ADVERTISEMENT

That should be it for Warlock. Lost to Vandy(6-21, 1-13) at home. Vandy was 0-33 in Knoxville before

It is pretty amazing, with all the talent they have brought into the program over the last 3 cycles - they even dismissed a 5* in Anastayzia Hayes, and still have a ton of 5-stars and McDs left to work with.

But there seems to be a huge disconnect between the staff and the players, like they didn't recruit properly for good fits to what they want the players to do, or they just do not know how to coach them or put them into positions for success. All Warlick seems to do is talk about giving "effort", "rebounding", and playing defense. But her staff doesn't do a good job of teaching giving good effort, or playing good defense. They do rebound well, and have often been among the top rebounding teams in the SEC during Warlick's time.

But the players always seem to "zone out" Warlick and the staff, like they lose trust that the staff know what they are doing, or just get tired of losing.

The team isn't God-awful: they have reached the Elite Eight and won some SEC titles under Warlick, although it's been a while now. If the team really tries to give 40 minutes of hard effort, they would be a regular 20+ win team every year. Perhaps more, if the staff knew how to develop the players.

But every year it looks like the players need to bring whatever success and play-making with them from high school, if they are ever going to win in great fashion at UTjr. All Holly can do in post-game pressers is keep saying "I don't know", "I don't know", " I don't have any answers for you". That can't be very re-assuring to the fanbase.

I hope Warlick stays at UTjr. for as long as possible, because with the talent that program can attract, if they ever get a head coach that's somewhat competent, they could rise back up and be dominant again. And I want South Carolina to hold that spot. But losing games like this, Holly can't have much of a future there....

I don't think either of those will be the next Lady Vol's coach.

Who do you think they hire? They have to stay under the Pat Summit tree! It won't be Matthew Mitchell. Tennessee wants someone they think can beat Coach Staley and Slick Vic Schaefer!

I think Kara Lawson is a great basketball mind! Nikki McCray is the real deal. Granted her tenure as HBC is very short. But she is tons better than Holly. Plus McCray is a great talent evaluator.

Reactions: DarkCock
Who do you think they hire? They have to stay under the Pat Summit tree! It won't be Matthew Mitchell. Tennessee wants someone they think can beat Coach Staley and Slick Vic Schaefer!

I think Kara Lawson is a great basketball mind! Nikki McCray is the real deal. Granted her tenure as HBC is very short. But she is tons better than Holly. Plus McCray is a great talent evaluator.
I agree that Lawson is a great BB mind but she has little to no coaching experience. Plus she already has a sweet gig right where she is.

I also agree that Nikki is the real deal and that she is tons better than Holly, although that is not much of a compliment. You or I would be better than Warlick. I believe Nikki would take the job but I believe UT wants a bigger name.

"Slick Vic." LOL. I believe he would leave State in a heartbeat but is waiting on Blair to retire if he hasn't burned bridges with A&M over the Howard situation.

Just my opinion but if Fulmer is smart (debatable) he forgets the tree and goes after one of the Oregon coachs, the NC State coach, the Miami coach or possibly the assistant at ND. I believe her name is Ivy.

They will go after Dawn.

They will go after Dawn.
I think they may ask Dawn through back channels but highly doubtful Dawn would want to leave SC for a variety of reasons. If they wanted Dawn should have gone after her before A'ja committed.

I agree that Lawson is a great BB mind but she has little to no coaching experience. Plus she already has a sweet gig right where she is.

I also agree that Nikki is the real deal and that she is tons better than Holly, although that is not much of a compliment. You or I would be better than Warlick. I believe Nikki would take the job but I believe UT wants a bigger name.

"Slick Vic." LOL. I believe he would leave State in a heartbeat but is waiting on Blair to retire if he hasn't burned bridges with A&M over the Howard situation.

Just my opinion but if Fulmer is smart (debatable) he forgets the tree and goes after one of the Oregon coachs, the NC State coach, the Miami coach or possibly the assistant at ND. I believe her name is Ivy.

The NCSt coach is older than dirt. The Miami coach is a superstar in the making. If she recruits better watch out. Both Oregon coaches are male. Tennessee will hire a woman. Pat Summit was furious when men had a easier time getting HBC jobs in WBB. One coach I hope they don't hire is Amanda Butler at Clemons. She is the real deal. She didn't recruit at Florida for some reason. But she would roll at Tenn. But I suspect she might not want the wars with Coach Staley and Schaefer.

They will go after Dawn.

Coach Staley will not leave USC. Tenn can't afford her anyway. The school to worry about is Texas. Once they fire that idiot Karen Aston, they'll offer Dawn a boatload of cash!

The NCSt coach is older than dirt. The Miami coach is a superstar in the making. If she recruits better watch out. Both Oregon coaches are male. Tennessee will hire a woman. Pat Summit was furious when men had a easier time getting HBC jobs in WBB. One coach I hope they don't hire is Amanda Butler at Clemons. She is the real deal. She didn't recruit at Florida for some reason. But she would roll at Tenn. But I suspect she might not want the wars with Coach Staley and Schaefer.
Wes Moore is only 61. Would be a mistake to limit their options to female candidates only. You think Butler prefers the wars with McGraw and Walz? At least she would find it easier to recruit to UT than to Clemson.

If Fulmer was smart he would after Dawn but I don't think she would leave USC.

Reactions: GarnetGhost
To the OP: Nah, according to some fans on this forum the recipe for success is to just wait it out another 4-8 years. She's clearly about to the corner. Can't you see that???

Wes Moore is only 61. Would be a mistake to limit their options to female candidates only. You think Butler prefers the wars with McGraw and Walz? At least she would find it easier to recruit to UT than to Clemson.

Wes Moore is a Kay Yow protege. He will not leave NCSt. 61 is old for a male coach to start over at a new school! Finally Tennessee WBB exists to honor Pat Summit! Fulmer will not dare step out of that line.

Reactions: winloseortie
Yeah, Dawn didn't go when her alma mater came calling. What elements for being a national power at South Carolina are missing for Staley? She's one of the top 5 highest-paid WBB head coaches in the nation, the fanbase leads the nations annually in home average attendance, her program already plays in one of the best WCBB conferences in the nation, her staff is capable of pulling #1 and top 5 recruiting classes, and her program has already shown it can compete for conference titles and national titles.

What is missing, that some other program can sell to entice her to leave here and go there, and start it all over again? More money? If Dawn was doing all this for just the money, she would've gone far down that path already by now....

What Tennessee needs to do, is get a quality Head Coach. They don't need to get someone who's already made themselves a HOF career elsewhere. They don't need to bring in a former Lady Vol.

What they need is a proven COACH, someone who may be young-ish, who might not necessarily have coached at a power 5 conference program, but who has shown the ability to build a disciplined and successful WCBB program at least at the Division I level. Someone who has taken their program to several NCAATs and won their conference. Someone who knows how to teach X's and O's, and inspire his/her players to fight and compete.

Because they will recruit to UTjr. That program will recruit for itself as long as the staff under that coach aren't moronic buffoons on the recruiting trail. The talent hasn't been the issue, it's the inability of Warlick to kick her team's butts and get them to give 100% for 40 minutes a game, and the inability of her staff to teach sound execution on the floor.

Get a coach and staff that knows how to do that, and soon the talent will be beating down UTjr.'s door to play for them, and the program will be healthy again....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT