ADVERTISEMENT

The official "FREE GRADY BROWN" thread!

G-C-Gamecock

Jan 26, 2012
He can recruit and he can do nothing but help a dismal defensive backfield. FREE GRADY BROWN! Get him out of the office and on the sideline!

You may disagree and that's fine, he is one of my fave coaches so I thought I would give him a shout.

Seems to be the best position coach on our staff (though that's not saying much) and he gets moved off the field. Typical as of late.

He can recruit and he can do nothing but help a dismal defensive backfield. FREE GRADY BROWN! Get him out of the office and on the sideline!

You may disagree and that's fine, he is one of my fave coaches so I thought I would give him a shout.

He is allowed to coach at practice, but not in games, correct? It sure would be nice to have his input during games. I know we had more talent at DB several years ago, but I remember Hampton, Legree, Christian, Gilmore jamming WR's at the line of scrimmage.

He is allowed to coach at practice, but not in games, correct? It sure would be nice to have his input during games. I know we had more talent at DB several years ago, but I remember Hampton, Legree, Christian, Gilmore jamming WR's at the line of scrimmage.
I think I have seen him in some of he practice hype videos but not sure what role(s) he can play. I don't think he is allowed to recruit.

Why do people think that Grady Brown is a good coach? He seems to be a tenacious recruiter but I have seen no evidence that he is a very good coach on the field. The DBs looked terrible last year as well when they were his sole responsibility. I trust John Hoke to determine his ability. I am sure he will be retained at the end of the year if he is good.

I think there is value to having less experienced coaches in some spots because they connect with recruits but our staff has far too many unproven commodities.

He might be good, he might not, I don't know. But I trust Hoke to figure it out. I just don't get why he is so loved on the message boards?

Why do people think that Grady Brown is a good coach? He seems to be a tenacious recruiter but I have seen no evidence that he is a very good coach on the field. The DBs looked terrible last year as well when they were his sole responsibility. I trust John Hoke to determine his ability. I am sure he will be retained at the end of the year if he is good.

I think there is value to having less experienced coaches in some spots because they connect with recruits but our staff has far too many unproven commodities.

He might be good, he might not, I don't know. But I trust Hoke to figure it out. I just don't get why he is so loved on the message boards?
The main issue with DBs last year (and now this year also) was a lack of pressure by the Dline. Cornerbacks can't be expected to hold coverage for 5…6…7 seconds while the QB picks and chooses who he wants. They were also very young last year and very light. Not saying they are huge now, but...well you get my point. Also, Brown was benched by Spurrier, not Hoke. He was benched to make way for Hoke. I'm just hoping Hoke sees value in him and gets him back on the sideline.

The main issue with DBs last year (and now this year also) was a lack of pressure by the Dline. Cornerbacks can't be expected to hold coverage for 5…6…7 seconds while the QB picks and chooses who he wants. They were also very young last year and very light. Not saying they are huge now, but...well you get my point. Also, Brown was benched by Spurrier, not Hoke. He was benched to make way for Hoke. I'm just hoping Hoke sees value in him and gets him back on the sideline.
Also, our DBs improved throughout the year last year, which was some of the reason for optimism for an improved defense this year. They appear to have regressed from last year.

The defensive line not getting pressure on anyone and the youth of the CBs made their play understandable last season. The safety position was beyond awful last season with guys wiffing tackles and players blaming one another for missed assignments. This season, the CBs are somehow even worse. It's not the line causing the problem, it's the talent and scheme. They have these kids playing 8 to 10 yards off the wide receivers and they're getting torched. 96% completion rate by a scrub QB that couldn't start at UVA is proof that Hoke hasn't accomplished anything with the DBs.

The defensive line not getting pressure on anyone and the youth of the CBs made their play understandable last season. The safety position was beyond awful last season with guys wiffing tackles and players blaming one another for missed assignments. This season, the CBs are somehow even worse. It's not the line causing the problem, it's the talent and scheme. They have these kids playing 8 to 10 yards off the wide receivers and they're getting torched. 96% completion rate by a scrub QB that couldn't start at UVA is proof that Hoke hasn't accomplished anything with the DBs.
" torched" is a polite way of putting it. :)

Last edited:

You can't be serious.

Hoke has coached All-Pro DBs and is the DB coach in addition to being the DC. And you say "FREE GRADY BROWN"?

You can't be serious.

Hoke has coached All-Pro DBs and is the DB coach in addition to being the DC. And you say "FREE GRADY BROWN"?
Yes. Did I not make that clear? Oh wait, maybe I didn't get your blessing to post a topic. Sorry about that.

DBs play 10 yds off receivers and start backpedaling when the ball is snapped. This is true even when they are standing on the goal line. Slants are freebies.
Either they are coached to do this, indicating lack of trust in safety/linebacker help (translated "lack of talent"), or it's poor coaching. It's about 50-50 on this forum as to which it is.

Reactions: GamecockJL
Yes. Did I not make that clear? Oh wait, maybe I didn't get your blessing to post a topic. Sorry about that.

I've never told anyone what to post and I'm not about to start today. Post what you want, that's always been my approach.

I just asked a question plainly. You answered plainly. That's good enough for me. Now I know not to expect any kind of meaningful discussion from your posts given your thoughts on Brown to replace Hoke.

You can't be serious.

I would guess that coaching All Pro DB's would require very little coaching of technique. Guys in the NFL are great DB's, that's why they're in the NFL. I'd also guess that coaching at the collegiate level is a totally different ballgame. Perhaps Hoke has taken teaching proper technique for granted? He hasn't had to "teach" players in a very long time. Hoke may very well be a great NFL secondary coach, but he hasn't been very impressive on the Gamecock sideline. Spurrier has publicly called him out twice for not doing a better job of disguising coverages, so let's hope he got the latest message.

I've never told anyone what to post and I'm not about to start today. Post what you want, that's always been my approach.

I just asked a question plainly. You answered plainly. That's good enough for me. Now I know not to expect any kind of meaningful discussion from your posts given your thoughts on Brown to replace Hoke.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think he meant to replace Hoke with Brown. I understood the original post as wanting Brown back on the field coaching. To do that, a different coach would be sidelined. I'd guess either Botkin, Adams, or Ward since all 3 are responsible for the front 7. A LB coach, DL coach, and a guy "in charge of the 2 of them" seems a little strange to me.

That ^ is 100% right. Its pretty amusing how lack of D-Line pressure is by far the most popular "reasoning" behind poor pass D. People just throw it out there like its a known fact. Its not. Our horrible pass D has nothing to do with our D-line so far this year. I haven't seen opposing QBs sitting in a pocket & waiting all day for guys to get open. They don't have to. The intermediate passing game has eaten our lunch. A slant or shorter post route to the inside can take anywhere from 2-4 seconds to develop. Through 3 games, we have not covered the interior at all. If anything, we don't know what kind of pass rush our line could generate because our LBs Spur & CBs have not covered anyone. And they haven't been allowed to disrupt routes in b&r because our scheme has been to avoid big plays, which is a joke considering they aren't stopping anything anyway. The soft spots in our zone look like big sky real estate. When a QB can rely on a WR getting open inside every play, the game is over, period.

Last edited:
The cornerbacks have no chance of covering anybody if they start out 8 yards from the line of scrimage. Its laughable how easy it was for Georgia to hit the short routes. So whoever is coaching this style of defense needs to stop whether that be hoke or brown.

Reactions: gpcocks
I would guess that coaching All Pro DB's would require very little coaching of technique. Guys in the NFL are great DB's, that's why they're in the NFL. I'd also guess that coaching at the collegiate level is a totally different ballgame. Perhaps Hoke has taken teaching proper technique for granted? He hasn't had to "teach" players in a very long time. Hoke may very well be a great NFL secondary coach, but he hasn't been very impressive on the Gamecock sideline. Spurrier has publicly called him out twice for not doing a better job of disguising coverages, so let's hope he got the latest message.

I don't follow that line of logic.

NFL coaches are at the top of their profession. They are paid as such because of they are at the top of their profession -- skill and experience.

Here's where your statement breaks down for me. If I follow your line of logic, any old fool could be a NFL DB coach. Especially a college DB coach. Correct? If so, why don't we see that move happening every year?

Hoke isn't changing anything according to the players. Scheme is just fine. Apparently 96% completion rate and an NCAA record isn't enough to change players or scheme. Alrighty.

Reactions: GamecockJL
I don't follow that line of logic.

NFL coaches are at the top of their profession. They are paid as such because of they are at the top of their profession -- skill and experience.

Here's where your statement breaks down for me. If I follow your line of logic, any old fool could be a NFL DB coach. Especially a college DB coach. Correct? If so, why don't we see that move happening every year?
Charlie Weis, known as a good coach in the NFL, couldn't do anything in college. Different game. Same reason a lot of very successful college coaches, don't do well in the NFL. NFL teams expect to get developed players, college is where they are developed.

Reactions: BigTomE

Well, seeing as I prefaced this whole thing by saying you may not agree with me and thats ok, Im pretty sure it meant you dont have to agree with me and thats okay. Adding, I never said "replace Hoke with Brown", that would be what you wanted to read, not what I posted. Just to clarify, in case it's beyond grasping (see, I can be condescending also), what I said is it couldn't hurt to have extra help. Lastly, now that I know of your reading comprehension skills, I will also not hold any hopes of "meaningful discussion" with you either (see, I did it again).

I think they look worse this year. I'm on board. Free Grady Brown now!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT