ADVERTISEMENT

Teams that impressed me in week one

R

Reddfoxx1

1. Virginia Tech. Loved the QB Braxton Burmeister. Kid reminded me of Connor Shaw in the way he moved the chains and made really good decisions on 3rd down vs a very good UNC front 7. The VT defense looked fast. They had a bunch of movement in the portal, but early results are positiv. That was a good win

2. Texas. The Sark effect. The guy is going to be great at Texas. They were much disciplined and wore down a solid, yet weaker Louisiana team. Hudson Card was efficient and Bijon Robinson will be in the heisman race. Watch out for Texas. They have the talent in place.

3. NC State. Yes, it was just South Florida (who is terrible) but the way they dominated was impressive. Like the QB Devin Leary a lot. He showed some flashes last year before a season ending injury. NC State has “recruited” well, but something always goes off the tracks. They might be the only chance for a 2nd Clemson loss. Big game at Starkville this weekend. I’m betting on them

4. Florida State. Amazing that we have to say this, but they have been brutal in the last 4-5 years. They looked fast. And well coached. It shows how hard it is to rebuild a once storied program. The McKenzie Milton story is a great one.
The talent gap between Notre Dame and FSU last year was MASSIVE. The fact that they took ND to overtime speaks volumes.

5. UCLA. Obvious one here, but for those who forgot about Chip Kelly and his run game, WATCH UCLA play. There is a trend in College football moving back to the run game, and I love it. Kelly understands leverage and blocking scheme better than almost any coach. He’s finally got the dudes to execute. They dominated LSU (especially in the 2nd half) If DTR can be above average throwing, they will be the surprise team in 2021. I’m here for it

Others.
App State
Ole Miss
Iowa

Teams that did not impress

1. The PAC 12 North. Uhg
Washington lost to Montana
WSU lost to Utah State
Oregon barely beat Fresno
Cal lost to Nevada
Oregon State lost to Purdue
Stanford got crushed by Kansas State

2. Penn State & Wisconsin - That game was bad.

3. Iowa State. Love Matt Campbell and Brock Purdy, but needing a late turnover to sneak past an FCS team isn’t a “top 10” look. Iowa State outgained Northern Iowa by 60 yards. I’m sure they were looking ahead to Iowa, but they aren’t playoff worthy.

Fun week 1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News