ADVERTISEMENT

Terminated my season ticket purchasing

BedouinCock

Jan 4, 2008
in 1994. Job and vocational change decisions and other factors led to the event. Just think about all the money I have saved since then that I would have spent on going to the games. It reduced my stress and probably extended my life and that of my wife. It was a significant decision with no lingering regrets.

in 1994. Job and vocational change decisions and other factors led to the event. Just think about all the money I have saved since then that I would have spent on going to the games. It reduced my stress and probably extended my life and that of my wife. It was a significant decision with no lingering regrets.

Yet you feel the need to post on a football message board 24 years later how your life and marriage is better without football.

Yet you feel the need to post on a football message board 24 years later how your life and marriage is better without football.

I did not say my life was "without football". I said it was better because I have saved lots of money and eliminated the stress of driving to the games, finding the extra funds for tickets, fighting traffic, etc. I still watch and follow them. I have just learned to reorder the priorities that dominated me earlier. If football was eliminated at USC, I would be be okay with that, too. On another note: How can a state that is rated near last in the nation in quality of schools for our children justify the money USC and Clemson put into the sport? Why is it we do not get as worked up about our school systems, etc like we do Muschamp and our team playing badly? I actually would like to see it the same way as Harvard.

Reactions: mirbird

Glad it worked out for you
But those years sure we have knot did great but cannot under estimate the times enjoying Saturdays with friends and family. No price on it.

Reactions: BedouinCock
I did not say my life was "without football". I said it was better because I have saved lots of money and eliminated the stress of driving to the games, finding the extra funds for tickets, fighting traffic, etc. I still watch and follow them. I have just learned to reorder the priorities that dominated me earlier. If football was eliminated at USC, I would be be okay with that, too. On another note: How can a state that is rated near last in the nation in quality of schools for our children justify the money USC and Clemson put into the sport? Why is it we do not get as worked up about our school systems, etc like we do Muschamp and our team playing badly? I actually would like to see it the same way as Harvard.

I think you're on the wrong board. This might be a better fit for you.
https://teachers.net/mentors/

Great. I will buy them up. Still no better place to be than Williams Bryce stadium on gameday. Not worried about our football program at all. Help is on the way to replace these players that dont want to really play football and need to transfer to sc state.

Whatever helps for you, but man have you missed some great games also. Carolina will give you stress and sometimes a lot of frustration. I would not trade all the good times I’ve had with my family going to the games.

All this post is missing is the violins in the background....

I did the same thing but I kicked the habit in the around 2010. I would get so upset with the bad loses, lack of motivation by players and quite frankly spending an entire Saturday driving to/from the game. I still watch the Cocks on TV - but not spending $4K+ per annum does not put me in as bad as mood. The Pizza Bowl was my last straw and me and my kids freezing our bottoms off at the horrible Legion Field in B-Ham. The Belk Bowl in many ways reminded me of the Pizza Bowl. Big heads by the coaching staff and players that took UConn for granted in the same manner as this year's edition took UVA for granted.

same here, can still go when I want and I am still a huge fan/alum and member of the Letterman's Association, supporting my own kids has been way more rewarding.

You can't watch or cheer for an education system, and you can't evaluate which one is better in a 3-hour head-to-head contest. That was easy.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Great. I will buy them up. Still no better place to be than Williams Bryce stadium on gameday. Not worried about our football program at all. Help is on the way to replace these players that dont want to really play football and need to transfer to sc state.

Who offered the guys that need to transfer to S.C. State?

You are 24 years older, Wife got every cent, and have no friends because they're all at the game, Talk about stress.

All this post is missing is the violins in the background....

Not a bad idea to bring in the violins to this board. Medical science has proven that music heals the soul and calms the emotions and reduces stress. Based on what we are reading on this board now, a calming would be helpful to some people's health.

Reactions: ddw1263
If you are still a Gamecock fan, then you have a lot of stress yet to eliminate!

Forget all the (absolutely INSANE negative sunshine pumpers) ... you did really good. If we could get all the INSANE sunshine pumpers on board to withhold their money and demand better across the board, our program would be infinitely better across the board. (The sunshine pumpers know this, but will never admit it)

You just gotta have your priorities. I don’t make it to every game but I know some of my favorite memories are from games. Ole Miss 2009, UGA 2010, Bama 2010, UGA 2012.

If you are still a Gamecock fan, then you have a lot of stress yet to eliminate!

I am still a Gamecock fan and have been since my freshman year in 1962; however, life has taught me that, at the end of the day, it is still only a game as opposed to the "game of life". It is the game of life that I am trying to focus on and that is more important and meaningful. Football is only a small speck in the scheme of life and does not merit the importance and weight we are tempted to give it. Good Day! :)

Reactions: ansoncock
Only reason I keep mine is because I'm in a section that just happened to open up and I was able to get seats that usually don't open up to silver spur donors. I am nowhere near the highest points level in my giving level either and I lucked into these and been paying for them ever since. If I gave them up and had to start over it would be YEARS and tens of thousands of dollars to get back to where I am now. If they ever cut off silver spurs for premium seating then I'll quit.

Only reason I keep mine is because I'm in a section that just happened to open up and I was able to get seats that usually don't open up to silver spur donors. I am nowhere near the highest points level in my giving level either and I lucked into these and been paying for them ever since. If I gave them up and had to start over it would be YEARS and tens of thousands of dollars to get back to where I am now. If they ever cut off silver spurs for premium seating then I'll quit.
That's a very reasonable and understandable decision. My family and business simply decided a number of years ago it wasn't what we wanted to do any longer. I'm still a fan, and will always be. I just give money now to other areas of the university.

As for the education versus football situation, it is a bit of a false argument.

The money for athletics comes from TV, donations to booster clubs and ticket revenue (football and MBB primarily). ESPN is not going to pay to film 4th graders studying math in an SC school. The people who donate to the Gamecock Club probably would not redirect those funds to voluntary give to SC schools if football did not exist. So, athletics is not stealing money from education.

All that said, I too need to remind myself of this occasionally. When I see the salaries for football coaches in our state and the gleaming Taj Mahals built to pamper athletes at USC and Clemson, it does give me pause and for a brief moment I wonder if our priorities are out of whack.

That's a very reasonable and understandable decision. My family and business simply decided a number of years ago it wasn't what we wanted to do any longer. I'm still a fan, and will always be. I just give money now to other areas of the university.
I happen to get in at a time where membership was down and basically fell into the seats I have now just by luck. I think a lot of ticket buyers are businesses so I'm waiting on my giving level to be raised substantially and then it'll be "peace, see ya!".

I gave up my season tickets around 1998 and never looked back....

Found time for my family and yard work...

I happen to get in at a time where membership was down and basically fell into the seats I have now just by luck. I think a lot of ticket buyers are businesses so I'm waiting on my giving level to be raised substantially and then it'll be "peace, see ya!".
This is a similar argument I made to NASCAR in the early 2000's. They were raising ticket prices at all races at such a rate they were pricing fans out of purchasing good tickets. They were convinced that they were going to make up the sales by providing "premium" seating and hospitality "experiences" to big money individuals and corporations.

This is a similar argument I made to NASCAR in the early 2000's. They were raising ticket prices at all races at such a rate they were pricing fans out of purchasing good tickets. They were convinced that they were going to make up the sales by providing "premium" seating and hospitality "experiences" to big money individuals and corporations.

I said many years ago that college and pro sports would get to a point of diminishing returns. The market always adjusts. Premium seats are fine but imagine a stadium with only those seats filled. No way a team survives that. NASCAR is getting what they asked for. I don’t care how big a fan a person is, asking a family of four to drop about $500 on a Saturday to go to a game against the likes of coastal Carolina or Akron is a bit much for most. And I am meaning that analogy for all teams, not just us.

Excellent! Glad it worked out so well for you. My wife and I are in the market for season tickets! You’re one less person in the seat selection pool.

We love the gameday vibe in Williams Brice, home to the best gameday atmosphere in the Country! The team is going to get better, and while Coach is building, we’ll enjoy being part of the incredible sense of community that’s alive in Gamecock Nation!

Go Cocks!

Excellent! Glad it worked out so well for you. My wife and I are in the market for season tickets! You’re one less person in the seat selection pool.

We love the gameday vibe in Williams Brice, home to the best gameday atmosphere in the Country! The team is going to get better, and while Coach is building, we’ll enjoy being part of the incredible sense of community that’s alive in Gamecock Nation!

Go Cocks!

Glad I could do something to improve someone's family life; that is rewarding.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT