ADVERTISEMENT

Tanners last stand

PELION

Nov 25, 2001
Tanner made an incredibly huge gamble with hiring a coach that has never been a coordinator and now you are seeing the result ! No reputable coordinator is going to join this experiment gone bad and now the question is how does Tanner get a pass on this failure of epic proportions ?

It goes higher up the food chain than that. Low man on the totem pole does not make the decisions.
This goes against all the reporting during the search though. Seems like Ray was able to get his way. Caslen was thought to be in favor of a proven Head Coach.

If you’re blaming the BoT, well maybe, guess they are always likely suspects. But, public reporting indicates Ray was hot on Beamer from the beginning so I doubt his arm needed any twisting.

Reactions: SOSUSC
This goes against all the reporting during the search though. Seems like Ray was able to get his way. Caslen was thought to be in favor of a proven Head Coach.

If you’re blaming the BoT, well maybe, guess they are always likely suspects. But, public reporting indicates Ray was hot on Beamer from the beginning so I doubt his arm needed any twisting.
Ray had been talking through back channels with Napier since last year....and Ray has always preferred a proven head coach and has stated so many times. Caslen participated in EVERY interview and evidently believes he has a knack for picking a leader.

Let me tell you something I know beyond a shadow of a doubt about our beloved school. If this hire absolutely BOMBS worse than we could ever imagine, we won’t fire a president over it even if he helped pick the guy. A place like Clemson absolutely would, we won’t though. Not saying we should, I’m just saying we’ve never operated with an athletics first mindset.

Reactions: Brace1
I think Ray takes an “aw, shucks” approach to his job and isn’t making any sort of “last stand” for my job or to prove to my base that I don’t suck sort of moves. .
I think RT is among the worst A/D’s in the Country and should have need replaced a year or two ago.
Yet one of the few in the country who has managed his department so well that we haven't had to cut a single sport....and have been building and improving facilities non-stop since he took office. Will be interesting to see who will replace that.

Let me tell you something I know beyond a shadow of a doubt about our beloved school. If this hire absolutely BOMBS worse than we could ever imagine, we won’t fire a president over it even if he helped pick the guy. A place like Clemson absolutely would, we won’t though. Not saying we should, I’m just saying we’ve never operated with an athletics first mindset.
I agree with that.

Reactions: Brace1
Odd that we don’t put sports first right? Almost like this is the flagship UNIVERSITY of the State of SC- an institution of higher LEARNING and not a pro football team? When is our BOT going to get some balls and join the NFL like they should?

Odd that we don’t put sports first right? Almost like this is the flagship UNIVERSITY of the State of SC- an institution of higher LEARNING and not a pro football team? When is our BOT going to get some balls and join the NFL like they should?
It’s not about putting sports first BUT having successful sports benefits the entire university as well as the city. We should absolutely put more of an emphasis on winning at football, no question about that.

It’s not about putting sports first BUT having successful sports benefits the entire university as well as the city. We should absolutely put more of an emphasis on winning at football, no question about that.
I agree- I was just joking man. We all (MOST) want to win. I too believe we have missed out on things in the past because admin was focused on the wrong things. That is part of why I was excited to see us try a new route with the SB hire..

Tanner wanted Napier, hence the last second interview. The interview happened online, because of Covid-19 with Tanner. Napier did not want to interview earlier while his season was still going on. I do not think the interview went well. But let's give Beamer a chance, things like this happens. Just too much moving parts in college football right now.

Reactions: rogue cock
Tanner wanted Napier, hence the last second interview. The interview happened online, because of Covid-19 with Tanner. Napier did not want to interview earlier while his season was still going on. I do not think the interview went well. But let's give Beamer a chance, things like this happens. Just too much moving parts in college football right now.
If it was the one on Dec. 2nd, it was face-to-face with Tanner and Zoom with Caslen and the BOT member(s).

Ray had been talking through back channels with Napier since last year....and Ray has always preferred a proven head coach and has stated so many times. Caslen participated in EVERY interview and evidently believes he has a knack for picking a leader.
Excuse me, but I thought it was Ray who hired Muschamp after Fla kicked him to the curb. Maybe he preferred a proven head coach after he hired a failed head coach. Neither Caslen or Tanner seems to have a knack for anything football related.

Excuse me, but I thought it was Ray who hired Muschamp after Fla kicked him to the curb. Maybe he preferred a proven head coach after he hired a failed head coach. Neither Caslen or Tanner seems to have a knack for anything football related.
Sorry, should've said one with HC experience.

Tanner is awful at being a AD, at a big time football school, LOL

And yes I know he raises a lot of $$, or something is always the comeback, but maybe the money would of been raised anyways and maybe more if we were winning at football.

Reactions: howard13 and JGH 35
Um, Clemson is a pretty good school and they have an excellent football team.

Yet one of the few in the country who has managed his department so well that we haven't had to cut a single sport....and have been building and improving facilities non-stop since he took office. Will be interesting to see who will replace that.

Some would say it his lack of vision. If this statement holds true 3 years from now, then i will count that as a win in his corner. I suspect cuts will likely come at some point, and they we can say he didn't have the vision to move sooner.

Tanner made an incredibly huge gamble with hiring a coach that has never been a coordinator and now you are seeing the result ! No reputable coordinator is going to join this experiment gone bad and now the question is how does Tanner get a pass on this failure of epic proportions ?

Did Ray hire the guy? I would love to know the awnser to that. Who actually made the decision? I have a sense that it wasn't Ray's idea.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT