ADVERTISEMENT

Texas county named for South Carolina governor

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001
Trivia fact: There is a Texas county named for a South Carolina governor. Hamilton County (population 8,304) named for James Hamilton Jr. (1786-1857). Anyone guess why?

Trivia fact: There is a Texas county named for a South Carolina governor. Hamilton County (population 8,304) named for James Hamilton Jr. (1786-1857). Anyone guess why?

I didn't guess, just looked it up. He "gave financial aid to the Republic of Texas."

I didn't guess, just looked it up. He "gave financial aid to the Republic of Texas."
He moved to (and died) in Texas. But he gave financial aid to Texas for the purpose of expanding slave territory...soooo the name should probably be changed since someone will find it offensive.

More than one. Travis County is named for William Barrett Travis, Commander of the Alamo, and native South Carolinian.

Quite a few counties across America named for Gen. Francis Marion (including Marion County Indiana of which Indianapolis is the county seat) and another Revolutionary War hero, Sgt. Jasper. Plus a number of counties (mainly in the South) that are named for Thomas Sumter - The Gamecock!

Reactions: rogue cock
Quite a few counties across America named for Gen. Francis Marion (including Marion County Indiana of which Indianapolis is the county seat) and another Revolutionary War hero, Sgt. Jasper. Plus a number of counties (mainly in the South) that are named for Thomas Sumter - The Gamecock!

Texas has both a Marion County and a Jasper County named for those two folks. No Sumter Texas, alas.

Reactions: rogue cock
He moved to (and died) in Texas. But he gave financial aid to Texas for the purpose of expanding slave territory...soooo the name should probably be changed since someone will find it offensive.

We are gonna have to change a lot of names in Texas evidently, if that is the standard.

Gotcha. Noticed the qualification AFTER I had posted. Noticed y'all also have a Bonham, Texas named after another SC native at the Alamo.

Yes, I've been there (Bonham, TX) many times. Interesting guy. Died at the Alamo. One account has him as one of the last to die, manning a cannon in the interior of the Alamo chapel. Earlier, he went to USC when it was still called South Carolina College. Was expelled for protesting the food. Practiced law in Pendleton, SC and caned an opposing lawyer who insulted his female client. Ordered to apologize by the judge, he threatened to tweak the judge's nose and was given 90 days in jail for contempt.

So, are you saying that someone who made it a point to expand slave territory should be glorified?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT