ADVERTISEMENT

Texas A&M

viennacocks

Dec 19, 2011
I just read an article that said boosters are paying between $25-$30M in NIL deals to bring in the #1 recruiting class. You can Google. That is over $1M per recruit. I am sure the top players are getting between $2-5M.

The source said the effort is legal and very organized. Coaches reach out to boosters and identify the players they want along with the $$ needed. Boosters make the offer.

We all knew this was going to happen. It's a bidding war for these players. Basically free agency.

I am just wondering if it changes anything for us. We struggled to complete in the old reality where big money teams were paying players under the table. At the end of the day, not sure if this hurts or helps us.

I am just wondering if it changes anything for us. We struggled to complete in the old reality where big money teams were paying players under the table. At the end of the day, not sure if this hurts or helps us.
I don’t think it’s necessarily going to change the power structure, but it will just further establish the haves. In the old system, you presumably could pull yourself up if you recruited your butt off (see Clemson). Now that becomes less of a factor. You may have a coach who is a fantastic recruiter, but is unable to cough up the necessary dough. We will never in a million years be able to compete financially with the upper echelon programs. We have zero chance of convincing a top rated five star high school recruit to come here for peanuts when he could go somewhere else for a six figure NIL deal.

I don’t think it’s necessarily going to change the power structure, but it will just further establish the haves. In the old system, you presumably could pull yourself up if you recruited your butt off (see Clemson). Now that becomes less of a factor. You may have a coach who is a fantastic recruiter, but is unable to cough up the necessary dough. We will never in a million years be able to compete financially with the upper echelon programs. We have zero chance of convincing a top rated five star high school recruit to come here for peanuts when he could go somewhere else for a six figure NIL deal.
Agreed. It could easily get to a point where a Phil Knight type is paying out several hundred million per year for players going to Oregon. This is loose change to him.

I am wondering if we have enough big boosters that will step-up to make us competitive in the bidding war

It's going to get to the point where these boosters are going to stop paying these exorbitant sums until AFTER they see the results on the field. Or the contracts will have clauses that if the athlete doesn't live up to expectations, the athlete has to pay back the money.
I agree...I would think that winning the Natty would be more important than having the #1 recruiting class. But what do I know

I agree...I would think that winning the Natty would be more important than having the #1 recruiting class. But what do I know
It's not about that. It's about ROI. More often than not, these high dollar NIL athletes out of high school are going to end up being busts as opposed to being a Clowney. The Clowneys of the world are the exception, not the rule.

It will also get to the point that if you transfer from the school that gave you NIL money, you're going to end up having to pay it back. These boosters will start reminding these kids that they basically bought them. (Yeah...I went there.)

These big money boosters didn't get their money being stupid, and they won't continue to throw good money after bad.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
Makes you long for the days when they flew over in a crop duster and tossed out a bale of hay with money attached to it.....That was done at Texas A&M back in the Bear Bryant Junction Boys days.

Coaches are supposed to mention players names until after the Nat LOI is signed

this will Come back to bite them

Can't wait to see ESPN put up a stat during a game that shows;
Alabama - 60
USC - 15

PAYROLL (NIL)

ALABAMA - 4.5 Million
USC - 1.25 Million

Reactions: viennacocks
Meanwhile, ask people on FGF to do something simple like wear the same color shirt.

"LOL I'm not doing that!"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT