ADVERTISEMENT

Take a step back...

Carolina4

Oct 9, 2006
for a moment. Has Jake been disappointing? Yes. I was as mad as anyone when he threw the pick in the end zone yesterday. I also know they called two consecutive plays where Jake had half the field taken away from him on a roll out and then a 50-50 ball. But still mad.

But at the end of the day is it worth it to drag the kid through the mud like we are doing? Jake chose to be a Gamecock and I’m glad about that. It’s obvious he has potential to play the position as we have seen it at times.

More importantly, Jake is a 20 year old kid. Wouldn’t shock me at all if he read message boards, Twitter, etc to see what’s being said about him. How do we know Jake doesn’t deal with depression? How do we know Jake isn’t at the lowest moment of his life? Honestly, ask yourself if it is worth it to trash the kid over and over?

One thing to voice your displeasure or to say someone else should start. But a lot of this goes further than that, and I just don’t think it’s worth it.

Glad Jake is at SC. He’s certainly better than a lot of the QBs we’ve thrown out there in our history. He’s one of the reasons we had high expectations the past couple of seasons. It stinks to see things not clicking and going well. But I still like the kid.

for a moment. Has Jake been disappointing? Yes. I was as mad as anyone when he threw the pick in the end zone yesterday. I also know they called two consecutive plays where Jake had half the field taken away from him on a roll out and then a 50-50 ball. But still mad.

But at the end of the day is it worth it to drag the kid through the mud like we are doing? Jake chose to be a Gamecock and I’m glad about that. It’s obvious he has potential to play the position as we have seen it at times.

More importantly, Jake is a 20 year old kid. Wouldn’t shock me at all if he read message boards, Twitter, etc to see what’s being said about him. How do we know Jake doesn’t deal with depression? How do we know Jake isn’t at the lowest moment of his life? Honestly, ask yourself if it is worth it to trash the kid over and over?

One thing to voice your displeasure or to say someone else should start. But a lot of this goes further than that, and I just don’t think it’s worth it.

Glad Jake is at SC. He’s certainly better than a lot of the QBs we’ve thrown out there in our history. He’s one of the reasons we had high expectations the past couple of seasons. It stinks to see things not clicking and going well. But I still like the kid.
I have nothing against Jake. I simply believe the coaches have done a poor job of managing the QB's.

I have nothing against Jake. I simply believe the coaches have done a poor job of managing the QB's.

Totally agree. And I think it’s fine to say he hasn’t played well. But there is an undertone to a lot of the posts here that go way past that. Not to mention the point has been made. At this point it’s just beating a dead horse and piling on.

Reactions: viennacocks

I took a step back and I'm still pissed....

Not at Jake, but our coaching staff...

Jake and the rest of the players are a product of our poor coaching and they follow what the coaches want...

I'm surprised no one it talking about our on-side attempt.... That was bad... Players didn't block the TAM players and can't count 10 yards or look at a marker...

The best on-side kick comes from kicking the ball on the ground or player hard and let it bounce like crazy...

Y’alls consternation is directed in the wrong direction. I’ve been vocal about not criticizing the kids. However, Champ was a stupid hire by a woeful AD who is in way over his head. The fact that Champ continuously demonstrates an inability to consistently make smart decisions and hires is all you need to see. After years of this shit, if you don’t see it there’s no point talking about it anymore. Just have to face facts. He and our hillbilly AD are going to be here at least 2.5 more years. The situation will not get better during that period because Champ is not a HC and Tanner is not a real AD. The noise is going to get louder, despite the fact the stadium will become quieter. No big time program would put up with this. Not one. In other words, we are not a big time program. That’s where you’re throwing your money, time, emotion and effort. I think it’s time to direct our displeasure exactly where it belongs. Tanner should not be our AD.

Jake is a good kid but he has to calm down he wears his emotions on his sleeve. I'm glad he's one of us it's that he hasn't gotten better since they pulled the redshirt. He has the tools but the hype build up makes him put pressure on himself just go have fun Jake.

Reactions: The Cool Cock
I have a problem with coaches who are being paid huge salaries for nothing.

Reactions: Sumptacock
Y’alls consternation is directed in the wrong direction. I’ve been vocal about not criticizing the kids. However, Champ was a stupid hire by a woeful AD who is in way over his head. The fact that Champ continuously demonstrates an inability to consistently make smart decisions and hires is all you need to see. After years of this shit, if you don’t see it there’s no point talking about it anymore. Just have to face facts. He and our hillbilly AD are going to be here at least 2.5 more years. The situation will not get better during that period because Champ is not a HC and Tanner is not a real AD. The noise is going to get louder, despite the fact the stadium will become quieter. No big time program would put up with this. Not one. In other words, we are not a big time program. That’s where you’re throwing your money, time, emotion and effort. I think it’s time to direct our displeasure exactly where it belongs. Tanner should not be our AD.
Did it ever cross your mind that nobody, nobody wanted this job, and Tanner did the best he could?

Reactions: funktavious

Maybe Scarneccia suffers from depression. Scarneccia chose to come to Carolina too. Maybe he reads the message boards. Maybe he’s had a tough life.

Bentley isn’t a bad person. Having said that I think it’s time to at least let Scarneccia get some snaps. Will it help us playing a fifth year senior long term? No. But at this point Bentley only has one more year too.

Maybe Scarneccia can light a fire. Maybe these drops are a result from not knowing where the ball is going. Maybe Scarneccia will stink it up, but he’s earned the right to at least go out there and see.

First, there's no such thing as a 20 year old kid. He's a 20 year old man.

Secondly, I really don't see a lot of posts on here that are dragging him through the mud. We are critical of his play and acknowledged his erratic play, but nearly every one of those posts are putting the blame on the coaches. Jake began his career here as an over-performing freshman. He was very good, for a freshman, but made some freshman mistakes. He is still making those freshman mistakes. I don't think it's unfair to acknowledge that, especially since his lack of progression as a player falls on the coaching staff and bears a striking resemblance to Jeff Driskel's career at Florida under Muschamp.

Did it ever cross your mind that nobody, nobody wanted this job, and Tanner did the best he could?
No, I refuse to believe that. Who turns down $3MM - $4MM per year? In the competitive world of CFB, very few would turn it down. In fact, nobody would turn it down if there isn’t another attractive offer. Lincoln Riley should be here. Kirby Smart would be here if UGA had a hillbilly AD.

No, I refuse to believe that. Who turns down $3MM - $4MM per year? In the competitive world of CFB, very few would turn it down. In fact, nobody would turn it down if there isn’t another attractive offer. Lincoln Riley should be here. Kirby Smart would be here if UGA had a hillbilly AD.
You don't know what Smart would have done and he and Riley would have bolted as soon as the Georgia and Nebraska jobs came open. It's pretty inane to call someone with two national championships a hillbilly.

You don't know what Smart would have done and he and Riley would have bolted as soon as the Georgia and Nebraska jobs came open. It's pretty inane to call someone with two national championships a hillbilly.
Riley is at OU. But, no they don’t bolt after a year or 2. That’s a false argument. Clemp is in a shitty conference, located in a redneck section of a small, southern state. Yet, they found a way to keep their coaches. They pay them.

And Tanner is a hillbilly. You don’t have to be Einstein to win a college World Series.

Riley is at OU. But, no they don’t bolt after a year or 2. That’s a false argument. Clemp is in a shitty conference, located in a redneck section of a small, southern state. Yet, they found a way to keep their coaches. They pay them.

And Tanner is a hillbilly. You don’t have to be Einstein to win a college World Series.
Shows how little you know about college baseball. They would head out of Columbia so fast it would make your head spin. Muschamp wouldn't be here if he had had a chance anywhere else. This is a graveyard...sad but true.

Clemson took a chance on an unknown with far less credentials than Muschamp when he was promoted. It was a desperate move. Terry Don Phillips got lucky.

Reactions: funktavious
Maybe Scarneccia suffers from depression. Scarneccia chose to come to Carolina too. Maybe he reads the message boards. Maybe he’s had a tough life.

Bentley isn’t a bad person. Having said that I think it’s time to at least let Scarneccia get some snaps. Will it help us playing a fifth year senior long term? No. But at this point Bentley only has one more year too.

Maybe Scarneccia can light a fire. Maybe these drops are a result from not knowing where the ball is going. Maybe Scarneccia will stink it up, but he’s earned the right to at least go out there and see.

I didn’t realize the fans were booing Scarnecchia and going overboard on the criticism of him.

I didn’t realize the fans were booing Scarnecchia and going overboard on the criticism of him.

No his depression is from watching an inferior QB who can’t win a big game take his spot. There’s not one game over the last 3 years Bentley won that we could not have with Scarneccia.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
No his depression is from watching an inferior QB who can’t win a big game take his spot. There’s not one game over the last 3 years Bentley won that we could not have with Scarneccia.

This is just false. Do you not remember the spark Jake gave to this offense just 2 seasons ago? You make this claim based on watching Scarnecchia play against Missouri? If only we could see how Jake had played against Missouri in the past?

Many of you are missing the point. I’m fine with Jake being benched. I would go as far to say he should’ve sat after the 1st half yesterday. Just for something to happen (but Jake played well in the 2nd half). But there is a difference in saying that and bashing the guy. For those who aren’t bashing him, this isn’t for you. I’m fine with bashing the coaches. They get paid to go through some of that. Many here have done that. Some just go a step further.

I’m just saying I don’t think it’s worth it to do some of that. I understood the booing but I don’t think it’s worth it. That’s all.

This is just false. Do you not remember the spark Jake gave to this offense just 2 seasons ago? You make this claim based on watching Scarnecchia play against Missouri? If only we could see how Jake had played against Missouri in the past?

Many of you are missing the point. I’m fine with Jake being benched. I would go as far to say he should’ve sat after the 1st half yesterday. Just for something to happen (but Jake played well in the 2nd half). But there is a difference in saying that and bashing the guy. For those who aren’t bashing him, this isn’t for you. I’m fine with bashing the coaches. They get paid to go through some of that. Many here have done that. Some just go a step further.

I’m just saying I don’t think it’s worth it to do some of that. I understood the booing but I don’t think it’s worth it. That’s all.

Yes the spark in 2016 allowed us to beat Massachusetts, Missouri, Western Carolina and Tennessee. We lost to Florida, Clemson and South Florida.

I am not “bashing” him. I think Jake Bentley is a good person. He is not a very good quarterback. He does not win a game we are not already favored to win. Scarneccia has earned the right to at least go out there and see if he can perform against a higher caliber team.

The Bentley lovers are hoping he would have preformed the same if not better than Scarneccia. That’s a pretty optimistic assumption based on what I’ve seen from him this season.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
It’s not fair to say JB is not a good QB. He’s only as good as his coaches. I also feel the hype was unwarranted and has only made the situation worse. He replaced a walk on. So, it made him appear even better, and Champ didn’t help by failing to tamp down the publicity. Champ is a poor HC on multiple levels. But, we’re paying him $4.2MM. So he’s marginally brrighter than the hillbilly.

It’s not fair to say JB is not a good QB. He’s only as good as his coaches. I also feel the hype was unwarranted and has only made the situation worse. He replaced a walk on. So, it made him appear even better, and Champ didn’t help by failing to tamp down the publicity. Champ is a poor HC on multiple levels. But, we’re paying him $4.2MM. So he’s marginally brrighter than the hillbilly.

I said not a very good QB. Change my mind.....tell me an example of when he looked good against a good team.

Whether it’s coaching or execution he has not played well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT