ADVERTISEMENT

The super complicated Satterfield offense and why Tennessee does the opposite

Bucs90

Sep 22, 2019
We’ve heard from several analysts about how complicated Satterfields offense is. Rattler even said post game they need to improve on “knowing what to do”. Yet Josh Heupels unit is torching people. His is more simple, faster, quick to learn. So players play fast and confident. And most importantly portal guys can plug in immediately and play.

The days of offensive players needing 2-3 years to become competent in a system and waiting their turn are over. But some OCs are still determined to show their genius level thru hyper complex playbooks. College football doesnt work that way anymore. Tennessee could take a portal QB and within a month he can run the offense

We’ve heard from several analysts about how complicated Satterfields offense is. Rattler even said post game they need to improve on “knowing what to do”. Yet Josh Heupels unit is torching people. His is more simple, faster, quick to learn. So players play fast and confident. And most importantly portal guys can plug in immediately and play.

The days of offensive players needing 2-3 years to become competent in a system and waiting their turn are over. But some OCs are still determined to show their genius level thru hyper complex playbooks. College football doesnt work that way anymore. Tennessee could take a portal QB and within a month he can run the offense
Agree. Satterfield has a patented "complex system" which yields uncomplex results.

Beamer talked all week about getting the ball to our best playmakers. "At his news conference Wednesday, Satterfield called Bell "one of the most talented football players I've ever worked with," and said he hoped the offense would be able to utilize him more going forward."

Arguably our best receiver, Jaheim Bell, had zero touches last night.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/st...m-bell-family-criticizes-coaches/69603106007/

Agree. Satterfield has a patented "complex system" which yields uncomplex results.

Beamer talked all week about getting the ball to our best playmakers. "At his news conference Wednesday, Satterfield called Bell "one of the most talented football players I've ever worked with," and said he hoped the offense would be able to utilize him more going forward."

Arguably our best receiver, Jaheim Bell, had zero touches last night.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/st...m-bell-family-criticizes-coaches/69603106007/

With all due respect to that family, I've been in a similar situation with my son before and it's best to just stfu and deal with it privately.
Everyone thinks their kid should be out there playing so, even if you are correct, it's not a good look.

With all due respect to that family, I've been in a similar situation with my son before and it's best to just stfu and deal with it privately.
Everyone thinks their kid should be out there playing so, even if you are correct, it's not a good look.
Normally I would agree. What makes this worse is the offensive coordinator coming out mid week and saying if it were up to him, Bell would get 20 targets a game. Then 4 days later the kid is literally not even on the field.

There’s complaining about playing time and then there’s telling the media a kid should get 20 touches and not even letting the kid on the field. What does the family even have to lose at this point?

This part needs to be discussed about the Bell situation. At any time, Coach Beamer could demand him on the field. He is not. So either let the kid walk and help him transfer or get rid of the coordinator. But it’s not fair to anyone involved to talk this kid up on Tuesday and let him ride pine on Saturday.

I know lots of people like to say the offense is “super complicated” but it doesn’t seem too complicated to stop. We don’t score points….

Reactions: pettyw
I know lots of people like to say the offense is “super complicated” but it doesn’t seem too complicated to stop. We don’t score points….

Because our players are confused and unsure what to so. Like pass blocking, Mizzou LBs were coming free bc OL and RB werent making the pickups and adjustments. Routes were off. Everything is so complex that our players are literally confused and missing assignments or going 80% speed bc their mind and body arent in sync.

Modern college football is about more simplicity, playing faster, rapid but simple adjustments pre snap, and plugging in transfers immediately who can pick it all up in 4 weeks of camp. No more waiting 2-3 years for guys to finally figure it out.

Just rush the passer....seems to work pretty good. :oops:
I personally think we are trying to put a round peg in a square hole. We do not have the personnel to run what we are trying to run. We do have a QB with a gun for an arm, 1 running back who can play at next level and some way above average receivers. We do not have an Oline that can pick up complicated blitz packages or stunts so we need to make their life easier by spreading out the defense. We need to have 4 or sometimes 5 wide spread across the field (the entire field). JB needs to 1 of those alot of the times. Our QB can make throws sideline to sideline. Not every QB can do this so lets use what ability he has. The D will be spread out so our Oline can simplify their assignments and running lanes would be better for ML. JB would be a nightmare to match up against. If this sounds like what Tennessee is doing, you are correct.

I personally think we are trying to put a round peg in a square hole. We do not have the personnel to run what we are trying to run. We do have a QB with a gun for an arm, 1 running back who can play at next level and some way above average receivers. We do not have an Oline that can pick up complicated blitz packages or stunts so we need to make their life easier by spreading out the defense. We need to have 4 or sometimes 5 wide spread across the field (the entire field). JB needs to 1 of those alot of the times. Our QB can make throws sideline to sideline. Not every QB can do this so lets use what ability he has. The D will be spread out so our Oline can simplify their assignments and running lanes would be better for ML. JB would be a nightmare to match up against. If this sounds like what Tennessee is doing, you are correct.
As much as some dislike the way Spurrier left, the Old Ball Coach would have put up 30 points a game with this crew.

Normally I would agree. What makes this worse is the offensive coordinator coming out mid week and saying if it were up to him, Bell would get 20 targets a game. Then 4 days later the kid is literally not even on the field.

There’s complaining about playing time and then there’s telling the media a kid should get 20 touches and not even letting the kid on the field. What does the family even have to lose at this point?

This part needs to be discussed about the Bell situation. At any time, Coach Beamer could demand him on the field. He is not. So either let the kid walk and help him transfer or get rid of the coordinator. But it’s not fair to anyone involved to talk this kid up on Tuesday and let him ride pine on Saturday.
That's a bad look: there's no other way to cast it.

Gamecock offense against Georgia 306 yards
Mizzou offense against Georgia 294 yards
Tennerreseeee offense against Georgia 289 yards

LOL

Blows the mind the tools we havent seemed willing to use this year. Idk if some of the players continue to piss off the wrong coaches or what. The whole situation on the offensive side of the ball just seems odd to me. We got guys coming in, make what can be a game changing play and then go back to being invisible. I cant remember ever seeing anything like that when you know what those guys can do. In the past, I've seen something similar with plays. Lou Holtz was like that... where a play would work beautifully and you'd never seen it again. But this stuff with the players, I just dont get it.

LOL
306 yards and 7 points most of which came against Georgia's 3rd string late in the game, Mizzou 294 yards and 22 points

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT