ADVERTISEMENT

This is what happens when you make Pastides chair of NCAA BOD

Re: This is what happens when you make Pastides chair of NCAA comittee

The more important news is, hopefully the NCAA will stay off our back now for awhile.

Oh yeah... talk about opening a can of worms... just wait until the Title IX folks get going on the "inequities of student athlete pay"... and sue the NCAA and "Power Five" conferences... That ought to be an absolute laugh riot...

Something about the old saying... "the love of money is the root of all evil".... that comes to mind...

Well my vision for change doesn't have Title IX issues: 1. The power 5 leaves the NCAA and forms their own legislative body that forms new rules. 2. Double the stipend or more for all student athletes. 3. Increase athletic scholarships for all sports. 4. provide better and equal benefits for all student-athletes.

The NCAA has a monopoly on College Athletics. It should be broken up in my opinion.

You do realize the NCAA is made up of member schools and all regulations are passed by member schools. It is not an independent organization that the schools agreed to let run college athletics. All of the current rules the NCAA has were approved by the presidents of member schools, so how do they have a monopoly on college athletics?

I do agree that the power 5 should be able to implement rules for the larger schools without schools with smaller budgets voting against them. However, where do you propose even the power 5 schools get the money to implement your vision? At USC revenue for the 2013-14 year was around $84m, expenditures were over $75m, athletic department debt stands at close to $122m. With the current proposal to provide cost of attendance the projection is it will add between 1-2m to expenditures. So you want to double that and increase the value of athletic scholarships. Combined that would put the budget in the red for USC. Those are just the figures for USC, there are a lot of schools in the power 5 that already operate in the red or close to breaking even. Where do you propose they find money to pay for your plan?

Originally posted by TriumphCock:
Oh yeah... talk about opening a can of worms... just wait until the Title IX folks get going on the "inequities of student athlete pay"... and sue the NCAA and "Power Five" conferences... That ought to be an absolute laugh riot...
My understanding is that the women's sports will get a proportionate amount, so what would the Title IX lawsuit be based on?

I think the girl playing the least watched sport will get the same thing an all-American football player gets. If not, they will be getting sued before the sun comes up tomorrow. I really am not sure how I feel abiut all this. On one hand you feel for kids that come from nothing and don't have enough cash in their pocket to go get a pizza. But on the other hand I fear that once you Crack the door a myriad of problems will follow and you will never get it shut again.

Also, Sand Volleyball will have an NCAA Championship starting in 2016....I'll be watching.

Originally posted by Kmart84:
You do realize the NCAA is made up of member schools and all regulations are passed by member schools. It is not an independent organization that the schools agreed to let run college athletics. All of the current rules the NCAA has were approved by the presidents of member schools, so how do they have a monopoly on college athletics?

I do agree that the power 5 should be able to implement rules for the larger schools without schools with smaller budgets voting against them. However, where do you propose even the power 5 schools get the money to implement your vision? At USC revenue for the 2013-14 year was around $84m, expenditures were over $75m, athletic department debt stands at close to $122m. With the current proposal to provide cost of attendance the projection is it will add between 1-2m to expenditures. So you want to double that and increase the value of athletic scholarships. Combined that would put the budget in the red for USC. Those are just the figures for USC, there are a lot of schools in the power 5 that already operate in the red or close to breaking even. Where do you propose they find money to pay for your plan?
With TV deals there is plenty of money. It's called revenue sharing.These schools spend the money not because they have bills to pay but they have obligations to spend that money on further it's academic mission which allows them to be charitable institutions. This is just a different way to spend the money for that cause while schools scale back a bit on the damn arms race for the best facilities. The Power 5 schools would also no longer be paying squat for the schools NOT in the power 5. No scholarship or anything. Those schools would be on their own. The Power 5 gets all the money The Power % makes and shares it only with the Power 5. That is where the money will come from.

This post was edited on 1/18 3:47 PM by ReadR00ster

Why does Title IX constanty complain about equality for women's sports

yet they all mooch off the money that men's football and basketball make? Why shouldn't Title IX sports have to raise their own money? I would love for some Title IX lawyer to explain that to me.

Originally posted by Mox94:
I think the girl playing the least watched sport will get the same thing an all-American football player gets. If not, they will be getting sued before the sun comes up tomorrow. I really am not sure how I feel abiut all this. On one hand you feel for kids that come from nothing and don't have enough cash in their pocket to go get a pizza. But on the other hand I fear that once you Crack the door a myriad of problems will follow and you will never get it shut again.
You're absolutely right. When 85,000 screaming fans show up to watch the women's collegiate sewing circle team cross-stitch their way to victory, then maybe they should get that stipend....

Otherwise, stipends should be reserved for the revenue sports. Make money, get money. And before some new-age lib-activist comes on and starts throwing SAT prep words at me, let me just say: I didn't make the rules. Capitalism is a wonderful thing. People pay for what they are interested in watching. Hint: by-and-large, it ain't title IX sports.

Re: Why does Title IX constanty complain about equality for women's sports

Originally posted by IrmoGamecock:
yet they all mooch off the money that men's football and basketball make? Why shouldn't Title IX sports have to raise their own money? I would love for some Title IX lawyer to explain that to me.
Because the school is obligated to. It doesn't matter where the money comes from. It's completely irrelevant to the issue of ensuring equality in educational opportunities in between the sexes. It doesn't entitle the players of those sports to more money. It's just a means to an ends. A good ends.

Originally posted by Kmart84:

The money is already being spent (to maintain non profit status) in the arms race of college sports on leather chairs, mohoggany lockers, xboxs, etc.

Originally posted by CofCougar08:
You're absolutely right. When 85,000 screaming fans show up to watch the women's collegiate sewing circle team cross-stitch their way to victory, then maybe they should get that stipend....

Otherwise, stipends should be reserved for the revenue sports. Make money, get money. And before some new-age lib-activist comes on and starts throwing SAT prep words at me, let me just say: I didn't make the rules. Capitalism is a wonderful thing. People pay for what they are interested in watching. Hint: by-and-large, it ain't title IX sports.
In some ways capitalism is good, but it's also selfish and greedy. Those who throw comments out like the above are only concerned about making money.

Originally posted by cockhornleghorn:

Originally posted by CofCougar08:

In some ways capitalism is good, but it's also selfish and greedy. Those who throw comments out like the above are only concerned about making money.Why is this so hard for people to understand?

That is why there are non-for profit institutions like universities. People don't seem to get that Non-profit institutions are allowed to make profit. Making a profit just can not be it's primary purpose. The primary purpose of a university, which is a non-profit business, is to further education. They money for improving their university and improving educational opportunities. That is why they give scholarships to student athletes in non revenue sports. That is why they give them scholarships and don't simply hand them a pay check. Universities are doing this so that can get some gifted athletes to sit their rear ends in a classroom. Now if a young person being offered that opportunity doesn't appreciate the academic opportunity and are all about playing their chosen sport in front of a large audience, that is not the fault of the University. That is a perk of the deal. That is not the substance of the deal. The deal is to get an expense paid education. The scholarship is not some kind of compensation because you put in time on a field or a court and the school makes money. The scholarship is offered because the scholarship is the entire point of even having the sport in the first place.

Now if you want to talk about pay based on profits earned. That doesn't even work in the for-profit business world. For example: say a company makes Gizmos and Sprockets. Gizmos make 200 times more profits than the Sprockets are making. That doesn't mean all the workers in the Gizmo factory make 200 times as much as the workers in the Sprocket factory.
This post was edited on 1/19 4:47 PM by ReadR00ster

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT