ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks, Zion, for not picking Clemson. Don`t understand though -he will be just another great player

psycock

Jan 20, 2001
at Duke. I know, he will likely win a NC there - hell we knocked them out last year, nobody saw that coming either. If Frank can get the talent, he can match wits with any coach out there.

It's just what a lot of kids in this generation are about unfortunately. When it comes to sports, you want the rings...but you don't necessarily want to work extremely hard to get them without being paid for your efforts.

Then the media has so much to do with it as well. Someone mentioned it in another thread...he will get a lot of media attention at Duke AND possibly play for Chip.

Reactions: jedi_mike
Or he could be like Seventh and fade into obscurity amongst all the other talent (whereas he could have been a standout talent himself here). 'Buuut anyway.....'
There are lots of things he could have done. But, he probably is thinking "why not play it safe and do what a lot of one and doners have done before. Worked for them".

I agree, UNC has not seemed to work for Seventh. Is he getting much playing time at all?

Reactions: 92Pony
One thing for sure is Zion will never experience how it feels to be a hometown hero in his native state of South Carolina.

Too late to ask English or Thornwell. Look at how many doors have opened for Lattimore. Kids don't think about life

beyond their playing days.

There are lots of things he could have done. But, he probably is thinking "why not play it safe and do what a lot of one and doners have done before. Worked for them".

I agree, UNC has not seemed to work for Seventh. Is he getting much playing time at all?

He's hurt but when he returns he's going to be buried on the depth chart. Just the way it is. But, but... he followed his dreams.

Reactions: 92Pony
It's just what a lot of kids in this generation are about unfortunately. When it comes to sports, you want the rings...but you don't necessarily want to work extremely hard to get them without being paid for your efforts.

Then the media has so much to do with it as well. Someone mentioned it in another thread...he will get a lot of media attention at Duke AND possibly play for Chip.
Wanting Championships hasn’t always been the motivator in sports back in the day? Kids just played for fun not to win? I don’t think that’s singular to this generation. And being paid for efforts? In the 80s houses and cars were being given away like nothing. Once again it’s not another “these kids nowadays” thing it’s a sports thing in general

Maybe he doesn't want to be the star of his team like he was in HS. Maybe he just wants to do his one year like he is required to and then move on.

This kid is focused on the NBA. He is of the opinion, probably because of K's experience with NBA players in the Olympics, that K will give him the best prep during his one semester in school to get ready for the league. If you don't believe me, check out Zion's statement that he liked what K could do to help him "grow his brand". Frank probably told him we'd be glad to have him but he wasn't about building brands or focusing on getting guys to the League. Zion could play in the NBA right now, but he HAS to play a year of college ball. It is what it is.

Wanting Championships hasn’t always been the motivator in sports back in the day? Kids just played for fun not to win? I don’t think that’s singular to this generation. And being paid for efforts? In the 80s houses and cars were being given away like nothing. Once again it’s not another “these kids nowadays” thing it’s a sports thing in general

It's more along the lines of putting in the work. Kids go to schools where they can win immediately versus trying to contribute over a 4-year period and seeing the fruits of labor.

Yes, wanting to win is the goal but how and to what extent? It depends on your perpective. Thornwell wanted to build something here at his home state school that was NEVER done and it paid off for him. However some players like Carmelo, Jahlil Okafor, and Anthony Davis did their one year and bounced. Davis and Okafor went to high school in Chicago and went elsewhere to play.

You could even scratch Carmelo because he is actually from New York, so he probably got the best of both worlds. (Playing for your home state school, winning a Chip AND doing it in one year).

Before Elton Brand, Duke had players who stayed and put in work to win. Players like Hurley, Grant Hill, Shane Battier and Laettner played four years because of being team oriented. Even Peyton Manning stayed his senior year when he could have left. Now, unfortunately for him Tennessee won the Chip the following year. Tee Martin should thank Peyton (if he hasn't already) to some extent on building that squad over the course of four years.

It's more along the lines of putting in the work. Kids go to schools where they can win immediately versus trying to contribute over a 4-year period and seeing the fruits of labor.

Before Elton Brand, Duke had players who stayed and put in work to win. Players like Hurley, Grant Hill, Shane Battier and Laettner played four years because of being team oriented. Even Peyton Manning stayed his senior year when he could have left. Now, unfortunately for him Tennessee won the Chip the following year. Tee Martin should thank Peyton (if he hasn't already) to some extent on building that squad over the course of four years.

I'm no Duke fan and would have loved to see Zion at USC. But this doesn't make much sense. Are you saying Zion isn't willing to put in the work to win? You don't get as good as he is without putting in a ton of work, and Coach K isn't the kind of coach that lets his players coast. He's gonna work hard wherever he goes. He'll have a better supporting cast at Duke than elsewhere, but that doesn't mean he isn't going to be busting his butt.

The reason Hurley, Hill, and Laettner didn't go pro is because it wasn't as common in 1991 as it is now. Also, there's a whole lot more money involved now. Also, there's the one and done rule that prevents players from going straight to the NBA from college. And as good as Hurley and Laettner were at the college level, they weren't good enough to be one and dones (even though that wasn't a thing back then).

No one knocks on baseball players who go straight to the minors from high school. I don't know why there's a double standard for basketball. People of any age do what's best for themselves. That's always been the case. Nothing wrong with wanting to make honest money that's there for the taking.

I'm no Duke fan and would have loved to see Zion at USC. But this doesn't make much sense. Are you saying Zion isn't willing to put in the work to win? You don't get as good as he is without putting in a ton of work, and Coach K isn't the kind of coach that lets his players coast. He's gonna work hard wherever he goes. He'll have a better supporting cast at Duke than elsewhere, but that doesn't mean he isn't going to be busting his butt.

The reason Hurley, Hill, and Laettner didn't go pro is because it wasn't as common in 1991 as it is now. Also, there's a whole lot more money involved now. Also, there's the one and done rule that prevents players from going straight to the NBA from college. And as good as Hurley and Laettner were at the college level, they weren't good enough to be one and dones (even though that wasn't a thing back then).

No one knocks on baseball players who go straight to the minors from high school. I don't know why there's a double standard for basketball. People of any age do what's best for themselves. That's always been the case. Nothing wrong with wanting to make honest money that's there for the taking.

I don't know Zion personally, but I'm sure he has put in work to improve his game. After all, he didn't get ranked as high as he did by just performing flashy dunks.

My point is about the mindset we have created. You already pointed it out...back in the 90s it wasn't done too often, so you continued to work on your game at whatever level and then moved on to the next level. Also, because he was great in high school...will that transition to his one year in college and then to the NBA? We don't know yet, but he is already labeled one and done which is something we have created for the athletes.

Yes, wanting to win is the goal but how and to what extent? It depends on your perpective. Thornwell wanted to build something here at his home state school that was NEVER done and it paid off for him. However some players like Carmelo, Jahlil Okafor, and Anthony Davis did their one year and bounced. Davis and Okafor went to high school in Chicago and went elsewhere to play.

You could even scratch Carmelo because he is actually from New York, so he probably got the best of both worlds. (Playing for your home state school, winning a Chip AND doing it in one year).

IIRC, Thornwell wanted to go to UNC and it was Roy Williams who recommended that he play for Martin.

Reactions: VirgilCaine

He’s hurt.

Yeah. Just like Seventh at UNC Zion will just be another hotshot warming the bench at Duke. Duke does not need him USC did. You would think he would have gone to school on what happened to Seventh.

Maybe the kid didn't want the pressure that would have come on him playing at either USC or Clemson. If he went to one of these 2 schools the amount of pressure on him to win immediately would have been unbearable to most kids. At Duke he will be just another superstar with little amount of pressure. Plus playing for Coach K doesn't suck. My only question is when will the state schools be able to keep the home grown talent?

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Maybe the kid didn't want the pressure that would have come on him playing at either USC or Clemson. If he went to one of these 2 schools the amount of pressure on him to win immediately would have been unbearable to most kids. At Duke he will be just another superstar with little amount of pressure. Plus playing for Coach K doesn't suck. My only question is when will the state schools be able to keep the home grown talent?

With the way fans at both schools can turn on one of their own after a bad night on the court, I can't say I'd blame anyone in his situation.

My only question is when will the state schools be able to keep the home grown talent?[/QUOTE]

It seams to work out when they do.

at Duke. I know, he will likely win a NC there - hell we knocked them out last year, nobody saw that coming either. If Frank can get the talent, he can match wits with any coach out there.
Zion is a good kid becoming a man right in front of us. I, too, wish we can keep the top talent here in SC but the talent is slippin' away. Look at how good USC got when the top talent stay here in football (Gilmore, Lattimore, Shaw, Clowney, etc)
Coach Martin is a gem and glad to have him. We would dominate in the top 20 if we had top tier talent!! We just need more players... Recruit recruit recruit... USC should step up their game even higher on the recruiting level of support. I would suggest to even double the recruiting staff to keep up! Show the 'young guns' you are committed. It is quicker to turn around a basketball program than a football program (15 VS 85 schollies)

Duke got the top 1st, 2nd and 3rd guys in the nation! They are LOADED! Gesh... and even more when you look further down at the rankings!
Glad to have Bowen coming and I wish Zion well. He is a beast and a strong hard worker. He will do well.

Recruit, recruit, recruit is the key!

I find it funny that people are confused why he picked Duke. It's one of the premier programs in the country, and they get you ready to play in the NBA quickly. Seems pretty simple to me, but what do I know?

Making a career in professional basketball is almost impossible except for only a select few. Most young guys think they have the potential and talent to do just that but for 99.5% it does not work out. Need to have a plan to fall back on. Where do you go after you get hurt or fail in your attempt to be successful in that world? A lot get to go back to their home states where they are well known and have some celebrity. I think no one around this kid thought he would do anything but be successful in the NBA. Will be tough coming back to SC and trying rebuild himself if he ever does fail. Here's hoping things work out for him!

Making a career in professional basketball is almost impossible except for only a select few. Most young guys think they have the potential and talent to do just that but for 99.5% it does not work out. Need to have a plan to fall back on. Where do you go after you get hurt or fail in your attempt to be successful in that world? A lot get to go back to their home states where they are well known and have some celebrity. I think no one around this kid thought he would do anything but be successful in the NBA. Will be tough coming back to SC and trying rebuild himself if he ever does fail. Here's hoping things work out for him!

I mean, yeah, it's extremely hard to make it to the NBA, but Zion Williamson has by all credible accounts a realistic chance of making it. No guarantees on anything, but this isn't the case of a good not great high school basketball player getting told by some know-nothings that he is the next Lebron James and letting it get to his head. Without the one and done rule, college wouldn't even be in the cards for him. Of every high school basketball player in the country, he is one of the 2 or 3 most likely to make it to the NBA, which is pretty rare air.

That said, worst case scenario and he doesn't make the NBA, he still has plenty of options. Foreign ball is certainly realistic for him. And if he ends up being not good enough to play any pro ball (or, worse, has a career ending injury), he'll still likely end up with a degree from a good school.

He won't have to "rebuild" himself if he does choose to come back to South Carolina. He'll miss out on doing local car and radio commercials like some Carolina and Clemson alums do when their pro careers don't pan out, but if going to Duke is someone's worst decision in life, well, they've had a good life.

Well....if he fails to make it, a Duke education isn't a bad place to start a career.

With the way fans at both schools can turn on one of their own after a bad night on the court, I can't say I'd blame anyone in his situation.

Get real, I know it happens here and I hate as much as you, but to think this doesn't happen at ever other power 5 school is just plain naive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT