ADVERTISEMENT

There is a group of wussies who want the March Madness games be played in

Over 50,000 people die of the flu each year in the U.S. but roughly 48% will not get the flu shot. Point is, if there were a CV shot most wouldn’t even get it.

Last edited:
It is something that has to be taken seriously. But We all know why there is a media frenzy.

If you have cold or flu-like symptoms (especially coughing and/or sneezing) common sense says don't go to a place where you will be in close quarters with lots of other people. Ideally that would include commercial airplanes, but at least wear a mask if you can't change the flight.

Right?
Common sense these days? Who GAF about anyone else but me? I have a flight to make, and I'll make it without inconveniencing my self, thanks. >.> At least, that seems to be the prevailing mentality these days.

Over 50,000 people die of the flu each year in the U.S. but roughly 48% will not get the flu shot. Point is, if there were a CV shot most wouldn’t even get it.
I haven't had a flu shot in over 10 years, since the last time I got the flu. Flu shot is window dressing IMO. You'll get the shot or not. You'll get the flu or not. But the two occurrences seem to be completely exclusive to me.

I haven't had a flu shot in over 10 years, since the last time I got the flu. Flu shot is window dressing IMO. You'll get the shot or not. You'll get the flu or not. But the two occurrences seem to be completely exclusive to me.
On the other hand, I get the flu shot every year and can't remember when I have had the flu. It's a cheap precaution.

I think that the initial percentage of people getting it at this time would be higher than for the flu shot. It would also diminish over time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Expro19
I'm going to live my life the way I normally live it. I've been washing my hands since I was a child. I might do it a little more assiduously now. Life has to go on. If I die, I was going to die sometime anyway. I'm prepared.

And look where scientists got us today.. They don't have a clue on the coronavirus...

People who uses common sense has better knowledge than these so called scientists...

Mom know more than scientists - Wash your hands, cover your cough, wipe down every thing with Lysol and get your flu shot...

It won't stop the spread of coronavirus, but it's better preventive measures...
Wow. Are you serious? What has medical science got us? Vaccines for diseases that were once death sentences. Like say smallpox. Heart transplants. Dialysis. It’s a pretty long list. Taking potshots at science like that will somehow make anyone safer is baffling.

Switzerland's Hockey Leagues are now playing in empty rinks.
The Swiss government put a ban on all gatherings over 1,000 people for the purpose and I quote " This is a precaution against the spread of the coronavirus"
France now has banned large indoor gatherings as well.
These governments are taking steps in an attempt to curb the spread of the virus within their borders. I don't see how taking measured and reasonable actions equates to being "wussies".

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id...agues-play-no-fans-amid-outbreak?platform=amp

https://www.france24.com/en/20200229-france-bans-large-public-gatherings-to-slow-coronavirus-spread

Shouldn’t it be up to the fans to attend or not? Is this case of big government telling people what to do vs people taking personal responsibility? There’s almost no interaction between fans and the teams.

EDIT
Or the sponsors may think they will lose money because no one will attend. I wonder how much they depend on the gate and game day purchases vs TV revenue.

Last edited:
^^^^
Be glad that you are not in the unenviable position of some of these public officials who have to weigh whether to cancel or have events continue.
I have to believe none of the decisions can be taken lightly. There is immediate economic impacts weighed against future economic impact and public safety.
No easy answers

On the other hand, I get the flu shot every year and can't remember when I have had the flu. It's a cheap precaution.
Funny thing is I've never had the Flu shot in my life and can't remember the last time I got the flu...meanwhile 2 people I know who got the flu shot this year got the flu...go figure

The point is you're missing the point. Despite the vast number of deaths, the flu has a mortality rate of 0.1%, while CV has a 3.4% mortality rate. You are 34 times more likely to die from it. Your 50,000 would jump to 1,700,000 deaths. Not Spanish Flu numbers, but bad, very bad.

Reactions: winloseortie
^^^^
Be glad that you are not in the unenviable position of some of these public officials who have to weigh whether to cancel or have events continue.
I have to believe none of the decisions can be taken lightly. There is immediate economic impacts weighed against future economic impact and public safety.
No easy answers
You said it. In the case of the NCAA or the local officials where the tournament venues are located, they are in a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation. If you cancel an event in a place like Greenville, that has been looking forward to it for a year, and this all turns out to be a media-driven overreaction, you look like a fool. If you go forward with the event, and the panic-mongers turn out to be right, you end up exposing a huge number of folks to a deadly disease. In either case, there will be a long line of people (none of whom had any actual responsibility) waiting to criticize you. The safest position for anyone to be in is the critical onlooker who doesn't have to bear the responsibility of actual decision-making.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
327,199,310 Americans do not have CV.

690 Americans do have CV.

The hysteria is currently overblown. If in two weeks it jumps to 10,000, maybe time to consider hysteria. But 1/100th of the population is still 3,272,000 people. Warm weather will rapidly diminish the virus before it gets remotely close to the numbers in China. The vast majority of the current 690 have known point of origin for CV, so they are contained from spreading the virus further.

Reactions: BlueCord86
Frank could bring in lots of higher ranked recruits if he would just stop his incessant cussing and ranting at the players. You can yell and scream a whole bunch but it gets to a point ( like the example of him clapping in Jermaine’s face when he made a mistake like a girl). No offense girls:). If you want to sit him down and kneel down and talk to him or yell, fine by me. Frank tries to make our players a spectacle in front of 20,000 people or a national TV audience. That’s OK every now and then also, but not 10 times a game.

There are plenty of good and great recruits who want to be coached hard and pushed to a higher level. Most of your star players do not want to be berated over and over and over on TV. If Frank would tone that down just a tad there’s no telling how far he could take this team. Players will sign up if they know they’re not going to be yanked out of the game the first time they make a mistake. He can also knock down some of the attrition that seems to have been common. We know players are going to come and go from every team these days, but we sure have lots of people leave in the off-season. I think the respect FM has from other coaches and numerous players who have played for him show that he’s a strong character. But again in today’s society we are in my opinion kids are very soft and think everything revolves around them, it will be hard to recruit five star players. Just my two cents.

But I will say this, if an average talent stays all four years with Frank they usually get much better over time. Wonder what he could do with two or three 5 stars? Oh yeah, make the final four.

Reactions: Expro19
The first big crisis of his presidency, and he’s screwing it up as badly as he screwed up his businesses. He is a disgrace to the Presidency. Only concerned with the stock market and his legacy. Pathetic.
What do you libs want him to do find the cure. If he cured cancer y'all would say it was because of Obama.. He's doing fine . You just are blind with hatred. Good luck November. Hope Joe can stay awake.

Vanderbilt just cancelled classes for this week and looks like classes for the remainder of March will be online

Vanderbilt just cancelled classes for this week and looks like classes for the remainder of March will be online

Boston cancels St Patrick Day Parade... I guess Five points is next????

This is getting ridiculous... Last week was Southwest by Southwest was cancelled...

I got news for everyone, this coronavirus thing has been around here for several months...

https://www.wwlp.com/news/breaking-news/bostons-st-patricks-day-parade-canceled/

The point is you're missing the point. Despite the vast number of deaths, the flu has a mortality rate of 0.1%, while CV has a 3.4% mortality rate. You are 34 times more likely to die from it. Your 50,000 would jump to 1,700,000 deaths. Not Spanish Flu numbers, but bad, very bad.

The mortality rate of CV is unknown because of the limited number of tests make the total number of cases unknown.
My wife works in the medical field and every doctor she works with agrees that the media has blown this way out of proportion. It's a virus which causes flu-like symptoms, so wash your hands and use common sense. Turn off the television and speak to a medical professional.

Reactions: curver16
We are living in a time when The media and social media is having way too much influence on everything. Over the past weeks it’s creating panic with the Coronavirus. Do your homework everyone.
Quit being a drive by reader for the news. Quit listening and watching your normal news feeds, and reading only your friends tweets...do yourself a favor and see how you are personally doing in the current economy.
Whether you like this president or not, if you were investing or had a 401k, you were being rewarded. That also means you have a job and either taking care of your family, and not living in your parents basement. If you are doing your homework, you are understanding what social media and the media is doing to your retirement now. Blast me all you want. Social media and the media is influencing young minds like never before. And I will also say the brainwashing young minds get from their teachers / professors every day is ridiculous.
Wake up America!

The first big crisis of his presidency, and he’s screwing it up as badly as he screwed up his businesses. He is a disgrace to the Presidency. Only concerned with the stock market and his legacy. Pathetic.

So.... if global pandemic is a concern, then why would we want policies encouraging more people to cross our borders illegally and released unaccounted for into our country? If Liberals had their way, we'd have thousands more entries each month. During a pandemic.

Great quote from Congressman Dan Crenshaw TX

Kershaw magistrate's court is now cancelling jury trials for the month or at least that's the memo we got. That's a first.

The mortality rate of CV is unknown because of the limited number of tests make the total number of cases unknown.
My wife works in the medical field and every doctor she works with agrees that the media has blown this way out of proportion. It's a virus which causes flu-like symptoms, so wash your hands and use common sense. Turn off the television and speak to a medical professional.
Assuming China is reporting accurately (a bit dubious) the rate has been consistent for the last month around 3.2% and rising 0.5% per week to current 3.4%. The rise being primarily due to South Korea, Italy, and Iran, whose rates appear slightly higher than the rest of the affected countries.

Kershaw magistrate's court is now cancelling jury trials for the month or at least that's the memo we got. That's a first.
I think that's a bit premature, and simply due to the case in Camden, however, as the saying goes "better safe than sorry". I would wait until a case of community spread shows to shut things down. If, repeat, if there isn't another case for two weeks, then that is two weeks lost. Wait until a sign of actual spread to start panicking.

Maybe a beer summit is in order then huh?

That was the lamest, corniest bullshirt I've ever seen. Two guys sitting outside in suits in the July afternoon. A waiter bringing the beers one at a time. Obama sitting there with his jacket off, sleeves rolled up, because he's such a regular guy you know. Then, if I'm not mistaken, Biden shows up after the rest of them to convey the message, "I was finally able to pull myself away from work, but it was so important I be here." And, of course, he has his cuffs unbuttoned and sleeves rolled up a bit, too, because, you know, he's just a regular guy.

That was the lamest, corniest bullshirt I've ever seen. Two guys sitting outside in suits in the July afternoon. A waiter bringing the beers one at a time. Obama sitting there with his jacket off, sleeves rolled up, because he's such a regular guy you know. Then, if I'm not mistaken, Biden shows up after the rest of them to convey the message, "I was finally able to pull myself away from work, but it was so important I be here." And, of course, he has his cuffs unbuttoned and sleeves rolled up a bit, too, because, you know, he's just a regular guy.

I like beer....

Cancel the tournament and hang the banner!!!

WE'RE #1! WE'RE #1! WE'RE #1!

Shouldn’t it be up to the fans to attend or not? Is this case of big government telling people what to do vs people taking personal responsibility? There’s almost no interaction between fans and the teams.

EDIT
Or the sponsors may think they will lose money because no one will attend. I wonder how much they depend on the gate and game day purchases vs TV revenue.
When it comes to public health, not just for an individual, the experts do need to step in and make sure there isn't a widespread pandemic. As of right now, there is no vaccine. With the flu, a substantial number of people get the vaccine, which slows the spread. The only thing that can slow the spread of Coronavirus is keeping as many people as isolated as possible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT