ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you for your service to my beloved University of South Carolina, Coach Holbrook....

Rod let me say I'm not playing advocate for Chad I feel ya man, but Chad didn't throw the grand slam pitch. It does seem as if it has happened more this time that ever but was it the wrong guy out of the bullpen or just the location on the pitch? I do agree though he has lost the team somewhere and it could be time for a new face in the dugout for the programs sake. Against Clemson, I put that on Chad for ever pitching to what's his name who had the walk off. After the game he said he would pitch to him again and that got my eyes rolling.

Rod let me say I'm not playing advocate for Chad I feel ya man, but Chad didn't throw the grand slam pitch. It does seem as if it has happened more this time that ever but was it the wrong guy out of the bullpen or just the location on the pitch? I do agree though he has lost the team somewhere and it could be time for a new face in the dugout for the programs sake. Against Clemson, I put that on Chad for ever pitching to what's his name who had the walk off. After the game he said he would pitch to him again and that got my eyes rolling.
Oh spare us. Coaches get paid to win-not lose. Its called accountability and is why he makes $400k. I'd love to hear Chad say to blame the loss on Bowers and not him like you are.

Oh spare us. Coaches get paid to win-not lose. Its called accountability and is why he makes $400k. I'd love to hear Chad say to blame the loss on Bowers and not him like you are.
I agree sclaw but coaches get paid to coach it's up to the team to play the game. Hey I'm not defending Holbrooke or blaming Bowers, you got it wrong. There have been some bone headed moves by Chad and against Clemson was one of them. Bowers was struggling to find the plate and the hitter had him just where he wanted him. He knew he had to throw the fast ball over the plate,I'm not blaming Bowers I'm saying it happens too often. Hell, he didn't serve it up on purpose.

Bottom line, it all gets back to coaching. He might not throw the pitch or make the error but he is responsible for putting the right guys out there.
And how do you always know who that right guy is? You have a starter, middle relief, and a closer all of them expected to do the job but sometimes you just make the wrong call and things don't work out. You want left handers against left handers etc. but the guys gotta throw strikes. Again, I'm not defending Chad it's just I've played the game. It doesn't always work out.

And how do you always know who that right guy is? You have a starter, middle relief, and a closer all of them expected to do the job but sometimes you just make the wrong call and things don't work out. You want left handers against left handers etc. but the guys gotta throw strikes. Again, I'm not defending Chad it's just I've played the game. It doesn't always work out.
I don't think anyone expects it to always workout. I know I don't, but when you make half a mil a year to be the one to make those decisions they should workout more than they have under Holbrook

Reactions: rogue cock
He's in like Flynn. Tanner won't fire him unless it means saving his own job. And if enough other stuff goes right, he won't get that kind of pressure.

I don't think anyone expects it to always workout. I know I don't, but when you make half a mil a year to be the one to make those decisions they should workout more than they have under Holbrook
Is is Chad's call or the pitching coaches call I'm really not sure how they do it. I know if I was the head coach it would be me because it's my butt in a sling.

Is is Chad's call or the pitching coaches call I'm really not sure how they do it. I know if I was the head coach it would be me because it's my butt in a sling.
I'd imagine Chad probably lets Meyer's make that call , but that's just an assumption. And I agree, it'd be my call if I was the head man.
You know tanner had a couple rough years with calvi and fans calling for calvi to be fired. Tanner stuck with him and ultimately calvi put together a pitching staff that won our first national championship. Maybe Holbrook can figure some things out because it looks like tanner is gonna stick with him also.

It isn't that difficult. When a team wins, the coach gets a lot of credit. When a team loses, the coach gets a lot of blame. We aren't paying the 18-22 year old players $500,000 a year to win games. That's why Chad has a job. We pay him to meet or exceed reasonable expectations.

I'd imagine Chad probably lets Meyer's make that call , but that's just an assumption. And I agree, it'd be my call if I was the head man.
You know tanner had a couple rough years with calvi and fans calling for calvi to be fired. Tanner stuck with him and ultimately calvi put together a pitching staff that won our first national championship. Maybe Holbrook can figure some things out because it looks like tanner is gonna stick with him also.
Head coaches delegate I'm sure but when it comes down to game saving or possibly jobs saving situations the buck would stop with me simple because I would be the one blamed in the end anyway.

It isn't that difficult. When a team wins, the coach gets a lot of credit. When a team loses, the coach gets a lot of blame. We aren't paying the 18-22 year old players $500,000 a year to win games. That's why Chad has a job. We pay him to meet or exceed reasonable expectations.
When you're winning they love you, when you're losing they hate you, the bottom line is they always hate you. Coaching is a what have you done for me lately gig.

When you're winning they love you, when you're losing they hate you, the bottom line is they always hate you. Coaching is a what have you done for me lately gig.
Correct, especially at the higher levels. But, anyone who chooses to coach at this level knows the expectations and knows the consequences of not meeting expectations.

Seems it doesn't work out for us a lot

What makes you think it looks that way? He's not going to do or say anything until the season is over.

Yeah but that gig pays a lot of money. There is no room for constant excuses.

Nobody expects it to always work out. But good coaches get the right guy at the right time more often than not. They also can look at a decision and realize if it was a bad one. Good coaches don't fall back on how hard a game baseball is. Guess what, the other guys, they're playing the same game. When they're consistently better than you are, it's not the game's fault.

Reactions: rogue cock
What makes you think it looks that way? He's not going to do or say anything until the season is over.
He's already said something. Ray said last week on sportstalk that he believes in Holbrook. Could just be trying to give him til the end of the season but Holbrook was his guy and I believe he it means he will give him another year. Could be wrong

So, you haven't kept up with the baseball team for the last five years?

Why should this dude get paid 10x what the average fan is making? Never made sense to me. He should be paid by the win each year. How about that for getting results?

Folks want teachers to be paid based on performance of their students, but a guy with 3 of the top 50 pitchers in the nation can just coast on his 400k?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT