Gamecock Football

✔@GamecockFB

To all past, present, and future Gamecocks:

Welcome home
1f919.png

10:24 PM - Jan 13, 2019

1,854 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

South Carolina makes the biggest jump in our Top 25 for 2019 after debuting at No. 22 last fall with its impressive indoor practice facility. Up next in Columbia and set to open in the next couple of weeks, the Gamecocks' 110,000-square foot, $50 million Cyndi and Kenneth Long Family Football Operations Center will be the new front porch for Carolina Football. According to USC, the main entrance into the building opens into a two-story lobby with a 20-foot high "Block C" logo. The lobby will include a display of Georgia Rogers' Heisman Trophy and displays for bowl trophies.

Several interactive screens throughout the lobby of the ops center will document the history of the the program. South Carolina's "Build Your Legacy" corridor connects all of the main spaces on the first floor from the player entry to the locker room to the training room to the weight room. The Legacy corridor will feature retired jerseys, record holders, national award winners and academic accolades and statistics. The player entry area includes an interactive NFL display with information about past and current players in the pros. The primary nutrition area located at the heart of the building allows for constant interaction with athletes and staff for nutritional guidance. The 20,000-square foot, two-story weight room includes custom weight racks and a variety of strength training equipment. There's a recording studio, too.

View image on Twitter

E.Juice@1ericgray

GAMECOCK NATION
1f414.png
1f919-1f3fe.png

3:47 PM - Dec 8, 2018

324 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Judging by this early glimpse of the state-of-the-art locker room from prospect Eric Gray, the Gamecocks' digs are jaw-dropping. The players lounge located within the locker room includes TVs and video game areas, a 15-seat movie theater with reclining seats and surround sound, a video arcade room and the Darius Rucker sound studio. Also, within the locker room is a barbershop - "Spur-cuts."

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...lemson-Oklahoma-Texas-126107528/#126107528_13

Reactions: ArniePalmies
Looking at that thing makes me realize how out of minds we are about amateur athletics. I'm sorry, in an environment where the state is divesting from education and tuition is rising much faster than inflation, that building is obscene.
I hear you and can agree to an extent but I also think that its OK to put the money back into the program that generated the income in the first place.
Seeing all of these facilities does sort of taint my "ignorant by choice" view of the amateur athletic scene....these buildings are insane

Crawford published this ranking well before the new ops building was finished at USC. I don't see how he can make a judgement call sight-unseen. That also appears to be the case with upgrades at other schools that are still only planned (e.g. Texas). It's possible he has never actually been in any of these buildings.

This is a meaningless highly-subjective and likely highly-biased ranking.

Happy with 6th runner up!!! Typical coot!!!

Hey you have to start making progress somewhere was my point, Counting the interim year, Dabo lost the Belk bowl (called Meineke then) in his 3rd year as well, it was his 5th year where they finished # 7 in the coaching poll, it was year 9 for him where they finished # 1.

So yes a 2020 # 7 final ranking will be progress to me

I just hope it doesn't quit in the middle of the season.
The guy you're talking about is responsible for all our greatest accomplishments in football, including your avatar pic. I'm not sure I get the point of your joke

Damned if they do damned if they don't.....the building looks great. They could bring the Taj Mahal and drop it in that spot and some of y'all would not like it. I'll be glad when we have something serious to talk about.

Reactions: Athenscock1
Damned if they do damned if they don't.....the building looks great. They could bring the Taj Mahal and drop it in that spot and some of y'all would not like it. I'll be glad when we have something serious to talk about.
That would be when we reach double-digit wins, including one over UPC.

Crawford published this ranking well before the new ops building was finished at USC. I don't see how he can make a judgement call sight-unseen. That also appears to be the case with upgrades at other schools that are still only planned (e.g. Texas). It's possible he has never actually been in any of these buildings.

Exactly! I read this months ago. Dont you actually have to see what you talking about?

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo

This is the updated list. We were ranked in the 20s or so in the prior list.

Either way, once you are getting into the top 10 you are likely splitting hairs. The main point is that we are atleast in the conversation for some of the top facilities in the country. Who is 1-10 is subjective. Recruits will notice. Hopefully our coaches will capitalize, and we will see the results translate to the field!

By the way, some of our rivals are already noticing...When did UF care so much about what we are doing??

"Once the planned improvements are in place, hopefully we can pull ahead of the likes of Kentucky and south Carolina...."

"Isn’t every facility that South Carolina has off campus?

I’m wondering, too, which have enormous tax payer subsidies and which are virtually self/booster financed?"

Yes. The USCe stadium is two miles away from campus through congested college and downtown traffic. The indoor practice facility is right there on campus (across from one of my favorite restaurants), and is a tight squeeze in a tightly packed area of the city. They needed to put something on campus.

You mention debt. USCe made $121M in revenue, but is financing over $180M in debt. Florida, on the other hand, generated $150M in revenue, expends $131M, and gives back (allocates) a couple million to the school. Another data point: FSU gives $8M to the athletic department to offset costs for improvements to the circus tent. The point being that there is plenty of data to support the frustration from fans that UF athletics has been pinching pennies. Good on them for giving money back to the school, and for funding improvements to the basketball, baseball, and softball teams, but UF is in a good position to incur some "smart debt" by improving the football facilities.

"just read a 247 article ranking the top 20 facilities for football programs across country. We were noticeably absent."

"Behind South Carolina, Kentucky and FSU? That shouldn't happen."

"It's not like that list is factual.

As someone else mentioned, USCe's facilities aren't even on their campus."

"Academics are more important at UF than at USCe and FSU. UF just spent 25 million expanding our athlete academic center which blows away what FSU and USCe have."

"UF is improving the football facilities with one of the best stand alone football facilities in the country (after we move the baseball stadium). UF's stand alone will be better than USCe's and FSU's when completed...We will end up with better baseball and football facilities than our primary opponent in Florida recruiting (FSU) and USCe."

"Looks like the Gamecocks will be moving up said list after just opening their new digs."

"What's the story at South Carolina, are they over-debted and over-committed to football revenue and are they isolating football revenue for football only projects?"

"South Carolina:
UF has a better stadium and Athlete academic center than USC has. UF's facilities are more conveniently located than USC's. USC has a bigger land package than UF has and a slightly better Indoor practice field."

https://www.gatorcountry.com/swampg...es-among-the-best-in-the-nation.422415/page-4

Last edited:
Looking at that thing makes me realize how out of minds we are about amateur athletics. I'm sorry, in an environment where the state is divesting from education and tuition is rising much faster than inflation, that building is obscene.
The cost of education is rising for the same reason; an out-of-control facilities arms race. Sure, state funding has been curtailed too, but that's a much smaller contributor to the problem.

Just to use UofSC as an example, over the past decade or so, they've built new dorms, new food courts, a new PE center, new classroom buildings, etc. but for the most part, it's still the same professors teaching the same curriculum, just in much more expensive surroundings. At a school like LSU, you had the gaudy example of building a "lazy river" at a time when the school was hundreds of millions in debt, laying off faculty and staff, and slashing courses and degree offerings. Same trend almost everywhere.

The big public schools and elite private schools are getting away with it, for now, due to consolidation. As the smaller schools either go out of business or get acquired by bigger schools, enrollment increases at the big public campuses and therefore helps offset the rising overhead expenses by spreading them over a larger base of students. Plus, each time the price tag increases, more student aid is provided via scholarships, financial aid, and subsidized student loans. But it's a bubble that will eventually burst if we don't get it under control.

Feels like to me Education is a bubble waiting to burst over the next 5 to 10 years

The cost of education is rising for the same reason; an out-of-control facilities arms race. Sure, state funding has been curtailed too, but that's a much smaller contributor to the problem.

Just to use UofSC as an example, over the past decade or so, they've built new dorms, new food courts, a new PE center, new classroom buildings, etc. but for the most part, it's still the same professors teaching the same curriculum, just in much more expensive surroundings. At a school like LSU, you had the gaudy example of building a "lazy river" at a time when the school was hundreds of millions in debt, laying off faculty and staff, and slashing courses and degree offerings. Same trend almost everywhere.

The big public schools and elite private schools are getting away with it, for now, due to consolidation. As the smaller schools either go out of business or get acquired by bigger schools, enrollment increases at the big public campuses and therefore helps offset the rising overhead expenses by spreading them over a larger base of students. Plus, each time the price tag increases, more student aid is provided via scholarships, financial aid, and subsidized student loans. But it's a bubble that will eventually burst if we don't get it under control.
In SC, it is the reason.

Sure, there were lots of capital improvements at USC in the last decade, but they were overdue. The last big building phase at USC was in the 1970s and the buildings looked like something from the Soviet Union. Moreover, they needed to expand facilities to accommodate more students, especially with the influx of millennials.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
In SC, it is the reason.

Sure, there were lots of capital improvements at USC in the last decade, but they were overdue. The last big building phase at USC was in the 1970s and the buildings looked like something from the Soviet Union. Moreover, they needed to expand facilities to accommodate more students, especially with the influx of millennials.
"In SC, it (cuts in state funding) is the reason."

Actually it's not. That's just what the colleges want you to believe. Cuts in state funding account for only about 20% of the increase we've seen in total cost of education. The bulk comes from increased operational expense and that is largely a function of new construction and all of the associated ongoing costs including additional staff. Granted, a lot of schools may have had out-dated facilities, but regardless of the reason behind the building campaigns, they have ultimately driven the price tag up at twice the rate of inflation. Old, traditional college dorms have been replaced with brand new, apartment style dorms, the cafeteria style feeding we saw for decades has been replaced by high-end food courts, the new recreational facilities are bigger and nicer than any LA Fitness you could find, campuses are building brand new student centers as well. And in many cases, the old facilities still remain and continue to operate. Also, aside from certain technology improvements, even the new classroom buildings are mostly just nicer surroundings rather than anything that specifically enhances the quality of the education a student receives. And don't be fooled into thinking that the cost for all that is covered by donors. At best, a significant portion of initial construction costs are covered, and the bulk of that investment is only for academic buildings or research labs. There are enormous, ongoing operational expenses that have to be passed along to students.

Maybe the wave of construction is nearing an end and we won't see the next massive wave for a few decades. I certainly hope so, because the cost of obtaining a bachelor's degree, via a traditional, residential college experience, is becoming unsustainable.

Reactions: ecrumpton
They've been saying that for years, but the generation following the millennials is much smaller. A lot of schools are not going to make it.
True, but the big schools are counting on consolidation to offset the eventual drop in overall enrollment. When the small public and non-elite private schools start going out of business (that trend has already begun), their students will end up at places like UofSC. For example, how much longer will Columbia College survive? Their enrollment is way down, they've been slashing classes and majors, and they are struggling financially. Same goes for a lot of HBCs like Allen University and Benedict College.

Likewise, you'll continue to see big schools buying financially-strapped smaller schools at bargain basement prices and establishing them as branch campuses. We've already been seeing that for years too as they can eliminate some overhead by having certain things managed only at the mother ship.

For example, it might surprise a lot of people to know that the largest school in the state of Georgia, by far, is Georgia State University with over 52,000 students. They were once a relatively small commuter school in downtown Atlanta. Now, via a series of expansions and acquisitions, it's the largest school in the state with 6 campuses.

Not all of these changes are necessarily bad, but they are largely driven by an unsustainable rate of annual increase in cost.

This is the updated list. We were ranked in the 20s or so in the prior list.

Either way, once you are getting into the top 10 you are likely splitting hairs. The main point is that we are atleast in the conversation for some of the top facilities in the country. Who is 1-10 is subjective. Recruits will notice. Hopefully our coaches will capitalize, and we will see the results translate to the field!

By the way, some of our rivals are already noticing...When did UF care so much about what we are doing??

"Once the planned improvements are in place, hopefully we can pull ahead of the likes of Kentucky and south Carolina...."

"Isn’t every facility that South Carolina has off campus?

I’m wondering, too, which have enormous tax payer subsidies and which are virtually self/booster financed?"

Yes. The USCe stadium is two miles away from campus through congested college and downtown traffic. The indoor practice facility is right there on campus (across from one of my favorite restaurants), and is a tight squeeze in a tightly packed area of the city. They needed to put something on campus.

You mention debt. USCe made $121M in revenue, but is financing over $180M in debt. Florida, on the other hand, generated $150M in revenue, expends $131M, and gives back (allocates) a couple million to the school. Another data point: FSU gives $8M to the athletic department to offset costs for improvements to the circus tent. The point being that there is plenty of data to support the frustration from fans that UF athletics has been pinching pennies. Good on them for giving money back to the school, and for funding improvements to the basketball, baseball, and softball teams, but UF is in a good position to incur some "smart debt" by improving the football facilities.

https://www.gatorcountry.com/swampg...es-among-the-best-in-the-nation.422415/page-4

You can always tell a Florida yankee when they pull that USCe stuff. It's like saying "soda," or, worse yet, "pop."

It's USC and coke, dammit.

Anyway. I'm of opinion we spend way too much on college athletics, but it is what it is and I already see one thing desperately needed to make this thing No. 1.

An onsite Jiffy Lube so the players can have their cars serviced without having to mix with the common folk.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT