ADVERTISEMENT

Story: Still no separation in quarterback competition

Avery Wilks

Staff Writer
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2013
After 15 spring practices, including the Garnet and Black spring game on Saturday afternoon, South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier remains hesitant to name a starting quarterback for the upcoming season.

Story below, including thoughts from Spurrier, Scarnecchia, Orth and Mitch.

Here.

Translation......the door is wide open for Nunez. He may not be the man early, but as he starts to grasp more of the offense, just got a feeling that he will be the guy.

I really feel like Mitch will get the nod as the starter. As for the back-up spot... Scarnecchia just about locked that up today. Not to say Orth played poorly, Scarnecchia just looked that much better. He's quick and puts some real zip on the ball. He could be a really good one by the time he's done.

Agree on Scarnecchia. He and Mitch are very close now, but he looks more athletic, and appears to have the potential to be very good. The more experince he gets the better. All that said, I would have no problem if Lorenzo Nunez came in and blew them all away.

Read the tea leaves guys. Spurrier has one more run in him. Or so he wants all to think now. Hopefully the team will be improved next year, but I don't think anyone thinks they have the chance to get to the promised land in the SEC. That is at least a year, or two, down the road. That being said I just don't think Spurrier is going to sit his best QB on the bench in favor of a Connor Mitch who cannot distance himself from a walk-on. The inexperience of Nunez could mean one less victory next year, but worth the experience factor for the two years after that.

He wasn't perfect in the spring game but Mitch has all the tools. Would be surprised if he doesn't get the nod.

Either most of you guys are much better than judging performance than me or Spring games mean nothing. I saw some new and improved talent and attitude on the field today. Mitch looked good and I will be shocked if he is not the QB for this season except for some special packages. I saw some welcome size and ability in the receivers as well as even more improvement in the total defensive package. Maybe the constant whining about the lack of talent and good recruiting has been a little off base. I'm thinking Spurrier and Hoke will be rejuvenated and do the same thing for the whole team. Can be wrong of course, and placing so much trust in kids can bite you, but I'm looking forward to the season again.

I wasn't super-wowed by the receivers, though maybe it was just the lack of star power (Cooper didn't play, and we don't have anyone else that well-known). The distinct impression I got is that we'll try to nickel and dime it this year. Lots of run plays and swing passes to the backs, with the receivers running slightly deeper patterns to clear out the linebackers. Every once in a while we'll throw a long pass to keep them honest. If that's all we're asking the receivers to do, I think we'll be okay, but I wouldn't expect many 100-yard games from anyone not named "Pharoah Cooper." Outside of him, they'll be adequate for the task they're given, but not much else. That was my impression, anyway. Here's hoping I'm wrong!

IMO, based on what I saw Saturday, I was there, so didnt see as much as TV may have shown, but if Scarnecchia (sp) puts on some weight, he may be VERY VERY good.. Heard looked impressive at Wide out as well..

Originally posted by Mox94:
Read the tea leaves guys. Spurrier has one more run in him. Or so he wants all to think now. Hopefully the team will be improved next year, but I don't think anyone thinks they have the chance to get to the promised land in the SEC. That is at least a year, or two, down the road. That being said I just don't think Spurrier is going to sit his best QB on the bench in favor of a Connor Mitch who cannot distance himself from a walk-on. The inexperience of Nunez could mean one less victory next year, but worth the experience factor for the two years after that.
If he wants one more run, then he better go sign a really good QB because the ones we have won't get it done. If scholarship players can't get way ahead of a walk on, then we are in trouble and done a poor job of recruiting a QB.....

Originally posted by basses:
If he wants one more run, then he better go sign a really good QB because the ones we have won't get it done. If scholarship players can't get way ahead of a walk on, then we are in trouble and done a poor job of recruiting a QB.....
Save this one and repost it in November. If it holds water, as per Cousin Vinnie, then some of us will offer you a toast. If not, think of some suitable crow eating to offer us.

Mitch is the starter. Nunez or Cooper will be the wildcat option. I hope we donot have to go beyond that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT