ADVERTISEMENT

The victory gives USC its sixth title in the last seven years, the first time that has been done in SEC history.

A few more
Last 8 years in conference play
5 Regular season titles and runner up 3 times
6 Tourney titles 19-2 record
115-13 record in conference regular season. By Comparison

A&M 89-37 1 regular season
Miss St 89-35 2 regular season and 1 tourney
UT 83-42. 1 regular season(tied with us but we won head to head) 1 tourney

Ole Miss 25-101

Last edited:
A few more
Last 8 years in conference play
5 Regular season titles and runner up 3 times
6 Tourney titles 19-2 record
115-13 record in conference regular season. By Comparison

A&M 89-37 1 regular season
Miss St 89-35 2 regular season and 1 tourney
UT 83-42. 1 regular season(tied with us but we won head to head) 1 tourney

Ole Miss 25-101

Yesterday, at halftime, they showed that UGA's seniors scored 25 of the Bulldogs' 1st half points. They didn't show that our senior class scored 2 of our 1st half points.

We are young. This run ain't over.

It just pisses me off that the Women's team lost out of another National Championship Trophy. This would would have been nice for Dawn to have two and working on a 3rd one this season. Too bad the NCAA didn't award both men's and women's basketball programs who finished 1st the National Championship like they used to do for football years ago...

It just pisses me off that the Women's team lost out of another National Championship Trophy. This would would have been nice for Dawn to have two and working on a 3rd one this season. Too bad the NCAA didn't award both men's and women's basketball programs who finished 1st the National Championship like they used to do for football years ago...
I agree that last year’s team definitely had the talent and moxie to win it all! We went to the A&M game in Columbia for senior day with 18,000 other fans last year (pre covid lockdown) - that team was special. This years team is showing something too, great run in Greenville! Dawn is special, no doubt!

The conference was stacked with talent this year especially senior talent. Look at who top teams lose. The top 7 teams besides us lose 22 full starters, 2 sixth men and 4 other part time starters.
UT and UK come out with the least losses. Mizzou, Ole Miss and Miss St come out with rosters basically intact. Look for significant improvement by those three
Before the season I predicted us to go 14-2 and win the conference. Didn’t see A&M as coming together as they did🤷‍♂️ I also said Beat us this year because all you gonna get the next two at least is ass whippings. 16-0 the next two years

A&M: Wilson, Wells, Jones, Johnson, and Pitts. Four starters and leading scorers plus first sub off the bench

Bama: Walker, Lewis and Copeland all avg over 15 ppg

UT: Davis, their best player and Kushkituah part time starter and first player off the bench

Ark: Dungee, Slocum, Ramirez and Thomas all four are starters and top 3 scorers

UGA: Staiti, Morrison, Connally, Caldwell all four starters and top 4 scorers

LSU: 4 starters plus two players who started 10 and 6 games

UK: Patterson and McKinney both starters. Patterson is a huge loss. Also they lose Wyatt who was a solid bench contributor

Reactions: redrogers
The conference was stacked with talent this year especially senior talent. Look at who top teams lose. The top 7 teams besides us lose 22 full starters, 2 sixth men and 4 other part time starters.
UT and UK come out with the least losses. Mizzou, Ole Miss and Miss St come out with rosters basically intact. Look for significant improvement by those three
Before the season I predicted us to go 14-2 and win the conference. Didn’t see A&M as coming together as they did🤷‍♂️ I also said Beat us this year because all you gonna get the next two at least is ass whippings. 16-0 the next two years

A&M: Wilson, Wells, Jones, Johnson, and Pitts. Four starters and leading scorers plus first sub off the bench

UT: Davis, their best player and Kushkituah part time starter and first player off the bench

UK: Patterson and McKinney both starters. Patterson is a huge loss. Also they lose Wyatt who was a solid bench contributor

Don't they all have the option to come back? Obviously draft picks like Dungee and Davis won't. Maybe others will. Lele also has the option, correct?

We still should be the favorite regardless.

Btw, been hearing rumors of Rhyne Howard to Ole Miss.

Also, Mississippi St fans are convinced they will lose players to the transfer portal. A lot of doom and gloom in that fan base with the new coach and how fast Ole Miss has closed the gap.

Don't they all have the option to come back? Obviously draft picks like Dungee and Davis won't. Maybe others will. Lele also has the option, correct?

We still should be the favorite regardless.

Btw, been hearing rumors of Rhyne Howard to Ole Miss.
Not sure all the intricacies of who can come back or not.
If UK loses Howard, Elzy is finished. She got put in a tough spot with Mitchell’s sudden retirement, but I expected more from them this year. Treasure Hunt did not develop at all this year. Patterson was the only other scorer and the only other player Howard trusted. Lot of pretty good players with no difference makers.

I expected more from MISS St. also.
Chloe Bobby transferring out really hurt them. She rebounded, played D, set picks, all the work that gets no glory. She is averaging 15 ppg this year.
Jackson did not regress but did not progress either.
Carter is turning into a baller.
The situation there is weird. Players loved Vic. Starkville is negative in my opinion. Nikki plays a different style and has not really been embraced by the community and not sure team has bought into her. They got talent but for some reason the pieces didn’t fit this year.
Ole Miss is a team to look out for in the future IF they can keep coach Yo. Players love her, she recruits, knows her X’s and O’s. She will get offers in the next two years, does Ole Miss pony up? Does she want to stay in the toughest conference where you have a really good year and finished 4th?

Did the NCAA EVER award national championships for football years ago before the college football playoffs were initiated? I always thought it was the consensus of media polls that awarded them, and the NCAA just accepted it.

Don't think the NCAA EVER awards national championships for ANY sport, without there being postseason playoffs played for them first.......

Of course, all this is a bit premature until we see more data - the NCAA allowed for seniors to return for a 5th year of playing eligibility next season due to covid interruptions, if they so choose. No questions asked.

But then again also, the NCAA will allow for transfers to other school to have immediate playing eligibility, and not have to sit out a year, REGARDLESS of year they are in. There are several current SEC players of ALL classes that are considered top players that are being whispered as potential transfers.

So Stay Tuned......

Did the NCAA EVER award national championships for football years ago before the college football playoffs were initiated? I always thought it was the consensus of media polls that awarded them, and the NCAA just accepted it.

Don't think the NCAA EVER awards national championships for ANY sport, without there being postseason playoffs played for them first.......

I think the schools just claimed national titles based on the polls. That's why I say "hang the banner." Our claim to a national championship is just as good as most football national champion have been.

Reactions: paladin181
Of course, all this is a bit premature until we see more data - the NCAA allowed for seniors to return for a 5th year of playing eligibility next season due to covid interruptions, if they so choose. No questions asked.

But then again also, the NCAA will allow for transfers to other school to have immediate playing eligibility, and not have to sit out a year, REGARDLESS of year they are in. There are several current SEC players of ALL classes that are considered top players that are being whispered as potential transfers.

So Stay Tuned......
How does that affect players like Dungee who was a fifth year player this year?

I think the schools just claimed national titles based on the polls. That's why I say "hang the banner." Our claim to a national championship is just as good as most football national champion have been.

There's a problem with this: with those CFB programs in days of old, there WAS NO playoffs to be held, so they didn't really have much choice either way. With college basketball, there have always been a postseason playoff tournament for teams with claims to the title to actually prove themselves on the hardwood. Now, covid last season took that away from us, but there were other teams that had as legitimate a claim to the title as we had, and one of them - Oregon - were being given votes for it by the national polls. Seems unfair to them to not be given fair chance to prove themselves...

How does that affect players like Dungee who was a fifth year player this year?

Per the NCAA, ALL current Div. I Fall and Winter sports athletes are eligible, period. If their playing eligibility is set to expire this season, it shouldn't matter if they are 4th yr., 5th yr. or 6th yr. seniors.

So, Dungee would be eligible to return if she so chooses. It depends of course on her professional prospects, I'm sure: she (and other top seniors projected highly for the WNBA draft) would probably not want to forego any chances for a high pick. But really, who knows at this point......

There's a problem with this: with those CFB programs in days of old, there WAS NO playoffs to be held, so they didn't really have much choice either way. With college basketball, there have always been a postseason playoff tournament for teams with claims to the title to actually prove themselves on the hardwood. Now, covid last season took that away from us, but there were other teams that had as legitimate a claim to the title as we had, and one of them - Oregon - were being given votes for it by the national polls. Seems unfair to them to not be given fair chance to prove themselves...

Oregon can hang one too, if they want. Doesn't bother me. But we can claim not only #1 in the final polls but also in the final committee rankings.

Just wanted to finish out some conference stats during this 8 year run. Here are records vs each team during the 8 years
UT 7-5
A&M 7-2
Mizzou 7-2
MSU 11-3
UK 16-3
Ark 12-1
UF 9-0
Ole Miss 9-0
Vandy 10-0
Auburn 10-0
LSU 11-0
Bama 11-0
UGA 14-0

Reactions: evantually
Just wanted to finish out some conference stats during this 8 year run. Here are records vs each team during the 8 years
UT 7-5
A&M 7-2
Mizzou 7-2
MSU 11-3
UK 16-3
Ark 12-1
UF 9-0
Ole Miss 9-0
Vandy 10-0
Auburn 10-0
LSU 11-0
Bama 11-0
UGA 14-0
At first glance, the UT record kind of surprised me. The losses against other teams I remembered better.

UT 7-5
A&M 7-2
Mizzou 7-2
MSU 11-3
UK 16-3
Ark 12-1
UF 9-0
Ole Miss 9-0
Vandy 10-0
Auburn 10-0
LSU 11-0
Bama 11-0
UGA 14-0

Can you name the SEC home losses off the top of your head?

There haven't been many.

At first glance, the UT record kind of surprised me. The losses against other teams I remembered better.

LBJ m
Can you name the SEC home losses off the top of your head?

There haven't been many.
This post was corrected and edited as Dark Cock pointed out an error!! Thanks DC for keeping me on my toes. I will try to do better in the future

Twice to UT, once 62-60 on a bad call that sent them to line with 2 seconds in a tie game. Another they just killed us when A’ja was unable to play due to migraines 86-70 We met them in the tourney with A’ja and beat them by eleven 73-62. 27 point difference with and without A’ja

A loss to Miss St the year after A’ja graduated. We lost 68-64 after playing an excellent game in controlling tempo with few turnovers. McCowan had 18 points 7-8 fgs and perfect from the line. She also had 17 rebounds. Anriel Howard had 13 points and 16 rebounds. We got killed on the boards and second chance points doomed us.

2019 Rhynne Howard lit us up in Columbia. We lost 65-57 and shot a dreadful 17-52.

That’s it. 4 home losses in 8 years. 60-4 record 94.3%

54-10 on the road with 2 losses at A&M, Mizzou, and Miss st, 3 at UT, 1 at UK 84.3%

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkCock
I don't remember losing at home to Mizzou. What year was that?

I don't remember losing at home to Mizzou. What year was that?
My mistake looking at results I saw location as Columbia and it was Columbia Mo. So I need to recalculate, 4 home losses, 10 road losses, 2 tourney losses to Ark and UK

Last edited:
My signature as well reflects this. Hang the banner indeed!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT