ADVERTISEMENT

The ACC Reigns

Go get a life fornicator. Your program is very good right now. Your week in and week out competition is PATHETIC. Moo U. is a football school in a conference dominated by basketball schools. Damn, having to play WF, BC, and others must be grinding? CU has the biggest stadium, with the most fans, and best facilities in the acc. USC on the other hand has, at best, the seventh largest stadium in the SEC, with good fans, and better facilities than the past. Kow Kollege is set up for success in that scenario. If you didn't dominate most of the sisters of the poor during football season, then something is amiss!

For example, UNC held their Spring Game this past Saturday on a beautiful day, with a new coach at the helm! Official attendance was below 2,000. You cannot make that shit up! There in lies the difference in what CU faces vs. what Carolina faces during the season. GFY

It rained off and on all day in the Triangle on Saturday. That being said, football doesn’t move the needle in chapel hill. Your other parts about the ACC in football really loses its point when you get dominated by middling Virginia in the Belk bowl.

Reactions: ChickenH8R
It rained off and on all day in the Triangle on Saturday. That being said, football doesn’t move the needle in chapel hill. Your other parts about the ACC in football really loses its point when you get dominated by middling Virginia in the Belk bowl.

VERY disappointing loss, as bad as I’ve seen. One game does not tell all. USC has fared well vs most acc schools in the last fifteen- twenty years. Beat NCST and UNC several times, Clemson seven or eight times, UVA at least once. Lost to FSU in the Peach Bowl.

Historically there is no comparison between acc and SEC football programs. The acc has two NC in the last thirty years,

Bama, AU, UT, UF, LSU all have NC in that time span. UF and Bams multiple times. Stadium size, tradition, excitement, pomp and circumstance all trump the acc as a whole in football. I’ve been to WF, DU, UNC, NCST multiple times over the years when Carolina played at those places. I’ve been to UGA and UF away games. There just isn’t any comparison. Wait till basketball season for most acc schools.

^ and three of the last six. And I’m not saying acc>sec, just that it’s not some joke that so many on here make it out to be. Same could be said to an acc fan when they crack on sec basketball.

I don't think you will find any Clemson fans who would seriously argue that the ACC is on par with the SEC in football. However, the current ACC teams have far more than 2 National Championships in the last 30 years as someone claimed. In recent years, since FSU ended the long SEC run in 2013, the ACC has more Championships than any other conference including the SEC.

Also, if you compare the schedule strength over the last 5 years or so, you will find that Clemson regular season schedule has been far tougher than UofSC every year until this year when they were comparable (source teamrankings.com).

Again, the ACC is not equal to the SEC but like someone else stated, it isn't the joke some here make it out to be.

Go get a life fornicator. Your program is very good right now. Your week in and week out competition is PATHETIC. Moo U. is a football school in a conference dominated by basketball schools. Damn, having to play WF, BC, and others must be grinding? CU has the biggest stadium, with the most fans, and best facilities in the acc. USC on the other hand has, at best, the seventh largest stadium in the SEC, with good fans, and better facilities than the past. Kow Kollege is set up for success in that scenario. If you didn't dominate most of the sisters of the poor during football season, then something is amiss!

For example, UNC held their Spring Game this past Saturday on a beautiful day, with a new coach at the helm! Official attendance was below 2,000. You cannot make that shit up! There in lies the difference in what CU faces vs. what Carolina faces during the season. GFY
UNC was also 2-9 last year. I don't care who it is, I probably wouldn't go either.

VERY disappointing loss, as bad as I’ve seen. One game does not tell all. USC has fared well vs most acc schools in the last fifteen- twenty years. Beat NCST and UNC several times, Clemson seven or eight times, UVA at least once. Lost to FSU in the Peach Bowl.

Historically there is no comparison between acc and SEC football programs. The acc has two NC in the last thirty years,

Bama, AU, UT, UF, LSU all have NC in that time span. UF and Bams multiple times. Stadium size, tradition, excitement, pomp and circumstance all trump the acc as a whole in football. I’ve been to WF, DU, UNC, NCST multiple times over the years when Carolina played at those places. I’ve been to UGA and UF away games. There just isn’t any comparison. Wait till basketball season for most acc schools.
And the irony is that the ACC was founded primarily with football in mind.

I don’t think the ACC needs but one team in football. By and large, that’s all they had from 1992-2011ish with FSU, but they had Diddy Bowden. Couple his love for a sound byte, and teams that were always exciting, not to mention 14? straight top 5 finishes, and it was enough to carry the conference, and still attract new members, no matter how poorly they fit.....(like Mizzou, and those dbags from aTm). They couldn’t be launching their network at a better time. As for Clemson, we all hate it, but you know Dabo is Bowden II, he’s won more MNC’s in less time, and they are exciting, and worst of all he plays the media even more. And the media exposure is a million times greater than in Bowden’s heyday. The second worst part is, there is nothing that is stopping that train right now. They are going to tie that record for top 10 finishes if all of us don’t step it up, big time. Our ad, coaches, players have their work cut out for them.

Some say our AD is not responsible for the success of any of our teams. What a cool gig. You're Director of Athletics, make a boatload of dough, yet shouldn't be judged on the success or failure of your teams. I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, this is why we have pretty much stunk since RT replaced Eric Hyman.

Reactions: jonesz21
CU has arguably the best football program in the country, proven on the field. However, CU is hardly tested in at least five to seven games each season. CU is very good, most of the acc not so much, not CU’s fault or responsibility. There is no way CU’s schedule is tougher than USC’s year in and year out. Although UT and UF have been down some, UK and TA&M have been up. UGA is top 5-7 almost every year. FSU is way down, didn’t even qualify for a bowl? NCST was pretty much demolished by The Aggie’s in the Gator Bowl, South Carolina pretty much sucked in Charlotte.

BC, WF, NCST, PITT, UNC, are decent to awful. UVA decent, and for at least one Saturday much better than The Gamecocks.

CU was basically tested three regular season games in 2018. At College Station, home against Syracuse and USC, and we had no defense. No one else was even competitive if my memory serves me well. The acc isn’t as taxing, as physical, or exciting. Having said all that, it has worked to CU’s advantage and resulted in two NC recently.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
2010s AP Rankings Greatest Teams
These rankings are created according to the CFN scoring system –this isn’t the official AP ranking of its all-time greatest teams.

Rank Team Points Last Year
1 Alabama 181 1
2 Ohio State 146 2
3 Oklahoma 126 6
4 Clemson 121 7
5 Stanford 118 4
6 Oregon 117 3
7 Florida State 104 5
8 Michigan St 101 8
9 LSU 97 9
10 TCU 95 10
11 Wisconsin 93 11
12 Oklahoma St 78 12
13 Auburn 71 16
14 USC 70 15
15 Georgia 69 19
16 South Carolina 61 13
T17 Baylor 58 14
T17 Notre Dame 58 20
19 Boise State 57 17
20 Miss State 49 21
21 Michigan 46 18
T22 UCF 41 32
T22 Missouri 41 22
24 Penn State 37 33
25 Texas A&M 36 23
Others Receiving Votes
26 Arkansas 35 26
T27 Kansas State 33 27
T27 Washington 33 27
30 Louisville 31 26
31 Florida 30 27
32 Virginia Tech 27 30
T33 Houston 26 28
T33 UCLA 26 28
35 Northwestern 21 50
T36 Arizona State 19 33
T36 Miami 19 52
38 Georgia Tech 18 36
T39 Iowa 17 37
T39 Utah 17 37
41 West Virginia 17 33
42 Nevada 15 39
43 South Florida 12 49
T44 North Carolina 11 41
T44 Western Mich 11 41
46 Utah State 10 43
T47 Colorado 9 T45
T47 Nebraska 9 T45
T47 Ole Miss 9 44
T47 Tennessee 9 44
51 Navy 8 48
T52 Arizona 7 49
T52 Texas 7 49
T54 Oregon State 6 52
T54 Southern Miss 6 52
T56 San Jose State 5 55
T56 Vanderbilt 5 55
T58 N.C. State 4 63
T58 Northern Illinois 4 57
T60 Duke 3 58
T60 Marshall 3 58
T60 Maryland 3 58
T63 Memphis 2 63
T63 Tulsa 2 61
T63 WKU 2 61
T66 Cincinnati 1 63
T66 SDSU 1 63

Reactions: Jpcooper
I hate it, but there it is. National Championship in the two biggest sports.
This is a fact, King, and I think that both of us have regretted on this forum Carolina's departure from the ACC as we remember the great rivalries...at least I do...such as the games in the fieldhouse.
Now I am reluctantly accepting playing in the SEC, and it appears that it is profitable for us given the nice tv revenue these days. Besides, we weren't very good when we were in the ACC. In fact about the same as we are now in the SEC.
We had a miraculous few seasons with a first quality coach with Spurrier in the SEC experience just as we had a few incredible seasons in the ACC with another special New Yorker named Frank McGuire. Otherwise...heartrending losses the order of the day.

Reactions: Jpcooper
This is a fact, King, and I think that both of us have regretted on this forum Carolina's departure from the ACC as we remember the great rivalries...at least I do...such as the games in the fieldhouse.
Now I am reluctantly accepting playing in the SEC, and it appears that it is profitable for us given the nice tv revenue these days. Besides, we weren't very good when we were in the ACC. In fact about the same as we are now in the SEC.
We had a miraculous few seasons with a first quality coach with Spurrier in the SEC experience just as we had a few incredible seasons in the ACC with another special New Yorker named Frank McGuire. Otherwise...heartrending losses the order of the day.
We won championships in the biggest two sports the last year we were in it. We had it coming.

The historic 1969 South Carolina Gamecocks football team represented the University of South Carolina during the 1969 NCAA University Division football season. Led by fourth-year head coach Paul Dietzel, the Gamecocks won the Atlantic Coast Conference(ACC) championship, which remains their only conference championship in history. They were defeated by West Virginia in the Peach Bowl and finished with a record of 7-4. They played their home games at Carolina Stadium.

Yep, no one can take that away.

half a century ago

It is what it is, and we still are top fifteen in attendance, have some of the best facilities around, and other things. Go figure? I doubt this would, or has, occurred in many other places! Loyal or stupid, I leave that up to others. I’ve been going since 1967 when my Dad started taking me. Went to the Peach Bowl in 1969 and sat in a cold deluge of rain. My white underwear were dyed blue by the jeans I had on. Graduated in 1982, and am in my 37th year in the Gamecock Club and season ticket holder. I dance with the one I ‘brung’ to the dance so to speak.

My .02 worth...

Reactions: Heyward1
It is what it is, and we still are top fifteen in attendance, have some of the best facilities around, and other things. Go figure? I doubt this would, or has, occurred in many other places! Loyal or stupid, I leave that up to others. I’ve been going since 1967 when my Dad started taking me. Went to the Peach Bowl in 1969 and sat in a cold deluge of rain. My white underwear were dyed blue by the jeans I had on. Graduated in 1982, and am in my 37th year in the Gamecock Club and season ticket holder. I dance with the one I ‘brung’ to the dance so to speak.

My .02 worth...

The ugly one is the nice one.

From 81 to 18, The ACC and SEC each have 13 National Championships from current members. We're talking about the current state of the conferences, right? The ACC is definitely a basketball conference. There are some schools in the ACC that have a good fanbase, as well. Blacksburg is a crazy place to be on a Thursday night. FSU sucks now (just like UF sucked a few years ago, or Tenn sucks now), but their atmosphere is awesome. I'm not trying to compare Clemson to Vandy or Arkansas as far as fan enthusiasm goes. Much like you wouldn't try to compare Wake or Duke to Bama or LSU. That would just be a dumb comparison. The SEC has, overall, a much higher emphasis on football for sure. I don't think there's an argument there. The stadium capacity alone has to be close to double that of the ACC's average capacity.
So, yes. The SEC is more of a football conference. Which makes it that much sweeter when we win it all. ;)

The historic 1969 South Carolina Gamecocks football team represented the University of South Carolina during the 1969 NCAA University Division football season. Led by fourth-year head coach Paul Dietzel, the Gamecocks won the Atlantic Coast Conference(ACC) championship, which remains their only conference championship in history. They were defeated by West Virginia in the Peach Bowl and finished with a record of 7-4. They played their home games at Carolina Stadium.

There are some old guys around Columbia with 1965 ACC championship rings. They won the games on the field and it wasn’t their fault that a few players were ineligible. It was a result of USC being one of the first schools to screen admissions with the SAT (as a way to slow integration, by the way).

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Tony Bennett proves you don’t have to be a screaming, cursing wild man to coach great defense and win it all.

Maybe Tony is taking some downers before each game. Or, maybe he is not strung as tightly as Bobby Knight. Coaches have different styles. Doesn’t make sense not to judge him by his progress no matter his style.

Do you understand how pathetic that sounds? Blaming Clempsun for the poor showing at a spring game in chapel hill while Clempsun showed 60K fans for theirs and has whupped us 5 straight?

Had we stayed in the ACC, I'm guessing that McGuire would have coached as long as he actually did, but would have retired on his own rather than having been forced out. He would have been succeeded by Don Walsh, who left USC in the midst of the athletic department and board of trustees turmoil of the mid 70s.. We would have remained competitive in the league much like Maryland did over the decades. Many recruits would have considered attending USC who wanted to play in the ACC who as it turned out never even considered us.. Note to FGF readers: Roche and Owens attended USC because we were an ACC school.

Reactions: king ward
What two sports? All I know is basketball. If you mean for football to be the other, Wake Forest won the 1970 ACC football championship.
That is correct. We won it in football in 1969, basketball in 1971. But that being said, when is the last time we won the SEC football championship? We didn't even come close the year we went to Atlanta.

That is correct. We won it in football in 1969, basketball in 1971. But that being said, when is the last time we won the SEC football championship? We didn't even come close the year we went to Atlanta.
I hope that things will change for the better some day, but seems to me that we were a better fit in the ACC. Clemson is a natural fit in the SEC, and I had thought for a long time that they had made a mistake not to follow us there.
Shows how much I knew at the time. Their success is beyond anyone's expectations, ever. I thought that that Florida State would make their football seasons a miserable existence.

I hope that things will change for the better some day, but seems to me that we were a better fit in the ACC. Clemson is a natural fit in the SEC, and I had thought for a long time that they had made a mistake not to follow us there.
Shows how much I knew at the time. Their success is beyond anyone's expectations, ever. I thought that that Florida State would make their football seasons a miserable existence.
I don't recall hearing of Clemron ever discussing membership with the SEC.

Indicative of the lack of overall athletic success USC has had since (foolishly, IMO) leaving the ACC.

Past is past, spilled milk, etc.

It’s 2019, not 1969. What is your prescription for grabbing the brass ring from this moment forward?

I too am nostalgic for old ACC days, which is odd as I wasn’t born then. But the SEC is home now, and we need a modern plan to make it work in the 21st century.

I don't recall hearing of Clemron ever discussing membership with the SEC.
As far as I know they never have. Just my opinion that they would be a good fit for the league as they could compete with the big boys. We have not done so with the exception of the Spurrier and Tanner years. I miss the great rivalries we had with the North Carolina teams in the ACC.

Who gives a chit bout that. We kick azz in women’s basketball Clemson will never do anything in WBB

Past is past, spilled milk, etc.

It’s 2019, not 1969. What is your prescription for grabbing the brass ring from this moment forward?

I too am nostalgic for old ACC days, which is odd as I wasn’t born then. But the SEC is home now, and we need a modern plan to make it work in the 21st century.
Gotta agree. Just win, Baby. We ain't trying hard enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT