ADVERTISEMENT

The Snake had a heartwarming story on the Scott family

Yeah. I can understand that but say you went to a new employer and you have a chance to PO your old employer or your new employer????
I see your point but two different situations, jmo. Scott had 100 players on the sideline that "he" recruited. He stuck it in their faces.

I remember Wally. He was the only player on that defense who put out a lot of effort. He was the only one who seemed to care if USC won.
Shane was the middle linebacker. Wally's son. Nepotism? Perhaps the slowest starting linebacker in the history of the SEC. At least he coupled his lack of speed with a complete lack of football instincts that manifested itself in a tendency to dive into Gap A when the ball was being run through Gap B. Or he would take an angle that would work for a 4.5 speedster when he was lucky to break 5.0. He watched a lot of plays from behind.

There was a lot of rumbling around the team that year that other players didn't appreciate Shane's special treatment. I don't remember who it was, but we had a black linebacker who was head-and-shoulders better than Shane. I remember rumors of racial discord. I have no reason to make this up.

Yeah. I can understand that but say you went to a new employer and you have a chance to PO your old employer or your new employer????
Brad deserved to be fired and he knew it. His former players did not deserve to be shown up by their old coach a season later. That was as low class as you can get. Brad Scott and klempsun are perfect for each other. A match made in hell.

Shane was the middle linebacker. Wally's son. Nepotism? Perhaps the slowest starting linebacker in the history of the SEC. At least he coupled his lack of speed with a complete lack of football instincts that manifested itself in a tendency to dive into Gap A when the ball was being run through Gap B. Or he would take an angle that would work for a 4.5 speedster when he was lucky to break 5.0. He watched a lot of plays from behind.

There was a lot of rumbling around the team that year that other players didn't appreciate Shane's special treatment. I don't remember who it was, but we had a black linebacker who was head-and-shoulders better than Shane. I remember rumors of racial discord. I have no reason to make this up.
I remember that Shane was about the only one who really tried. Players should give their all or get off the field. They get a lot of freebies and adulation from fans. I would imagine that playing CFB is a great memory that lasts a lifetime.

Most of the OL that received so much attention 1998:
Jason Cox
Scott Browne
Phillip Jones
Jamar Nesbit
Melvin Paige
Kevin Johnson
Kevin Rivers

Scott's recruits:
Sheldon Browne
Cecil Caldwell
Kalimba Edwards
Andre Goodman
Marco Hutchison
Jermale Kelly
Antoine Nesmith
Andre Offing
Willie Offord
Anthony Overstreet
Phil Petty
Brian Scott
Carlos Spikes
John Stamper
Zola Davis

Without the recruiting of Scott we don't win Outback Bowls. Once that talent ran out so did Holtz's magic tricks. Most may not like the bittersweet taste Scott left, and that's understandable given some of his actions, but he left us with a wealth of talent we've rarely had then, or since. The guy second guessed himself and that ended up costing him what could have been a great career at Carolina. He brought an innovative offense from FSU and implemented it perfectly to compliment Taneyhill and our WR's.

Is what it is now, I just find it funny how history gets skewed and the facts lost sometimes. It was the best of times, and the worst of times. That's how I choose to remember it.

So Brad Scott won the Carquest Bowl with Sparkys players. That's fact.

Also that year he had Ricky Bustle, from Summerville and Va. Tech, as offensive coordinator. Ricky had a hell of an offense and Tanneyhill played his best ball under him. After 94 he left and went back to Va Tech.

Then comes John Reeves (may he Rest In Peace) sharing the controls with the WR coach John Eason. The offenses weren't as sharp after that.

The deal about them trying to hold the ball and run? Well look. If you had Duce Staley and Troy Hambrick at running back, then what would you do?

The defense speaks for itself. It was ugly and he wouldn't send his friend packing. It was a major factor in his demise.

Lou had his issues. But know this. The line of scrimmage was pretty bad when he got here. Brad could recruit a wide out. But lineman and so on not as much.

At any rate. Lou gets here and the team is disfunctional and soft. His 1st 2 a days were a mini-version of Junction Boys. That actually led to a MASH unit during that 1st season. He beat them to death in those practices. But it resulted in a physical football team.

Brad Scott would have never led those kids to 2 outback bowl wins. It took Lou to shock them and whip them into shape.

I don't wish Brad any Ill will. Life goes on. But please remember he got well healed on the buyout when fired. Not to mention what he made while head coach.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979

Also that year he had Ricky Bustle, from Summerville and Va. Tech, as offensive coordinator. Ricky had a hell of an offense and Tanneyhill played his best ball under him. After 94 he left and went back to Va Tech.

Then comes John Reeves (may he Rest In Peace) sharing the controls with the WR coach John Eason. The offenses weren't as sharp after that.

The deal about them trying to hold the ball and run? Well look. If you had Duce Staley and Troy Hambrick at running back, then what would you do?

The defense speaks for itself. It was ugly and he wouldn't send his friend packing. It was a major factor in his demise.

Lou had his issues. But know this. The line of scrimmage was pretty bad when he got here. Brad could recruit a wide out. But lineman and so on not as much.

At any rate. Lou gets here and the team is disfunctional and soft. His 1st 2 a days were a mini-version of Junction Boys. That actually led to a MASH unit during that 1st season. He beat them to death in those practices. But it resulted in a physical football team.

Brad Scott would have never led those kids to 2 outback bowl wins. It took Lou to shock them and whip them into shape.

I don't wish Brad any Ill will. Life goes on. But please remember he got well healed on the buyout when fired. Not to mention what he made while head coach.

Anyone recall why, exactly, Ricky Bustle left after 1 year at the helm as OC? That hurt bad.

And I think importantly, never sniffed another head coaching job.

Anyone recall why, exactly, Ricky Bustle left after 1 year at the helm as OC? That hurt bad.

According to quotes and a Virginia Tech article, Bustle left VT came here and his old job became available again went back just saying they liked Blacksburg. Going from Frank Beamer to Brad Scott had to be a impact as well, who wouldn't run back away from Brad Scott and to Frank Beamer in that situation given an opportunity?

To replace Marshall in 1993, Beamer promoted Bustle, who had coached Tech’s quarterbacks and receivers from 1987-92 and whom Beamer had hired from Northeast Louisiana. Bustle’s first year was a rousing success as DeShazo and tailback Dwayne Thomas led an offense that produced a school-record 400 points, ranked 11th nationally in scoring and helped the Hokies save Beamer’s job with a 9-3 season.

Independence Bowl victory over Indiana, Bustle resigned to become offensive coordinator at South Carolina under rookie head coach Brad Scott. Bustle played high school football in South Carolina and was a receiver at Clemson.

Two weeks later, Beamer hired Tranquill, a former coordinator at Virginia– he was the architect of the Cavaliers’ offense in 1990 that set an ACCscoring record (40.2 points per game) with quarterback Shawn Moore, receiver Herman Moore and tailback Terry Kirby -- and head coach at Navy. At the time, Tranquill was the Cleveland Browns quarterback coach under Belichick.

Tranquill and then-Hokies defensive coordinator Phil Elmassian had worked together at Virginia, and Elmassian recommended Tranquill to Beamer. In his senior season, DeShazo was an ideal fit with Tranquill, given the latter’s history with Shawn Moore, another dual-threat quarterback.

Tech went 8-3 during the 1994 regular season, and a Gator Bowl bid sent the Hokies to postseason for the second consecutive year, a program first. But Tranquill resigned before the bowl, which the Hokies lost to Peyton Manning and Tennessee, to become Michigan State’s offensive coordinator under Saban. Tranquill and Saban had worked together in Cleveland.

Tranquill remained at Michgan State five seasons before returning to Virginia and concluding his career at North Carolina and Boston College. He retired from coaching in 2010 after two seasons coordinating BC’s offense.

Upon Tranquill’s departure, Beamer again searched rapidly. Less than two weeks later, Bustle was headed back to Blacksburg.

“In this profession, a lot of times you don't stay anyplace very long, and we missed Blacksburg quite a bit,” Bustle said at the time. “A lot of times you put your professional priorities ahead of family priorities, and I've probably been as guilty of that as anybody. We sat down and talked about it, and decided this is what we wanted to do.”

The reunion lasted seven years, and the Hokies never averaged fewer than 29 points per game. With a pro-style quarterback in Jim Druckenmiller, they won Big East titles in 1995 and ’96. With the fleet Michael Vick at quarterback in 1999 and 2000, they ranked first and fifth nationally in scoring, averaging 41.4 and 40.3 points.

Those accomplishments landed Bustle the head-coaching position at Louisiana Lafayette, a job he held from 2002-10, compiling a 42-65 record. He was dismissed after a 3-9 finish in 2010, coached quarterbacks at Tulane in 2011 and running backs at Southern Mississippi in 2012.

Who really wanted to work for Brad Scott at that time, here is some vintage footage of coach Scott in a coaches meeting,

giphy.gif

Scandals? Special team player? Coaches duking it out? Please give us your sources!
If you can't remember then I can't help you. Let's just say certain OL didn't like certain QBs as it related to pigmentation and that was not the only plague of that season. Not rehashing it but any head coach would've stopped it immediately. That said, it was 19 years ago so who cares?

If you can't remember then I can't help you. Let's just say certain OL didn't like certain QBs as it related to pigmentation and that was not the only plague of that season. Not rehashing it but any head coach would've stopped it immediately. That said, it was 19 years ago so who cares?
Well, I wasn't the one who brought it up in the first place.

Scott will never get any credit from me, and they are a perfect match with Clemson. At the end, it was like he was working in the basement, and hadn't been paid for weeks. As far as the first bowl win, Sparky was over his head, but his roster was far from depleted. It was a situation of Brandon Bennett, Toby Cates, Watkins, Taneyhill, all hitting their stride at the right time. Brad might've ultimately given an offense boost, but he wasn't HC material. Also, I would take anyone of those players in a NY minute on this year's team

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT