom.
And do you know why the neighbors were able to build the Ferrari? Because they were smart enough to realize they had a coach who was building something and didn't panic when he lost to USC 5 years in a row. They saw he was building something. Maybe our fans should do the same.

And do you know why the neighbors were able to build the Ferrari? Because they were smart enough to realize they had a coach who was building something and didn't panic when he lost to USC 5 years in a row. They saw he was building something. Maybe our fans should do the same.

Except for one glaring difference...OUR coach has a track record. A past we can point to. We aren't taking a chance on a new coach here. We should know what to expect.

Regionally No, Nationally Yes
Disagree..college baseball is the fastest growing NCAA sport. Viewership of televised games, regionals, super regionals, and the CWS far exceeds anything comparable in women's basketball.

So state of the program,
Thank you for cherry picking the most negative aspects....
Finances and Facilities
So many new facilities and very healthy bank account and giving is going well, as are tickets

Women’s program
Basketball yeah it is going to be a down year 20 wins and an NCAA Bid. Top recruiting class in the national. Perennial top 5-10 Best coach in the country this side of Geno and yet you choose to dis them.#1 in attendance

Soccer
We are now the top program in the SEC 26-3-2 over the last three years. 8 straight Ncaa appearances. Player on the national team. Signed the top player in Fla. last year. Signed the #1 keeper in the country this year. Signed the #1 players in SC&NC. The NC girl has already signed a developmental contract with the Courage. #2 in attendance.

Volleyball
Moribund program now going to the NCAAs with same players as last year when we struggled be .500 Recruiting also picking up.

Softball
Now a perennial top 20 team with aspirations of moving up

Golf&Tennis
National top 5 programs

Equestrian and Beach Volleyball
Though they are developmental sports we are national powers

Track and Field
Some national talent but middle of the road

Cross Country
getting better but still the weak link

Will do men later but must work now

I live in Anderson, I am in the middle of them 24/7, and you can bet your butt they panicked. Here is why I made the mansion/trailer park analogy.... During the Carolina 5 year win streak, Carolina's overall record was 48-17-1. Clemson's overall record during that same time was 47-20. They pretty much matched Carolina's record the whole way. During the Clemson 5 year run, Carolina's overall record(If we win out including the bowl) is 33-31. Clemson's over all record during the same time period is 64-8(If they win out and lose the championship game). Even during our best ever period, they were still pretty much even with us. During their 5 year run they have had twice as many wins as Carolina. Over the past 10 years...Carolina is 81-48-1...Clemson is 111-28. I will not live long enough to see Carolina catch them, I just want to live long enough to see the NCAA catch them.....AGAIN

Last edited:
So state of the program,
Thank you for cherry picking the most negative aspects....
Finances and Facilities
So many new facilities and very healthy bank account and giving is going well, as are tickets

Women’s program
Basketball yeah it is going to be a down year 20 wins and an NCAA Bid. Top recruiting class in the national. Perennial top 5-10 Best coach in the country this side of Geno and yet you choose to dis them.#1 in attendance

Soccer
We are now the top program in the SEC 26-3-2 over the last three years. 8 straight Ncaa appearances. Player on the national team. Signed the top player in Fla. last year. Signed the #1 keeper in the country this year. Signed the #1 players in SC&NC. The NC girl has already signed a developmental contract with the Courage. #2 in attendance.

Volleyball
Moribund program now going to the NCAAs with same players as last year when we struggled be .500 Recruiting also picking up.

Softball
Now a perennial top 20 team with aspirations of moving up

Golf&Tennis
National top 5 programs

Equestrian and Beach Volleyball
Though they are developmental sports we are national powers

Track and Field
Some national talent but middle of the road

Cross Country
getting better but still the weak link

Will do men later but must work now

I literally don’t care about ANY of that. Don’t think most do either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT