ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Tips

josillor

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2004
Anybody got any advice for a good mutual fund or stock to get into? Just shuffling a little bit of money around as one of my small investments is not earning enough to warrant keeping.

Edit: Meant to post this in another forum...oh well, advice from anyone is appreciated.

I've been getting phone calls telling me " you can multiply your savings by the thousands" if I just give them my account #.

Anybody got any advice for a good mutual fund or stock to get into? Just shuffling a little bit of money around as one of my small investments is not earning enough to warrant keeping.

Edit: Meant to post this in another forum...oh well, advice from anyone is appreciated.

Stock = General Electric Common Stock
Mutual Fund = Fidelity Magellan

You will NEVER hear a broker or investment adviser say this BUT...... Unless you are old AND wealthy, NEVER buy Bonds, including tax free municipal bonds, under any circumstances whatsoever. Remember, stocks are OWNERSHIP, bonds are a LOAN. When bonds are doing very well (which means interest rates are sky rocketing), the issuer simply pays them off ahead of time and there is absolutely nothing that you can do about it.

Here's a tip... and I'm serious... WATcH THE WOLF OF WALLSTREET

In all honesty I missed my window on election night when the market tanked. The rebound would have made me a rich man.

You will NEVER hear a broker or investment adviser say this BUT...... Unless you are old AND wealthy, NEVER buy Bonds, including tax free municipal bonds, under any circumstances whatsoever. Remember, stocks are OWNERSHIP, bonds are a LOAN. When bonds are doing very well (which means interest rates are sky rocketing), the issuer simply pays them off ahead of time and there is absolutely nothing that you can do about it.
Not too sure I agree. I have been very happy with the SC Municipal bonds I bought seven or eight years ago. They have been paying 5% since then, and the fact that the income is tax free it is like a 7.2% (almost guaranteed) investment. I sleep well at night not having to worry about how the stock market is doing.

Follow labor union contracts. During contract years company stock falls a ton out of fear of strike. Normally it jumps back high after. I plan on buying into YRC and ArcBest in late 2017 when rumors of strikes come out.

Keep in mind that both of those companies will go out of business if their is a strike. I wouldn't go long term with either. Union carrier companies are a dying thing, but there is money to be made up until they go bancrupt.

Figure what will be different under Trump with the Grumpy Old Pachyderm in charge of all branches of government.

I'd look for energy or any other industry dependent on not bearing the long-term costs of disposing of their byproducts to do well.

The financial industry ought to prosper as any regulations holding them in check like Dodd-Frank are scrapped. But with this done, timing the next total melt-down might be tricky. Completely unfettered capital will always periodically self-destruct and have to start over at the expense of others.

Reactions: cockydev

Couple of ideas, but keep in mind that almost everything is at all time highs: IYY. (An ETF that includes the 30 DJIA stocks). My personal favorite is UTMD (a medical device manufacturer that will benefit from ACA tax on devices repeal). Bank of America should come around in the future so go for it if you can wait for a few years for better upside. These are my thoughts as an investor. I am not a financial services employee.

Find a financial investor with a good reputation who only makes money when you do. He won't steer you wrong.

I'm not trying to be a SA, but since you are posting on sports forum for financial advice, stick with index funds. Also investigate robo investing, like betterment.

I'm not trying to be a SA, but since you are posting on sports forum for financial advice, stick with index funds. Also investigate robo investing, like betterment.
fyi:

XME is an index

expense ratio: 35 bps

"a small amount"

OP, you can get good advice on this forum for today, but there won't be anyone to let you know when is the best time to sell and then get into a different industry or product. If you don't believe financial advisors are worth their fees, then an index fund is for you. My last statement is my assumption since you are posting for financial advice here.

There is a reason you will never hear a broker or investment advisor tell you that stuff about bonds- You have it all completely backwards!! Bond values tank when interest rates rise. Suddenly, the bond you are invested in is worth less to other investors- because they can get a new one at a higher rate of return, so the one you own becomes illiquid (or can only be sold at a huge discount). Corporations issuing the bonds would not call a bond that is locked at a lower rate (their interest rate on the loan is lower) and pay off that debt with a new bond that costs them more!

When rates go DOWN, corporations will call bonds (IF they are callable, which is not always the case... IOW, there is something you can do- buy bonds that are not callable), so they can pay off the high interest rate debt with new bonds at a lower rate. Works just like a refi on your mortgage... when you refinance do you want to do it at a higher or lower rate?

As to what is a good investment- some said index funds? They are great.. if the market is going up. What is your strategy for when the market moves against you? Which index should you track? Is one index fund a well diversified investment? When do you get in and when do you get out?

Diversification and asset allocation rebalanced regularly to keep risks in line with goals is the only strategy proven to work over the long term. IOW: Weighing gains against risk, determining how much risk you can handle, rebalancing without emotion... read about modern portfolio theory.
Some of you guys are lost man.., Hate on advisors all ya'll want, but the mere fact people are asking for advice and fumbling over simple investment facts here is proof THEY NEED GOOD ADVICE. Do you want the advice to come form some random on a website (perhaps your brother the brick layer, that guy you talked to at church one time who claimed he make a bunch on a stock?) or from a professional in the upindustry with years of education, training and experience?

Your choice, your money! ;)

What kind of money, meaning tax implications, and holding horizon, ie short, medium, long?

Short turnaround, deferred tax implications, small stack with possible high multiple return, high risk, going by chartists?

Check UGAZ/DGAZ charts Nov/Jan.

These are high risk leveraged funds with high share decay.

What kind of money, meaning tax implications, and holding horizon, ie short, medium, long?

Short turnaround, deferred tax implications, small stack with possible high multiple return, high risk, going by chartists?

Check UGAZ/DGAZ charts Nov/Jan.

These are high risk leveraged funds with high share decay.
3x ETFs based on commodity futures (i.e UWTI) whose underlying asset is in contango will decay over time.

3x ETFs based on underlying assets that do not have a forward curve (i.e. SPXL) will outperform their underlier GIVEN THE ASSUMPTION that the underlier will rise over time.

Good luck.

In fairness, I was trying to post this on Small Talk where I know some frequent traders roam. I take everything with a gran of salt, but I do like getting some leads that I may not have otherwise researched. That being said, I do need a good financial advisor.

In fairness, I was trying to post this on Small Talk where I know some frequent traders roam. I take everything with a gran of salt, but I do like getting some leads that I may not have otherwise researched. That being said, I do need a good financial advisor.
My best advice is to simply select a company that you yourself like as a customer. If you like that company, chances are others like them as well. For example, Hilton Hotels. I love to stay at Hilton properties (mostly Hampton Inn) so I bought the stock. That's also why I bought Wendy's stock.

3x ETFs based on commodity futures (i.e UWTI) whose underlying asset is in contango will decay over time.

3x ETFs based on underlying assets that do not have a forward curve (i.e. SPXL) will outperform their underlier GIVEN THE ASSUMPTION that the underlier will rise over time.

Good luck.
Correct, which is why I pointed out high risk and share decay in my original post. This would be a timing trade, only beneficial for knowledgeable investors, with tight stops, for only a short horizon, with deferred tax implications, while waiting for short term positive asset class turmoil to shake out as Fed Rate Hike/Trump Rally/Santa Rally plays out into mid January, to then invest in more stable, longer horizon asset classes.

Correct, which is why I pointed out high risk and share decay in my original post. This would be a timing trade, only beneficial for knowledgeable investors, with tight stops, for only a short horizon, with deferred tax implications, while waiting for short term positive asset class turmoil to shake out as Fed Rate Hike/Trump Rally/Santa Rally plays out into mid January, to then invest in more stable, longer horizon asset classes.
this stuff is more like gambling than investing

investing should have a longer time horizon

good luck

go cocks!

this stuff is more like gambling than investing

investing should have a longer time horizon

good luck

go cocks!
If they're looking for a more stable, medium to long term trend, sector trading unleveraged consumer discretionary and durable goods are worth a look.

Can we at least agree that large institutional use of algorithims and sector ETFs have created more opportunity for some portion of the individual portfolio, the historically high risk portion that slowly gets reallocated to long term yield as needs evolve, to be traded from a tax deferred account to take advantage of known short term seasonal and economic trends?

Reactions: vehemon

Watch how much Trump is going to stick to his campaign promises.

If he's truly going to build that wall?
If yes,
Find some muni security backed funds that have a historically low yield and near major population centers at the Mexican border. And invest in corporate securities like CEMEX that are going to actually be creating materials for the wall.
If no,
Walmart or any other major corporation that has been capitalizing on cheap labor will continue to do well.

Healthcare?
Tough one on that, half my pharm mutual funds have risen drastically and half of them have actually fallen. Unless Obamacare gets COMPLETELY removed and quickly... i think the market has already compensated there.

The main one I would watch out for is banking. Depending on what they do with Dodd Frank, the bank stocks can move up or down drastically.

A lot of the bank stocks are already up. If they remove a lot of the BS regulations that came from Dodd Frank, you are going to see those bank stocks continue to rise for the next 2-3 years once profits come back. It's costing the banking industry a MASSIVE amount of money to create processes for these regulations. ~20% of them actually make sense and should be in place. The other 80% is GOV meddling and decisions being made by politicians and theorist that have never truly worked in the field. Do you want admins that run the DMV to run your savings and retirement accounts?

If they're looking for a more stable, medium to long term trend, sector trading unleveraged consumer discretionary and durable goods are worth a look.

Can we at least agree that large institutional use of algorithims and sector ETFs have created more opportunity for some portion of the individual portfolio, the historically high risk portion that slowly gets reallocated to long term yield as needs evolve, to be traded from a tax deferred account to take advantage of known short term seasonal and economic trends?
You commented on one of my post a few weeks ago about how I should quit my job and give everyone my opinion. With the audience you have, your comment has the equivalent value of a dissertation at PTA meeting. :)

Wow, a lot of advice from a sport thread. I suggest use the money and enjoy a nice vacation, than buy a power ball ticket and hope for the best.

American Mutual Fund class

http://www.morningstar.com/funds/XNAS/AMRMX/quote.html

Make American Mutual Funds Great Again...

Hard to answer your question given that you have not provided much information. Everything would depend on the following: 1. Your risk tolerance 2. What exactly is your goal ? 3. Is this for short term or long term. 4. Are you looking for dividend stocks 5. What the rest of your portfolio looks like. 6. Do you want small, medium, or large caps, or bonds

If you want some diversification ( the best strategy ) than an index fund would be your best choice. For those who want to invest but are not familiar on the whole process, a target fund is usually a good choice.

Your best best is to either do your own research (advisable ONLY if are comfortable in this field ) or you should reach out to a financial adviser.

After all, it is your money

Go for total return. Check the dividends paid by an issue over time - along with appreciation of price. Weigh both requisites. That's why companies like Coca Cola And General Foods are so well favored over time. Take the long-term approach.

Don't try to time the market and don't do a lot of quick sales for the sake of arbitrage - not unless you're prepared to watch stocks like the day traders do. When your broker advises a "sell" on what has been a good stock - replace that stock with one that looks much the same as the other stock did when you first bought it.

And in engaging an advisor or broker, go for relationship. I feel that the guy I use cares about my family and very much cares about my opinion of him. We are friends and run in the same circle of friends and I believe that heightens his resolve to serve me well. And he has done so for many years.

Not trying to unload anything. Just trying to protect/keep my wealth from the greedy decisions being made by politicians and wall street crooks. Most people agree with you about gold which is fine with me.
Why would you post crap like this?

The market is already rising in spite of the federal government acting as a headwind to growth in recent years.

This shows the power of the latest new wave of technology and innovation.

The cloud, smartphones, tablets, apps, new genetic healthcare advances, 3-D printing, fracking, and so many more new technologies have been able to lift growth anyway.

Imagine what happens when policies get better and the insane, punitive regulatory restraints disappear.

Expect a boom in the market as the economy begins to really grow.

In case you missed it, America will soon be under new management.

Good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT