ADVERTISEMENT

There should be some personnel changes in the off-season but NOT Beamer

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
Our regressing offensive performances certainly merit some staff changes in the off-season (the D doesn’t look so great lately either), but we can’t get rid of Beamer. Primarily, who would want the job now? Chadwell probably wouldn’t even take the job. Secondly, we aren’t gonna pay a $7+ million buyout on the heels of paying Muschamp his mega-buyout.

Our wagon is hitched to his star so we just better hope with more time he can make some good off-season personnel moves.

Our regressing offensive performances certainly merit some staff changes in the off-season (the D doesn’t look so great lately either), but we can’t get rid of Beamer. Primarily, who would want the job now? Chadwell probably wouldn’t even take the job. Secondly, we aren’t gonna pay a $7+ million buyout on the heels of paying Muschamp his mega-buyout.

Our wagon is hitched to his star so we just better hope with more time he can make some good off-season personnel moves.
Penny wise, pound foolish.

Yep Chadwell would decline. Why wpuld he now take a step down? He’ll be at somewhere bigger than SC soon.

You just don't want to change your username. ;)

USC wanted to go cheap. Head coach and staff. You get what you pay for. I don't see this ending well, but figure we are stuck with a head coach that nobody else in the SEC would have even considered for at least three years.

The oc can and should be fired. For all the Dabo comparisons, that is what he did (I think it was 2 years in though.)

The big deal is recruiting. A lackluster class, and the hole gets deeper, not shallower going into year 2.

USC wanted to go cheap. Head coach and staff. You get what you pay for. I don't see this ending well, but figure we are stuck with a head coach that nobody else in the SEC would have even considered for at least three years.
If you believe in pedigree, and it plays out often in sports, Shane’s father Frank took over a mess at VT. It took Frank 7 years to Dig VT out of that hole. Once he had his players, and his staff he kept that team in the National conversation for years. We need to show Shane the same patience Tech gave Frank. Honestly, those of you call for Shane and Tanner to be fired just don’t get it.

If you believe in pedigree, and it plays out often in sports, Shane’s father Frank took over a mess at VT. It took Frank 7 years to Dig VT out of that hole. Once he had his players, and his staff he kept that team in the National conversation for years. We need to show Shane the same patience Tech gave Frank. Honestly, those of you call for Shane and Tanner to be fired just don’t get it.

7 years?

I agree you can't fire him this year, and not next year either unless he flat out "loses the team".

But 7 years? No. I think 3 should give an indication of direction. 4 years is plenty.

In regard to the thread question, I don't see Satterfield willing to adjust, so jettison. In fairness Lou had this situation too with Skip, allegedly tried to adjust with no effective results either.

Second for me is whoever is the strength coach. That guy's gotta go. Now.

Thirdly, I'd get a guy that really knows how to get receivers aggressive. Our guys now run great guns til they get to their break and then start tippy-toeing. And I know today's shade du jeur is Jason Brown (who didn't see that coming), but there is NO WAY an aggressive receiver lets the DB catch that fist pick in the end zone uncontested. You can argue Brown shouldn't have thrown it, it WAS double converge, but some of these plays the primary is hell or high water by design. Either way, we desperately need someone to beef up the receiver's game because we're not going to be getting any top shelf receiver recruits any time soon.

Just for clarification, your theory is that pedigree plays out in sports, and so in this case because the father was successful, the fanbase should sit around and wait in the hope that the son will duplicate the same success.
Is that correct ?

In regard to the thread question, I don't see Satterfield willing to adjust, so jettison. In fairness Lou had this situation too with Skip, allegedly tried to adjust with no effective results either.

Second for me is whoever is the strength coach. That guy's gotta go. Now.

Thirdly, I'd get a guy that really knows how to get receivers aggressive. Our guys now run great guns til they get to their break and then start tippy-toeing. And I know today's shade du jeur is Jason Brown (who didn't see that coming), but there is NO WAY an aggressive receiver lets the DB catch that fist pick in the end zone uncontested. You can argue Brown shouldn't have thrown it, it WAS double converge, but some of these plays the primary is hell or high water by design. Either way, we desperately need someone to beef up the receiver's game because we're not going to be getting any top shelf receiver recruits any time soon.
As bad as they have looked sometimes, the receivers have still looked better than last year. As far as the INT in the end zone, it was a poor throw. That ball is supposed to be outside so only your receiver makes the catch or it is out of bounds.

Just for clarification, your theory is that pedigree plays out in sports, and so in this case because the father was successful, the fanbase should sit around and wait in the hope that the son will duplicate the same success.
Is that correct ?
Correct. You’ve got to give him a minimum of 4 years to complete the rebuild. There will always be irrational fans calling for the coaches head, but the hope is the administration will give Coach the time he needs.

• Haha
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

We lost Chadwell with the Beamer hire. In fact, we lost many potential hires with the Beamer hire. Ray’s credibility is shot. It becomes harder for him to hire now. This is what a bad situation that got worse looks like. It’s worse than the Brad Scott aftermath.

We need a coach who has been here long enough to understand every hurdle in his path, because there are many here. Spurrier could have been that but he aged out.

This is what to look for. Does Beamer learn? Will we see moves that suggests he can face down the demons in this mediocre program and create lasting change? It will take years.

I just don’t think we can afford it.

Even if someone externally coughed up the dough, who could we even get?
This is the same shit we heard when we hired Muschamp, that no other coach would want the job, then we heard that we hired Shane because no established coach would come here and he really wanted to be here, yada, yada yada. Isn't it likely that the hiring problems were due to the man doing the hiring? Ray had never hired a coach other than for baseball and was learning on the job. If we had an AD the caliber of Hyman or McGee I expect they would not have settled for what we got.

We need a coach who has been here long enough to understand every hurdle in his path, because there are many here. Spurrier could have been that but he aged out.

This is what to look for. Does Beamer learn? Will we see moves that suggests he can face down the demons in this mediocre program and create lasting change? It will take years.
Beamer is not the guy. Chadwell was the only hope. That too was a bit dicey. But Beamer no. The longer he stays the worse it gets.

Why is Ray sooooo bad at hiring? So obviously bad. If Ray really wanted to turn this around he should have moved Muschamp our earlier and gone after Kiffen. Do I see Ray being that decisive? HELL NO! That is not in his DNA. This is why we dwell in the cellar.

Great leaders are distinguished by the calculated risks they take. Risk and return go hand in hand. on the other hand, administrators (paper pushers) will forever do the ultra safe things and keep you mediocre.

Last edited:
Oh we get it. Just like the gamecocks for it
Last night. You were on here saying we needed to give muschamp more time also. So I’ll pass on your opinion. But thanks for playing

Correct. You’ve got to give him a minimum of 4 years to complete the rebuild. There will always be irrational fans calling for the coaches head, but the hope is the administration will give Coach the time he needs.
Like we gave muschamp 5 years??? Looks like that dumpster fire at Tennessee that lost over 20 players to the transfer portal is doing pretty good.

As bad as they have looked sometimes, the receivers have still looked better than last year. As far as the INT in the end zone, it was a poor throw. That ball is supposed to be outside so only your receiver makes the catch or it is out of bounds.
True enough, but that was not my point. Similar to the one that White hot potatoed for a pick, in a perfect world all throws will be perfect. But the happenings in football games are often not perfect; in that event a player who is able to make a play has to do it; Vann himself has done it before. He may be still gimpy so he gets a pass (no pun intended).

Oh we get it. Just like the gamecocks for it
Last night. You were on here saying we needed to give muschamp more time also. So I’ll pass on your opinion. But thanks for playing
Tanner has been here more years than he should be. Each year we have gotten worse. You don’t get it do you?

7 years?

I agree you can't fire him this year, and not next year either unless he flat out "loses the team".

But 7 years? No. I think 3 should give an indication of direction. 4 years is plenty.
We will know at the end of 3 years if we are going in the right direction or not.

VT was not in the SEC. They weren’t even in the ACC. They played a bunch of mediocre teams. Shane Beamer was placed in the toughest conference with the highest level of coaching and best recruiting. Beamer hired a bunch of G5 coaches and he has less talent. The coaching staffs in the SEC really don’t GAS who his daddy was. They will hand him his head on a platter. Beamer will need to have more talent in order to compete with lesser coaching.

We will know at the end of 3 years if we are going in the right direction or not.
Agree. If he is recruiting in the top 1/2 of the conference, he can build. If recruiting is in the bottom 1/3, then the writing is on the wall. 3 classes tells you where you are heading.

You are still on the give it ....... 3 years.

We are floundering right now, you cannot even short-sell Ray as a stock (no value). By the time 3 years arrives, football would have effectively reached the status of unsalvageable. In essence, we may not have gotten the direct death penalty from the NCAA like SMU, but in effect we have indirectly got the "death penalty". Death Penalty Ray has taken care of that. Very few ADs could claim that title.

You are still on the give it ....... 3 years.

We are floundering right now, you cannot even short-sell Ray as a stock (no value). By the time 3 years arrives, football would have effectively reached the status of unsalvageable. In essence, we may not have gotten the direct death penalty from the NCAA like SMU, but in effect we have indirectly got the "death penalty". Death Penalty Ray has taken care of that. Very few ADs could claim that title.
BS. You’ve been on the fire Beamer train since his hiring was announced. He deserves 3 years to fix this program.

Reactions: Robhawk29
BS. You’ve been on the fire Beamer train since his hiring was announced. He deserves 3 years to fix this program.
Right now we are playing like a team that has been sanctioned by the NCAA death penalty this past 7 years. That is about the same time Ray started as AD. DP Ray put a nail in our coffin when he took over and has been adding nails every year. No chance to get out. When he had the chance to hire Chadwell, he hires Shane. Talk about departing for New York and ending up in Los Angeles. There would be some hope with Chadwell.

And you think Shane will bail us out? Get a clue. Get some football sense, instead of this irrational loyalty to a coach. He is not even getting the resources to get a proven or upcoming OC. We get Satterfield! Satterfield!

Right now we are playing like a team that has been sanctioned by the NCAA death penalty this past 7 years. That is about the same time Ray started as AD. DP Ray put a nail in our coffin when he took over and has been adding nails every year. No chance to get out. When he had the chance to hire Chadwell, he hires Shane. Talk about departing for New York and ending up in Los Angeles. There would be some hope with Chadwell.

And you think Shane will bail us out? Get a clue. Get some football sense, instead of this irrational loyalty to a coach. He is not even getting the resources to get a proven or upcoming OC. We get Satterfield! Satterfield!
Chadwell would struggle here this year as well. He’s not the savior you claim he is.

VT was not in the SEC. They weren’t even in the ACC. They played a bunch of mediocre teams. Shane Beamer was placed in the toughest conference with the highest level of coaching and best recruiting. Beamer hired a bunch of G5 coaches and he has less talent. The coaching staffs in the SEC really don’t GAS who his daddy was. They will hand him his head on a platter. Beamer will need to have more talent in order to compete with lesser coaching.
Amen!

I think it’s pretty simple. If we are heading in the right direction then he gets more time, if not we move on.

I agree. I just think youll see this off-season the disconnect over "right direction .

Some will claim obvious improvement, but list intangibles as the main improvement. Otheres will claim those same intangibles show no improvement. Each side will call the other stupid for not seeing it their way.

I personally think a golden retriever with a pulse could sell this team to enough recruits to get to bowl eligibility in 3 years. But I think some will claim that is a monumental feat, worthy of putting Shane on mount Rushmore.

In other words, I don't think it will be obvious at all after three years and "more time" will become the mantra again.

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT