ADVERTISEMENT

Stay at home order

vacock#

Oct 26, 1998
“McMaster called it a 'home or work' order. He said the order takes effect at 5 p.m. Tuesday and means that everyone should stay at home unless they are working, visiting family, exercising or obtaining essential goods.“

Question, can delivering trash to the land fill be considered “obtaining essential goods”?

BINGO...so many South Carolinians can not differentiate essential versus nonessential. Too bad, stay home order is coming soon!

“McMaster called it a 'home or work' order. He said the order takes effect at 5 p.m. Tuesday and means that everyone should stay at home unless they are working, visiting family, exercising or obtaining essential goods.“

Question, can delivering trash to the land fill be considered “obtaining essential goods”?
I'm a Virginia guy.....where you from in VA?

My thinking is that McMaster does not want to use the words "shelter-in-place" because it sounds draconian and overbearing. We essentially have that now but with more exceptions than most states. He may tighten those exceptions a little more, but I don't ever expect to hear. "stay at home unless you are a first responder or going to the grocery store, pharmacy or the gas station."

I'm a Virginia guy.....where you from in VA?

I’m from Columbia SC but lived in Springfield, Fairfax Station, and then Falls Church before moving back to SC in Greenville. VA now for Very Accomplished? Where are you?

All this because 44 South Carolinians have died from COVID-19.How many people have died this year in South Carolina from the regular flu?111 people,beginning in October 2019 to the present.Nothing was closed down because they died.McMaster did nothing to prevent their deaths.Will all these businesses be closed again next October to prevent another 100 plus South Carolinians from dying from next year's flu strains? Of course not.Why this overreaction to the coronavirus?The models were off by almost an order of magnitude.Social distancing flattened the curve and prolonged the run of the virus.Herd immunity would have spiked the virus just like every other virus in history and this would have been over weeks ago,with no closures.Some people will need to pay!

Fauci said today he talked to the governors of Nebraska and Iowa, the only two he talked to, and said that he is convinced their policies, in practice, are essentially the same as those of other states with formal orders. I think we all suspected that, but it's good to hear the expert acknowledge it's mostly semantics at this point.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

Do it! One of the first breakdowns in society is failure of sanitary conditions.......note how long one can go w/out seeing law enforcement vs. garbage disposal

[QUOTE="vacock#, post: 5066227, member:

Question, can delivering trash to the land fill be considered “obtaining essential goods”?[/QUOTE]
It is for me! When I get to the dump, the county employee guarding it doesn't shoo me away.

If the trash bags are heavy, you can say you're working out.....

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I guess in our area of the U.S., we were the last state to not do this. NC did it a while back, and now GA has done it, and the Gov. there got flack for not doing it earlier. It probably made McMaster feel some pressure....

All this because 44 South Carolinians have died from COVID-19.How many people have died this year in South Carolina from the regular flu?111 people,beginning in October 2019 to the present.Nothing was closed down because they died.McMaster did nothing to prevent their deaths.Will all these businesses be closed again next October to prevent another 100 plus South Carolinians from dying from next year's flu strains? Of course not.Why this overreaction to the coronavirus?The models were off by almost an order of magnitude.Social distancing flattened the curve and prolonged the run of the virus.Herd immunity would have spiked the virus just like every other virus in history and this would have been over weeks ago,with no closures.Some people will need to pay!
If this post is serious, I weep for you and everyone that associates with you.

111 deaths in 8 months when most of the population has been vaccinated

vs.

44 deaths in a few weeks when no vaccine exists and most are social distancing

Nice comparison, Copernicus.

Last edited:
We passed the stay at home in Florida a week ago . There’s a reason ..., PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS !!! Y’all see those beaches during spring break packed with kids despite all the warnings . New Orleans is in a state of panic right now because of all the people affected during MardiGras . This isn’t a hoax , this isn’t overrating , this is a killer virus . If people in Europe during the Black Plague had the same knowledge and coverage we have today do you guys really think it would have wiped out half their population . The reason this “Stay at home” order is being passed is because all the Dumbasses (me included) ignore Doctors and experts because : “ My 2nd cousin Ricky down at the Jiffy Lube told me it’s all a media fabrication “. Come on guys be smart . They ain’t shutting down the NBA and MLB on a whim . They are not risking the destruction of the US economy and way of life because of “A flu” . If one of those 44 people that died SC was your mother , father , wife , or child you might think differently

Georgia has a shelter in place yet there are more boat ramps open on the Georgia side of Clark’s Hill than the SC side.
Now that our governor has issued this work or home order I guess it will open more ramps on our side? I’m joking but it’s so confusing. Work or home unless it’s for recreation. Complete with a fine or jail time. Couldn’t you put a set of golf clubs or running shoes in the truck and be good to go?

Georgia has a shelter in place yet there are more boat ramps open on the Georgia side of Clark’s Hill than the SC side.
Now that our governor has issued this work or home order I guess it will open more ramps on our side? I’m joking but it’s so confusing. Work or home unless it’s for recreation. Complete with a fine or jail time. Couldn’t you put a set of golf clubs or running shoes in the truck and be good to go?

In Florida you can still fish and hunt . Just can’t be on a boat with a bunch of people . I’ve gone fishing everyday since the lockdown but it’s just me . If y’all’s shelter in place is like ours you can still fish , hunt , jog , gold , exercise etc etc . Just don’t do it with a bunch of people

Reactions: 803blf
In Florida you can still fish and hunt . Just can’t be on a boat with a bunch of people . I’ve gone fishing everyday since the lockdown but it’s just me . If y’all’s shelter in place is like ours you can still fish , hunt , jog , gold , exercise etc etc . Just don’t do it with a bunch of people
That is exactly the question I wanted to ask. Can I still turkey and hog hunt in SC? Anyone know?

The curve has not been flattened.

I have a couple of nieces that live in Raleigh which theoretically has the “lockdown”. It’s no different than what we have here in SC. They go to the Wolfpack club and run on their greenway. They have been also running in downtown Raleigh neighborhoods. And yes the curve is greatly flattening. Since we don’t live in a very densely populated area such as NYC or the area of New Jersey along the Hudson opposite NYC we start out way ahead and much safer. This will be over by June 1st.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
I don't necessarily agree with everything in this article but the author asks some interesting questions and makes some very valid points. State and local governments don't always use common sense and I don't think anyone truly understands how the government determines what is considered essential. If you skim the article than be sure to read the final paragraph.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/wals...state-and-none-of-us-should-be-okay-with-that

Last edited:
I don't necessarily agree with everything in this article but the author asks some interesting questions and makes some very valid points. State and local governments don't always use common sense and I don't think anyone truly understands how the government determines what is considered essential. If you skim the article than be sure to read the final paragraph.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/wals...state-and-none-of-us-should-be-okay-with-that
This article is spot on. Our (inalienable) rights serve no purpose if they can be revoked by the government anytime they feel necessary. These provisions weren't provided with exceptions in the Constitution when it was written. The government is illegally seizing power it doesn't have the right to, the exact circumstances the Fathers were worried about which prompted the drafting of the Bill of Rights. Those aren't rights if the government can take them. They're privileges, and it's not the Bill of Privileges.

This article is spot on. Our (inalienable) rights serve no purpose if they can be revoked by the government anytime they feel necessary. These provisions weren't provided with exceptions in the Constitution when it was written. The government is illegally seizing power it doesn't have the right to, the exact circumstances the Fathers were worried about which prompted the drafting of the Bill of Rights. Those aren't rights if the government can take them. They're privileges, and it's not the Bill of Privileges.

The police chief in Colorado and prosecutor in Ohio should both be immediately removed over their comments. They both seem a little overly power hungry with zero regard for citizen's rights. Going outside is not a right? As if we're all inmates.

All of this may seem quite oppressive and gestapo-ish, but a police chief in Colorado put those worries aside by explaining that the act of leaving your house and going outside is not a right but a “privilege” that can be revoked if it is “misused.” A prosecutor in Ohio, exploding in a fit of rage during a radio interview, said that those who defy his state’s stay-at-home order are committing “felonious assault” and if you’re guilty of that, you can “sit your butt in jail, sit there and kill yourself.”

Reactions: paladin181

It's still quite a long list of activities you can do under a stay at home or shelter in place order. Obviously, you can still go to stores, you can go to the park (though playgrounds and basketball courts etc will be closed), you can go for a walk or a bike ride, etc.

Thurmond (Clark's Hill), Russell, and Hartwell are COE lakes. Those are federal ramps. The COE has closed gates to ramps that are behind gates. Ramps without gates remain open.

I don’t think the founding fathers took one thing into account ... individual stupidity . If folks listened to trained experts and followed directions and made smart decisions on
Their own accords there would be no issues . When a weather man tells you there’s a Cat 5 hurricane coming in minutes do you go to the beach ?? Essentially that’s what people were doing “Because they know better” than the doctors , physicians and disease experts . Yes... unfortunately the Government is interceding because half of our population (me included) were too dumb to take this seriously.

Since the governor basically eliminated jobs and paychecks of citizens, will he work without a paycheck? That’s the problem, he is unaffected by his orders. It’s time for government to live under their own edicts. He will be paid no matter what. Screw him.

I don’t think the founding fathers took one thing into account ... individual stupidity . If folks listened to trained experts and followed directions and made smart decisions on
Their own accords there would be no issues . When a weather man tells you there’s a Cat 5 hurricane coming in minutes do you go to the beach ?? Essentially that’s what people were doing “Because they know better” than the doctors , physicians and disease experts . Yes... unfortunately the Government is interceding because half of our population (me included) were too dumb to take this seriously.
It's our right to make dumb decisions. The government doesn't need to protect people too dumb to do intelligent things. I still think the thing is overblown. There is evidence of severe media sensationalization, and the actual reported numbers don't add up to panic. But by the same token, I am taking prudent measures (staying at home unless working or feeding my family, or getting materials for home projects I suddenly have a ton more time for) and staying away from other people. Washing my hands 5-10 times a day was already a thing when working in the public, so that hasn't changed. There is a difference between taking prudent action and begging the government to take your rights away. Just because I agree with the message they're conveying about being responsible doesn't mean I think they should be able to enforce it by taking away unalienable rights. Rights. God given rights, not government granted rights. Rights that are established so that the government CANNOT do what they are doing, and people are rolling over and begging them to take them (criticizing governors for not issuing illegal draconian orders to stay home or else). The whole point of rights is that the government has to honor them ESPECIALLY when it is inconvenient to them. But let's roll over in the name of manufactured fear and the slimmest possibility of an invisible enemy that gives 80% of people the sniffles. Take the severe minority and be frightened by that. Destroy your life and your God given rights over fear. I will not. I have the right to not be afraid, and I won't let some over blown scary numbers distract me from the facts. Less than 1% are actually infected as per reported cases. Less than 5% of that less than 1% die from it. If I take the approximately 0.1% infection rate (reported) and multiply that by the 3.5% mortality rate, the chance of me dying from this is approximately 0.0035% or about 35 in 100,000 vs 1 in 1 that my family will be homeless or starve if I cant keep working. I'll take my chances.

It's our right to make dumb decisions. The government doesn't need to protect people too dumb to do intelligent things. I still think the thing is overblown. There is evidence of severe media sensationalization, and the actual reported numbers don't add up to panic. But by the same token, I am taking prudent measures (staying at home unless working or feeding my family, or getting materials for home projects I suddenly have a ton more time for) and staying away from other people. Washing my hands 5-10 times a day was already a thing when working in the public, so that hasn't changed. There is a difference between taking prudent action and begging the government to take your rights away. Just because I agree with the message they're conveying about being responsible doesn't mean I think they should be able to enforce it by taking away unalienable rights. Rights. God given rights, not government granted rights. Rights that are established so that the government CANNOT do what they are doing, and people are rolling over and begging them to take them (criticizing governors for not issuing illegal draconian orders to stay home or else). The whole point of rights is that the government has to honor them ESPECIALLY when it is inconvenient to them. But let's roll over in the name of manufactured fear and the slimmest possibility of an invisible enemy that gives 80% of people the sniffles. Take the severe minority and be frightened by that. Destroy your life and your God given rights over fear. I will not. I have the right to not be afraid, and I won't let some over blown scary numbers distract me from the facts. Less than 1% are actually infected as per reported cases. Less than 5% of that less than 1% die from it. If I take the approximately 0.1% infection rate (reported) and multiply that by the 3.5% mortality rate, the chance of me dying from this is approximately 0.0035% or about 35 in 100,000 vs 1 in 1 that my family will be homeless or starve if I cant keep working. I'll take my chances.

Yes, there need to be benchmarks as when certain portions of the company can reopen. The one size fits all does not work.

Reactions: paladin181

I think that’s nonsense.

the government isn’t taking your rights away and the limits they are temporarily placing isn’t for no reason.

thankfully, our government has very strong powers in cases of national emergency. If you feel violated, take the government to court and argue your case. You are free to exercise that right unless posting and complaining on a message board is all you want to do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT