ADVERTISEMENT

The "R" Word

I hope whoever suspended him supplied him with a living breathing handbook that can be revised every month or so of unacceptable words to use on-air.

Reactions: Lakecock1
A bit insensitive, but as so often is the case these days, it is often more about who says it than what was said. Suddenly Dr Suess is offensive yet put anything you want in a rap song and win awards. So many take everything so literal when it serves a certain purpose. And as far as passing blame on such, for some reason sports writers are the worst. Maybe it is the brainwashing in journalism schools, but collectively they are the most flaming of liberals. Amazing that some of these guys are even taken seriously

This Dr. Suess thing is getting ridiculous. The Dr. Suess Foundation decided to pull the books permanently from production - a couple of them haven't been produced for years now. This wasn't bowing to public pressure, but a business decision that the few books with gross, stereotypical drawing of Asian people should probably not be sold anymore. No one has to worry - your Green Eggs and Ham book will still be there on the shelves for decades to come.

I hope whoever suspended him supplied him with a living breathing handbook that can be revised every month or so of unacceptable words to use on-air.

It probably hasn't been acceptable to say that on the air during a live broadcast for the last 30 years. If he just talks about sports (his job), then he'll be just fine.

Reactions: feeble2001
Let's be real. Some of us are deeply offended, or pretend to be so over others not having the same uncaring attitude that we do. I will tell you what I think, and I don't much care if I hurt your feelings. The truth usually hurts.

I am guilty of not being able to let it go as many others, but I also realize its from fear of being attacked ourselves. I dont want to be attacked simply for being me, and in all honesty, being me is going to offend people occasionally. I'm ok with that, very little in this world truly offends me when it comes to name calling or bad words. Attacking my right to speak my mind is offensive though.

Some days, it's harder than others to realize people aren't attacking me any more than I'm attacking them.

I think he knows that - but that he's still rough around the edges as a broadcaster, and he just needs to be more aware of the parameters of this career.
Perhaps. I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of his work, but to his defense, im not a big fan of most game announcers. What I dont like about how this played out is that his apology after the break should have been the end of it. But that evidently wasnt good enough and a suspension followed. That itself seems weak imo... appeasing the noisy and caving to outside sources. And as long as that's the type of response made, I'd expect the number of offensive words will grow.

Yeah, I get what you are saying, but using that word as a pejorative has been distasteful for a long time. It was that way when I was a kid, and I'm in my 50s. I feel for folks with mental challenges or loves ones in that situation, and I just can't agree with making them the butt of a joke or cut down. Some things just don't feel right on the most basic human level.

That being said, if he gave an honest apology, reprimand him and move on. Tired of the social death sentences.
Retard is a medical term, along with imbecil and idiot. Take your pick, and use liberally.

This is one of those perfect words where you won’t understand being offended by it unless it personally affects you. I honestly have never thought anything about it until a few years ago when someone we recently became acquainted with mentioned in association with her brother who has somewhat middle of the road developmental problems. Hearing her talk about how it felt when people said it about her brother just kind of changed that for us.

I know for many there will always be the excuses that it was said for years or it has other meanings but when the usage and the intent is provided in a negative manner it becomes a problem.

This is one of those perfect words where you won’t understand being offended by it unless it personally affects you. I honestly have never thought anything about it until a few years ago when someone we recently became acquainted with mentioned in association with her brother who has somewhat middle of the road developmental problems. Hearing her talk about how it felt when people said it about her brother just kind of changed that for us.

I know for many there will always be the excuses that it was said for years or it has other meanings but when the usage and the intent is provided in a negative manner it becomes a problem.
Well said. Kip will learn from his mistake as would anyone who witnesses what you describe. Which makes him being punished for it all the more weird.

I cannot thank my parents enough for teaching me that what you posted just isn't true unless are weak of mind and spirit or simply ignorant of the way of the world.
So sorry you were raised in a family that did not go to church and learn of love and grace.
For “whatsoever you do to the least of your brothers and sisters, you do unto me,” says the Lord Jesus

Reactions: Dizzy01
In automotive terms you either advance or retard the timing. I guess mechanics will have to find a substitute word.

Retard (transitive verb): to delay or impede the development or progress of...

Retarded [adjective]: slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development

An innocent remark by a good guy and an iconic Gamecock pitcher

We are, unfortunately, living in irrationally Woke times

Good luck

Go Cocks!

Words have meaning only in one’s own culture. As such, words are universally meaningless. Sticks and stones. Only children react emotionally to words. Today’s young adults lack emotional intelligence.
So when you get a lump in your throat when your so spouse says “I love you” it’s just a childish lack of emotional intelligence

When someone cries because they are being verbally abused by a spouse, they just lack emotional intelligence.

That pride you feel on the Fourth of July when you hear the words, “We hold these truths.....” utter childish nonsense

When you smile and start singing the words to your favorite song, just silly vapid childish nonsense

When you feel the sting of anger when a dear friend is called, “A stupid N.....” chill baby it’s only words

Judaism and Christianity believe that the world was brought into being by words, “Let there be....”

What a barren inner life you must have to dismiss the power of words, or maybe you have perfected your Buddhist detachment.

So when you get a lump in your throat when your so spouse says “I love you” it’s just a childish lack of emotional intelligence

When someone cries because they are being verbally abused by a spouse, they just lack emotional intelligence.

That pride you feel on the Fourth of July when you hear the words, “We hold these truths.....” utter childish nonsense

When you smile and start singing the words to your favorite song, just silly vapid childish nonsense

When you feel the sting of anger when a dear friend is called, “A stupid N.....” chill baby it’s only words

Judaism and Christianity believe that the world was brought into being by words, “Let there be....”

What a barren inner life you must have to dismiss the power of words, or maybe you have perfected your Buddhist detachment.
Some people are just bigots

He shouldn't have said it, but he did. He should apologize, and he did that as well. I can't imagine this goes much further than a quick suspension.

If it's your job to speak in public about sports, then it should be pretty easy to not say offensive things. I think he'll get that and be just fine.
I was more offended in the way he was defending the Clemson pitchers discuss on the calls the Ump was making. Never take up for Clemson, on the air, if you are working for the Carolina network!

Reactions: USCBatgirl21

If a person let’s words guide his actions then that person lacks emotional intelligence is is subject to emotional appeals of faulty logic. What you wrote are examples of emotional appeals — you believe emotions are warranted in the situations you describe. It’s why many voters always fall for the line of “ it’s for the children” when in fact it actually harms children. Politicians know people like you fall for words and so they use them against people even though the words sound so good. And to your point about someone calling my friend the N word, in such cases it’s usually a black person saying that word to another black person.

As a grandparent of a child with Autism and a former broadcaster, my immediate response on hearing it was jarring. Oddly, it was a more visceral reaction to the thought " was he really so dumb that he did not know that word was off limits." As an American and active defender of all special needs folks, my first inclination was to go after him for the insensitivity. As a broadcaster it was "another stupid jock who does not need to be on the air." It didn't help that the broadcast showed his apparently non special needs boys, the exact same age as my little guy, sitting there enjoying a baseball game and he waxing on about them. But that is my pain.

Words have been weaponized. I don't agree with it. As my mom always said, "what you do speaks so loudly I cannot hear a word you are saying." I still appreciate his game knowledge, but my opinion of his humanity has plummeted. We will see if he seeks to re-build that. Meanwhile, don't take his job, but hold him to a higher standard if you want to keep him.

But, stop hiring every athlete who comes along to be "broadcaster." Its making us smarter about silly games, but dumber about life.

Its always so fun to have someone defend using a word like the "N Word" saying its just a word and its no big deal, call them a racist and they have a mental breakdown trying to defend themselves

I was more offended in the way he was defending the Clemson pitchers discuss on the calls the Ump was making. Never take up for Clemson, on the air, if you are working for the Carolina network!
Not to mention the times it can be a pitch a foot outside, called a strike, and he says "that was a perfect pitch to me". WTH Kip? Are you blind???????

Isn't it interesting that a post about using hurtful words has people on the thread calling others idiotic, disingenuous, and bigots. Just sayin'. When some are losing an argument, they go straight to name calling. People may not agree with my posts, but I'll never call someone a name or be disrespectful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT