ADVERTISEMENT

Sue Bird, WNBA colleagues to stay on court for anthem at Olympics

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
What do you bet that Dawn Staley had a heart to heart talk the team and said this isn't the time nor place to walk off the court during National Anthem while wearing the USA uniform.

Reactions: redrogers
I doubt it myself. It clearly says at the end its all but impossible for them to leave the court before the national anthem since tipoff is immediately afterwards.

I doubt that she had a "heart to heart" with the team since she allowed the USC WBB team to sit during the anthem throughout the year.

I think that with Sue Bird carrying the flag during the opening ceremonies and having her teammates just behind her to support her, maybe a little patriotism feeling crept in. I think it is different when you are representing your country against other countries than being at home and making their "statements". Besides, the tip off is immediately after. They would start off with a tech foul for delay of game.

I didn't agree with the WBB team not standing, and I don't agree with Olympic athletes not respecting the anthem.

What they do on their own time, I don't give a fat rat's a$$.

Yea, no way Dawn would ever be considered patriotic enough to elected by all the Olympic captains to carry the American flag in an opening ceremony of the Olympics.

Yea, no way Dawn would ever be considered patriotic enough to elected by all the Olympic captains to carry the American flag in an opening ceremony of the Olympics.

Great video, thanks for posting!

Reactions: winloseortie

That was well before the media convinced the woken how horrible and unfair the country is.

That was well before the media convinced the woken how horrible and unfair the country is.
Yea there was no media talking about civil rights prior to 5 years ago. Your version of patriotism seems to exclude the possibility that you can love America and want to change what is wrong with our nation

America! America!
May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness
And every gain divine!

Did you even know Dawn carried the flag?

Please articulate how those five dishonored the anthem or flag.
Ali threw his gold medal in the river because of Vietnam and racism, Kareem refused to play for the Olympic team because of racism, the dodgers were vilified as communist and Unamerican for breaking the color barrier. Jackie Robinson was vilified the same way when he left baseball and spoke out on civil rights. Russell counseled African American athletes not to participate in the 68 Olympics

And it appears you didn’t know Dawn carried the flag

Last edited:
It’s unreasonable to lump all protesters togethers.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
God Lord how hypocritical and asinine you sound. Ali THREW HIS GOLD MEDAL IN THE RIVER. Great American!!!! Some soccer players won’t stand for the national anthem to protest injustice. Burn the witches at the stake

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
Some of you need to grow up. Being critical of the U.S. in a particular area is not saying that the US is horrible. This defensive attitude many have gotten to any criticism is as bad as a teenager saying that you are hating when you are just trying to provide some constructive correction. Can’t even teach slavery and other parts of US history in schools anymore because people want to look good all the time and in every respect.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
God Lord how hypocritical and asinine you sound. Ali THREW HIS GOLD MEDAL IN THE RIVER. Great American!!!! Some soccer players won’t stand for the national anthem to protest injustice. Burn the witches at the stake
I sound asinine for having a nuanced view? First of all, I wasn’t of age to make a judgement in 1960, I doubt you are. Second, that happened in 1960, before civil rights. Again, what exactly are these white women protesting?

I sound asinine for having a nuanced view? First of all, I wasn’t of age to make a judgement in 1960, I doubt you are. Second, that happened in 1960, before civil rights. Again, what exactly are these white women protesting?
Unfortunately I am old enough to remember the 60’s. I will retract asinine. Instead I will be Polite just for you, historically challenged and seemingly unwilling to explore. Your version of nuanced appears to me as walking through life with blinders on.

Reactions: Gamekem

That was before President Trump embraced the flag. She and almost all black athletes fall in line with the mantra of BLM.

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
Unfortunately I am old enough to remember the 60’s. I will retract asinine. Instead I will be Polite just for you, historically challenged and seemingly unwilling to explore. Your version of nuanced appears to me as walking through life with blinders on.
Passive aggressiveness noted. Please tell me what exactly the soccer team is protesting. I’m open to listening.

Passive aggressiveness noted. Please tell me what exactly the soccer team is protesting. I’m open to listening.
I will Let their words speak for themselves. Read what they say, not what I or CNN or Fox say they say. There are plenty of articles and interviews. Especially with the much demonized Megan Rapinoe. She personally overcame a lot to succeed. She is bright and articulate though I am sure her politics will enrage you

That was before President Trump embraced the flag. She and almost all black athletes fall in line with the mantra of BLM.

Dick Nixon wrapped himself in the flag and told me that all black athletes protesting had been corrupted by Godless communists trying to bring down America. You are singing the same song just a later verse

I will Let their words speak for themselves. Read what they say, not what I or CNN or Fox say they say. There are plenty of articles and interviews. Especially with the much demonized Megan Rapinoe. She personally overcame a lot to succeed. She is bright and articulate though I am sure her politics will enrage you
Oh that sounds great. Maybe you point me in the direction of an article you found particularly poignant.

Oh that sounds great. Maybe you point me in the direction of an article you found particularly poignant.
Her interview with Terry Gross on NPR’s fresh air would be a good place to get a sense of her. IF I remember correctly she also talks about the drug addiction in her family.

Her interview with Terry Gross on NPR’s fresh air would be a good place to get a sense of her. IF I remember correctly she also talks about the drug addiction in her family.
Does it go in depth about her protest, or is it a piece about her personal struggles?

Ali threw his gold medal in the river because of Vietnam and racism, Kareem refused to play for the Olympic team because of racism, the dodgers were vilified as communist and Unamerican for breaking the color barrier. Jackie Robinson was vilified the same way when he left baseball and spoke out on civil rights.

And it appears you didn’t know Dawn carried the flag
Pretty weak argument friend.
Some of you need to grow up. Being critical of the U.S. in a particular area is not saying that the US is horrible. This defensive attitude many have gotten to any criticism is as bad as a teenager saying that you are hating when you are just trying to provide some constructive correction. Can’t even teach slavery and other parts of US history in schools anymore because people want to look good all the time and in every respect.
Quite the naive view. Dishonoring symbols of the country which provides the platform and benefits they enjoy is not “criticism”. We do not dishonor the Japanese because of their atrocities in WWII, we do not dishonor Italians because the Romans persecuted Christians. Perhaps it is others who would benefit from the “growing up.”

Reactions: The Coup Nazi

Quite the naive view. Dishonoring symbols of the country which provides the platform and benefits they enjoy is not “criticism”. We do not dishonor the Japanese because of their atrocities in WWII, we do not dishonor Italians because the Romans persecuted Christians. Perhaps it is others who would benefit from the “growing up.”
If they are so weak they wouldn’t not have suffered the consequences they did.

And you really didn’t know Dawn carried the flag

How long is the list of Americans you pull against? Was Ali on that list? The Brooklyn Dodgers? Kareem? Bill Russell? Jackie Robinson?
As long as the list is for the people who hate America. It's pretty simple. Why do you pull for those people?

You know what? I can accept your take on it as being dishonorable. Although I disagree with that, I can see where you are coming from. My issue is with people wrapping themselves in the flag and saying you are hating on America every time you may say something critical. I think the District of Columbia should be a state. Is that hating on America? Slavery happened in the U.S. Is that hating on America. We complain about educational indoctrination. However, legislatures all over the country are trying to ban the teaching of critical race theory. That is attempted indoctrination in my opinion. If critical race theory was required curriculum, I could see the issue. However, you can’t teach it to those who may want it? What’s that?

Reactions: winloseortie
As long as the list is for the people who hate America. It's pretty simple. Why do you pull for those people?
I don’t think they hate America..... I don’t hate America. I do quite often have a lover’s quarrel with America. We are the grandest/greatest experiment in democracy ever! And yet we fail at living up to our best dreams so often

You know what? I can accept your take on it as being dishonorable. Although I disagree with that, I can see where you are coming from. My issue is with people wrapping themselves in the flag and saying you are hating on America every time you may say something critical. I think the District of Columbia should be a state. Is that hating on America? Slavery happened in the U.S. Is that hating on America. We complain about educational indoctrination. However, legislatures all over the country are trying to ban the teaching of critical race theory. That is attempted indoctrination in my opinion. If critical race theory was required curriculum, I could see the issue. However, you can’t teach it to those who may want it? What’s that?
Conservative and liberal alike have criticisms. As a conservative, I want to know what those criticisms are from the other side, especially when they kneel on the flag. Nobody has answered that! All I hear is some nebulous perspective of unfairness. Please! Someone tell me what they want. Im listening!

Conservative and liberal alike have criticisms. As a conservative, I want to know what those criticisms are from the other side, especially when they kneel on the flag. Nobody has answered that! All I hear is some nebulous perspective of unfairness. Please! Someone tell me what they want. Im listening!
Already heard you and pointed you in a direction

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT