ADVERTISEMENT

*** Tale of the tape - Georgia review (New format)

W

Wes Mitchell

I've been playing around with some new software, and decided to try to do most of the Tale of the Tape in video format now.

Other notes:

** With Rashad Fenton out, South Carolina chose to move Chris Lammons to the nickel and play Steven Montac at cornerback in passing situations which left Lammons matched up with Georgia's best receiver, Isaiah McKenzie (basically Georgia's version of Ace Sanders).

** When South Carolina did force Georgia into third and long situations, the Gamecocks got good pressure up front. Darius English continues to get into the back field in passing situations, but T.J. Holloman and Jonathan Walton also had good pass-rush. Georgia adjusted though and on two occasions just ran the ball on third and long and was able to get the first down. Those are back breakers.

** Jamarcus King continues to play a physical brand of football. It's easy to see why he was so highly rated. Antoine Wilder has also played pretty well when he's been in there.

** The officials missed several pass interference calls, in my opinion.

** The staff has to continue to find ways to get the ball to Deebo Samuel (if he can stay healthy). The touchdown run and the 3rd and 9 catch and run for completion in the video are two examples of what he brings to the table. With Samuel, Bryan Edwards, Hayden Hurst and Rico Dowdle, the weapons aren't bad (although they're still for the most part inexperienced).

** Playcalling is the first thing fans turn to when an offense doesn't perform, but I saw a lot of good calls with bad execution. Can you make the argument that it's on the coaches to get the guys to execute? I can go with that, but the playcalling is the least of the offense's problems in my opinion.

** The running game continues to be a problem and I should have focused on that more in the video but I figured it was pretty obvious by now. When you can't run the ball, it exacerbates all the other issues and puts pressure on the other aspects of the game.

** D.J. Park played seven snaps (at guard) at the end of the half, but then never saw the field again.

** As bad as it seemed that South Carolina played on offense and as good as it seemed that Georgia played on offense, the Bulldogs averaged 5.3 yards per play while the Gamecocks averaged 5.1 yards per play. The difference in the game was turnovers and field position.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News