ADVERTISEMENT

Tackling - Boston College

cofcgamecock9

Jan 12, 2006
So I know there is a lot of venting today. I get it and I was frustrated too. But after our game, I really thought about the defense and I said to myself that they are decimated with injuries and I used the common refrain of "well, we just don't have the talent yet". I watch Montac and I think if he is the best we can put out there, then we have to wait for better players to arrive.

Then I sit down and watch BC play Clemson and I watch them tackle. Sure they probably aren't going to beat Clemson as they just don't have the offense, especially now that a backup is playing. But they are doing a GREAT job of tackling some really elite athletes for Clemson. That may change in the second half, but I definitely don't see them dropping to the level we have been tackling.

So that takes me back to my original thoughts. Does BC really have better "talent" than what SC has, even having to put out injured guys? I would be willing to bet (I haven't looked) that they are a bunch of two and three star guys on the defense. Yet, their tackling tonight is light years ahead of ours.

*disclaimer is that I have only watched BC in one half of football.

The problem is we have nobody to replace these guys that consistently miss assignments, get out of their gaps, and make piss poor tackling efforts.

Our team is full of a bunch of big mouthed punks that think they are much better than they are because they compare themselves to one another. It’s been that way since “never again”....we talk so much but the fact is this defense is not tough, despite on what Muschamp keeps saying, and doesn’t play smart football. We don’t fight off blocks. We seem to just allow the line to push us back. We often aren’t even making contact with their back 2-3 yards down field on a run that is bottled up. It feels like our guys give up on plays and jog. I feel like they are all waiting on someone else to make a play. Our secondary clearly avoids contact, even when they are the last line of defense between a stop and a TD.

I have never seen a more arrogant, cocky bunch of football players that need to shut up more than our defense. The way they ended the game today was an embarrassment to our program and university. Muschamp should be ashamed this is the best he has in his 3rd year.

The problem is we have nobody to replace theses guys that consistently miss assignments, get out of their gaps, and make piss poor tackling efforts.

Our team is full of a bunch of big mouthed punks that think they are much better than they are because they compare themselves to one another. It’s been that way since “never again”....we talk so much but the fact is this defense is not tough, despite on what Muschamp keeps saying, and doesn’t play smart football. We don’t fight off blocks. We seem to just allow the line to push us back. We often aren’t even making contact with their back 2-3 yards down field on a run that is bottled up. It feels like our guys give up on plays and jog. I feel like they are all waiting on someone else to make a play. Our secondary clearly avoids contact, even when they are the last line of defense between a stop and a TD.

I have never seen a more arrogant, cocky bunch of football players that need to shut up more than our defense. The way they ended the game today was an embarrassment to our program and university. Muschamp should be ashamed this is the best he has in his 3rd year.

Here here.

You don't have to be the most talented guy to tackle. You just have to be willing to not be scared of contact and learn how to tackle properly.

So why don't we? We have seen Muschamp at every other stop have a really good defense that can tackle. T-Rob has a good reputation (I think). Did they suddenly get here and decide they didn't want to have guys that tackle (sarcasm). Is it the chicken curse in full force?

Seriously, why? No way BC has better athletes than SC and we actually tackled well when Muschamp first took over. You really think we just have guys that refuse to do it and Muschamp can't do anything about it?

Reactions: Brace1 and Judson1
So why don't we? We have seen Muschamp at every other stop have a really good defense that can tackle. T-Rob has a good reputation (I think). Did they suddenly get here and decide they didn't want to have guys that tackle (sarcasm). Is it the chicken curse in full force?

Seriously, why? No way BC has better athletes than SC and we actually tackled well when Muschamp first took over. You really think we just have guys that refuse to do it and Muschamp can't do anything about it?

It’s a good question. I just don’t think we have anyone else to put in. No depth. But none of it makes sense and that’s why it’s all so frustrating.

Reactions: cofcgamecock9
The problem is we have nobody to replace these guys that consistently miss assignments, get out of their gaps, and make piss poor tackling efforts.

Amen a million times over. Players that act like Benny Blades but play like Elmer Fudd are an embarrassment - and an irritant.

Reactions: Carolina4
Over they summer Boom said that turnover, forcing turnovers was brought up in every defensive meeting. You see our tacklers going for the strip, or ball or hitting high and I wonder if having such a focus on turnovers is ruining fundamentals. I don’t see how properly wrapping up and driving your feet forces a fumble so I wonder if they are taught “different” fundamentals.

Reactions: Brace1
Well we are into the 4th quarter now and BC is absolutely getting after it tackling. Sure they are going to lose the game, but they don't miss tackles like SC does at all. So I am a little less likely to listen to the "talent" argument any longer.

I honestly don't know the answer. Wish I did.

Our guys continually take bad angles and whiff on tackles. All season. BC players square up and make a tackle. And the not tackling but trying to strip the guy doesn’t work.

No ass wipes....the problem is we are trying to tackle Florida Texas A @M Georgia Kentucky Missouri Tennessee etc. We have problems but we play in a man's league
Period
And we’re injured by the time we play Dabbo State and they are pristine. ACC should be FCS level with Troy State at this point. Maybe Wofford.

Reactions: GvlTgr2
So I know there is a lot of venting today. I get it and I was frustrated too. But after our game, I really thought about the defense and I said to myself that they are decimated with injuries and I used the common refrain of "well, we just don't have the talent yet". I watch Montac and I think if he is the best we can put out there, then we have to wait for better players to arrive.

Then I sit down and watch BC play Clemson and I watch them tackle. Sure they probably aren't going to beat Clemson as they just don't have the offense, especially now that a backup is playing. But they are doing a GREAT job of tackling some really elite athletes for Clemson. That may change in the second half, but I definitely don't see them dropping to the level we have been tackling.

So that takes me back to my original thoughts. Does BC really have better "talent" than what SC has, even having to put out injured guys? I would be willing to bet (I haven't looked) that they are a bunch of two and three star guys on the defense. Yet, their tackling tonight is light years ahead of ours.

*disclaimer is that I have only watched BC in one half of football.
I said the exact same thing as I was watching the game, Clemson is the 2nd best team in the nation and BC tackled with no problem, it sure looks like technique and want to is our problem too me, and thats coaching and recruiting!

I said the exact same thing as I was watching the game, Clemson is the 2nd best team in the nation and BC tackled with no problem, it sure looks like technique and want to is our problem too me, and thats coaching and recruiting!
Addazio is known for his hard-nosed football and was a great college defensive coach. Go to YouTube and listen to his pregame locker room speech! Hell I was ready to go tackle Dabo!!

We don't have the players. Blame who or what you want, but the fact is we are stuck playing a bunch of small young guys in a bigboy league. Number 10 can fundnental out the ass and he's not stopping the UF QB or RB's

We don't have the players. Blame who or what you want, but the fact is we are stuck playing a bunch of small young guys in a bigboy league. Number 10 can fundnental out the ass and he's not stopping the UF QB or RB's

He’s a Muschamp recruit. Many of the guys are. So how exactly are we expecting to get better when this is what we are bringing in?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
He's a freshman . THAT. Is the point
Are you saying they will get better, because the comparison between the recruiting rankings in BC and us tells me it's more of a technique and want to attitude. I have seen plenty of our upperclassmen, not square up, wrap up, try to strip the ball instead of bring down the runner, try for the blow up hit instead of the tackle, bad tackling angles, tackling high and getting drug, arm tackling and generally just not smart play. Like the fumble yesterday with two our guys standing over the ball deciding who wanted to fall on it, it's just not smart aggressive football!

Last edited:
BAW, Stirling, Charleston, Jam, Ibe, Harvey, Dickerson - none were on the field yesterday except for Dickerson playing 1 quarter yesterday. I probably am leaving someone out. Just think about it. We were concerned about depth when we had all of those guys. Excuses or reality? I have to say it`s more reality. Our team is trying but it`s clear we are getting tired at the end of games. All the more reason that the offense needs to go all out and not get conservative.

Reactions: cockn'fyr and PC31
BC Guy is a heck of a coach. Always play tough. If he could get some big time recruits, they would start humming.

Only complaint is their PA guy playing “ Hit me with your best shot” between every. Single. Play. Drove me nuts

Its coaching, nothing more and nothing less. Look at BC. Look at Syracuse. Look at FSU. Look at USC. BC and Syracuse have less talent than USC, and in my opinion, beat the dog out of USC and FSU which has more talent than any school mentioned. When you see unforced errors, multiple penalties, undisciplined players, its coaching. Yesterday when USC decided to get tough during the victory formation that showed a complete lack of discipline. And Muschamp and crew did nothing about it. Pitiful coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT