ADVERTISEMENT

This basketball player should be banned for life and also shows that referees really don't have a

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
good eye on catching plays while looking around...

How this referee, standing nearby the play didn't automatically react and call a technical foul and eject the player all in one call...

http://www.lowellsun.com/breakingne...ll-player-suspended-over-vicious-hit-opponent

ITCHBURG - Nichols College sophomore guard and Tewksbury native Nate Tenaglia calmly shot a wide-open 3-pointer from the corner on Tuesday night during his team's season opener at Fitchburg State.

He held his follow-through and watched the ball fall through the net. Then, out of nowhere, he was victimized by what many are calling one of the dirtiest plays in recent college basketball memory.

The vicious incident happened with less than three minutes remaining.

Video footage shows Fitchburg State's Kewan Platt jogging up to Tenaglia after he buried the 3-pointer and clocking him with a brutal right elbow to the face that knocked the unsuspecting Tenaglia down hard to the court and had him writhing in pain as he covered his face with his hands. That video has gone viral and received national attention.

Platt was hit with his second technical foul of the game and was ejected. On Wednesday, Fitchburg State announced that he had been suspended from the team and barred from campus.

Fitchburg State student Clayton Rodriguez, also a criminal justice major, said he has the same Latin American studies class as Platt.

The class met Wednesday, the day after FSU played Nichols College, he said.

A police officer pulled Platt out of the class at about 1:30 p.m., according to Rodriguez.

"The cops came and yanked him out of class today, I was like, shocked," he said, on his way to the Recreation Center. "The cops were like, 'can you come here' and they took him and he didn't come back anymore. They had a report in their hand so I assume it was because of the incident."

Rodriguez, who attended Tuesday's game, said he agreed Platt deserved to be booted off the team, but said his expulsion was a step too far.

"It's his education, OK, just punish him and kick him off the team, make a public announcement, say sorry, but consider his education, because education's important," he said.

This snow flake doesn't get it... When you assault someone, police are called, you're arrested and you suffer the consequences of your actions...

Being on the team on and on a scholar is a privilege, not a right... We're talking about assault and battery...

What if a student beats up or kills another student??? Does this snow flake believe this student should still go to school????

Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/breakingne...ended-over-vicious-hit-opponent#ixzz5WvKAR0HL

He too is a college kid and likely lacks the life experience/exposure to see it any other way....I bet at least 25% of college students would agree with him (maybe more?)

That's a sad case...

It's one thing coming at the player with a hard foul, but to blatantly use your elbow to the head after the play is over is down right criminal intentions...

I will say, back in the days of the ACC, Carolina and Maryland games ended in fist fights, but that was expected...

We live in a snow flake world on how we should play sports, especially football...

I still trust that once most college kids get out in the real world, start making money, start owning property, and start having a family they tend to come back to a place of reality with some of thier "grand ideals" they had in college.
Might not mean they all turn from liberal to conservative minded on everything but most people come back to the center even though they'll lean one way or the other.

My guess on what happened here:
#23 in white was probably getting dogged all game from this scrappy player and finally had enough. #23 misses a 3 at the other end of the court and clearly wasnt fouled but turns to the ref and complains about something (tells you he's frustrated).
Then scrappy dude goes down to the other end and gets lost in the corner and nails a 3.
I've seen a lot of guys not know how to handle that scrappy type D.....the kind where the dude just hounds you all game long. Ive experienced it before and its maddening as hell but that response was clearly way over the line.

good eye on catching plays while looking around...

How this referee, standing nearby the play didn't automatically react and call a technical foul and eject the player all in one call...

http://www.lowellsun.com/breakingne...ll-player-suspended-over-vicious-hit-opponent

ITCHBURG - Nichols College sophomore guard and Tewksbury native Nate Tenaglia calmly shot a wide-open 3-pointer from the corner on Tuesday night during his team's season opener at Fitchburg State.

He held his follow-through and watched the ball fall through the net. Then, out of nowhere, he was victimized by what many are calling one of the dirtiest plays in recent college basketball memory.

The vicious incident happened with less than three minutes remaining.

Video footage shows Fitchburg State's Kewan Platt jogging up to Tenaglia after he buried the 3-pointer and clocking him with a brutal right elbow to the face that knocked the unsuspecting Tenaglia down hard to the court and had him writhing in pain as he covered his face with his hands. That video has gone viral and received national attention.

Platt was hit with his second technical foul of the game and was ejected. On Wednesday, Fitchburg State announced that he had been suspended from the team and barred from campus.

Fitchburg State student Clayton Rodriguez, also a criminal justice major, said he has the same Latin American studies class as Platt.

The class met Wednesday, the day after FSU played Nichols College, he said.

A police officer pulled Platt out of the class at about 1:30 p.m., according to Rodriguez.

"The cops came and yanked him out of class today, I was like, shocked," he said, on his way to the Recreation Center. "The cops were like, 'can you come here' and they took him and he didn't come back anymore. They had a report in their hand so I assume it was because of the incident."

Rodriguez, who attended Tuesday's game, said he agreed Platt deserved to be booted off the team, but said his expulsion was a step too far.

"It's his education, OK, just punish him and kick him off the team, make a public announcement, say sorry, but consider his education, because education's important," he said.

This snow flake doesn't get it... When you assault someone, police are called, you're arrested and you suffer the consequences of your actions...

Being on the team on and on a scholar is a privilege, not a right... We're talking about assault and battery...

What if a student beats up or kills another student??? Does this snow flake believe this student should still go to school????

Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/breakingne...ended-over-vicious-hit-opponent#ixzz5WvKAR0HL
The ref under the basket is looking the other way, at the section of the court he is responsible for watching. You fail to mention the ref at the bottom middle of the video immediately stopping play and making an intentional foul signal. Watch until the end, after making sure nothing else was going to happen, he sends teams to their benches.He made the call because that was the part of the floor he was responsible for. All 3 refs aren’t going to see everything that happens on the floor because each has a different responsibility on where they are looking.

The ref under the basket is looking the other way, at the section of the court he is responsible for watching. You fail to mention the ref at the bottom middle of the video immediately stopping play and making an intentional foul signal. Watch until the end, after making sure nothing else was going to happen, he sends teams to their benches.He made the call because that was the part of the floor he was responsible for. All 3 refs aren’t going to see everything that happens on the floor because each has a different responsibility on where they are looking.

I saw it...

The referee didn't run up to the players immediately eject that one player... He just stood directing traffic like a traffic cop...

Actually the refs did their job here. School as well as player has been suspended indefinitely. He has been banned from the school’s campus and removed from the website.

Referee was watching under the basket. The ref at mid-court made the call. No ref in their right mind, who should be looking at the actudion under the basket in case of s rebound would be watching that corner of the court that long after a shot is released.

In fact nobody was watching, which is why there wasn’t s full blown brawl. If the players had seen this happen all hell would’ve broken loose.

Last edited:
I still trust that once most college kids get out in the real world, start making money, start owning property, and start having a family they tend to come back to a place of reality with some of thier "grand ideals" they had in college.
Might not mean they all turn from liberal to conservative minded on everything but most people come back to the center even though they'll lean one way or the other.
I became far more conservative once I went to work for a living.

I saw it...

The referee didn't run up to the players immediately eject that one player... He just stood directing traffic like a traffic cop...
He wasn’t suppose to immediately eject the player. Play was stopped, ref looked like he was making sure nothing else happened, like benches clearing. Once he knew the situation wasn’t escalating, he correctly directed teams to their bench. Then the refs would get together and determine who did what and if one saw something different. The player was ejected and the refs did their jobs correctly.

Reactions: Carolina4
I didn’t do a good job of saying all that did I? Ref comment was finished. Then decided to elaborate in 2nd paragraph. I promise I’m not that dumb! Gotta edit that one.
I knew exactly what you meant, and I think he did too.

Did he have money on the game? Last Boy Scout anyone?

8Ppa.gif

He wasn’t suppose to immediately eject the player. Play was stopped, ref looked like he was making sure nothing else happened, like benches clearing. Once he knew the situation wasn’t escalating, he correctly directed teams to their bench. Then the refs would get together and determine who did what and if one saw something different. The player was ejected and the refs did their jobs correctly.

Whatever...

If a swimmer did something unprofessional in or out of the pool, they would be yanked out so fast, the water on the body wouldn't have time to drip off...

Reactions: Proudcock
My guess on what happened here:
#23 in white was probably getting dogged all game from this scrappy player and finally had enough. #23 misses a 3 at the other end of the court and clearly wasnt fouled but turns to the ref and complains about something (tells you he's frustrated).
Then scrappy dude goes down to the other end and gets lost in the corner and nails a 3.
I've seen a lot of guys not know how to handle that scrappy type D.....the kind where the dude just hounds you all game long. Ive experienced it before and its maddening as hell but that response was clearly way over the line.
The morning after this happened, the video was all over Twitter. Someone posted another video from the other end of the court where the kid who got punched was guarding the assailant. This kid was shooting a 3 and the other kid just basically played good D on him and the shot was missed. The "perp" turned to the ref and you could see him agitated like he was asking for a call. So, apparently you're right. The white kid got in his head and he lost his $#!%.

Yeah, this type of thing has to be dealt with harshly. And I'm guessing this probably was just the final straw. Most people don't go from zero to savage in a single basketball game.

I bet a lot of posters hated the Bad Boys Piston teams. I loved it when Basketball had Enforcers. Now everybody has turned soft wanting to press charges.

I bet a lot of posters hated the Bad Boys Piston teams. I loved it when Basketball had Enforcers. Now everybody has turned soft wanting to press charges.
I liked it a lot more when Jordan and the Bulls knocked off The World's Toughest Team...and the Pistons put their tails between their legs, left the court before the game ended, and sulked their way back to the locker room.

Everyone's a tough guy when its easy.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I liked it a lot more when Jordan and the Bulls knocked off The World's Toughest Team...and the Pistons put their tails between their legs, left the court before the game ended, and sulked their way back to the locker room.

Everyone's a tough guy when its easy.
But you agree Basketball was much better when it was a physical game with Enforcer's. The Davis Boys, Charles Oakley Anthony Davis, Rick Mahorne Bill laimbeer, Scott Williams Stacy king. The eastern conference playoffs were great. Now the NBA is soft.

But you agree Basketball was much better when it was a physical game with Enforcer's. The Davis Boys, Charles Oakley Anthony Davis, Rick Mahorne Bill laimbeer, Scott Williams Stacy king. The eastern conference playoffs were great. Now the NBA is soft.

Completely agree. Having said that, I stopped watching the NBA when MJ retired for good. Saw everything there was to see. Ever. But now, from the brief highlights I see from time to time, they just stand around and drain 3's. No defense. No touching. Sad.

I would prefer something in between. I don't care for the rules of the current era, and the way in discourages defense and post-offense. If I wanted to watch 6'10 "stretch 4s" shoot corner 3s, I would watch European basketball..
However, I also hated the modified football rules that governed the NBA in the early- to mid-90s. No one wanted to watch 76-72 games in the conference finals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT