ADVERTISEMENT

This weird aberration of Kentucky beating us needs to come to an end

paleoorthocock

Dec 14, 2004
this year. I'm all for letting the hoy polloi have their moment, but, honestly, I think it's time we get back to smacking them around like we did for a confound decade. What a surreal irritant that has been. Methinks this year things return to normal in that series.

That is all. Carry on.

this year. I'm all for letting the hoy polloi have their moment, but, honestly, I think it's time we get back to smacking them around like we did for a confound decade. What a surreal irritant that has been. Methinks this year things return to normal in that series.

That is all. Carry on.

Freudian obsession, ”more ky” he screamed.

Amen. I have an unusual hatred for Kentucky that actually surpasses pretty much any other team in the SEC believe it or not. Stems from a road trip there in 1997 where they were ahead early, but we came back and stomped their asses, mainly on the back (legs) of Duce. They were a bunch of assholes and remind me more of Ohio people than southerners.

Favorite part of that trip was a couple hillbillies in the back of a pickup truck after the game cussing at us and yelling "wait till roundbawl!!" I always wondered what they were doing when we took them down on senior day in Rupp to take the SEC in "roundbawl" that year.

Amen. I have an unusual hatred for Kentucky that actually surpasses pretty much any other team in the SEC believe it or not. Stems from a road trip there in 1997 where they were ahead early, but we came back and stomped their asses, mainly on the back (legs) of Duce. They were a bunch of assholes and remind me more of Ohio people than southerners.

Favorite part of that trip was a couple hillbillies in the back of a pickup truck after the game cussing at us and yelling "wait till roundbawl!!" I always wondered what they were doing when we took them down on senior day in Rupp to take the SEC in "roundbawl" that year.
Can you predict when we will beat them in roundball again? I think we will within two years, IMHO.

I agree that the trend needs to end, but I need some convincing that this year will be any different. I know we get them at home, and I think their phenom running back graduated, but I need more than that to be optimistic.

You are so right about UK fans. The worst fan experiences I have had in the SEC have come in Lexington. Not Athens, not Knoxville...but Lexington, KY. For some strange reason, though, I still enjoy going up there.

That is all. Carry on.
But U.K. will indeed kick our butts this year. They get up for the game, and our players don’t seem to care.

No excuse for this current streak. Of course they were probably saying something similar when we had 10 straight going from 2000-2009.

Reactions: vehemon
But U.K. will indeed kick our butts this year. They get up for the game, and our players don’t seem to care.
They might not recruit as well as USC but they coach better. See the Va game as an example of the team and staff not caring about winning or the faithful fans. Hope this season gives me reason to be more positive. We will see against UNC.

Reactions: agantt and Zann77
It was only a "weird aberration" the first year of this ignoble streak. The last four years, they have physically manhandled us. They have played tough, hard-nosed football. Our team has acted like our fans. They expect the win just by showing up because the opponent is "just Kentucky."

We will get it when we want it more than them and put forth the physical effort at ALL positions. That said, Brandon Snell has owned us in the red zone.

It was only a "weird aberration" the first year of this ignoble streak. The last four years, they have physically manhandled us. They have played tough, hard-nosed football. Our team has acted like our fans. They expect the win just by showing up because the opponent is "just Kentucky."

We will get it when we want it more than them and put forth the physical effort at ALL positions. That said, Brandon Snell has owned us in the red zone.

I agree. The first year they beat us it was like "huh, we're not supposed to lose to UK. Guess that means we'll get them next year." When we lost the second year, making it a streak, it was like "really weird, we're definitely not supposed to lose 2 in a row to them. that means we'll absolutely beat them next year b/c UK does not beat us 3 years in a row." Then they beat us a 3rd year...then a 4th....then a 5th.

The funny thing is, you still have fans who are adamant that we're better than UK. The last 4 seasons and now this season there are all sorts of reasons why fans think it's readily apparent that we'll be beat them THIS year.

Reactions: agantt and sgacock
The dynamics have shifted. Our fans turning up our noses at UK and treating them with disregard is like UT fans doing the same to us. Yes, UT absolutely dominated us in every way imaginable through 2004. Since then, we lead the series 8-6. That's 14 years of more or less being evenly matched. 14 years isn't a fluke.

No matter how the game with UK turns out this year, they will win the decade either 7-3 or 6-4.

Reactions: wildcatwolverine
KY's continued success might produce CWM's pink slip. I've been wanting to believe in Muschamp as each of the past three seasons progressed...until the Kensucky loss. After the loss, I'm tuning in to the games (can't help myself), but I'm not expecting much from that point forward. The UK losses totally SUCK the wind out of my sail. If we lose again this year--I'll be ready for a change. Compare the recruiting and the football facilities. No good excuse for this to keep happening!

KY's continued success might produce CWM's pink slip. I've been wanting to believe in Muschamp as each of the past three seasons progressed...until the Kensucky loss. After the loss, I'm tuning in to the games (can't help myself), but I'm not expecting much from that point forward. The UK losses totally SUCK the wind out of my sail. If we lose again this year--I'll be ready for a change. Compare the recruiting and the football facilities. No good excuse for this to keep happening!

We should hopefully enter the UK game 3-1 (best case). If we lose and come out 3-2, it could cause a spiral as our next 3 games are tough ones at UGA, vs UF and at UT. We could easily go from 3-1 to 3-5.

It's an important win psychologically for everyone. Fans. Players. Coaches. Recruits.

Reactions: gamecockblack

You finally had an aberration in basketball. Unlike Kentucky winning several in a row in football.

Reactions: WayneinSarasota

I'm surprised at the lack of football knowledge here. I get the fanbase getting mad about losing to KY, b/c USC generally does average better recruiting rankings (if one believes in the star systems that the services use) and also I know that UK is not a good football brand. But, people here act like UK is far behind USC in football and that's just not the case. UK poured hundreds of millions of dollars into facilities and coaching staff (most recent rankings had UK ranked 13 in the country in facilities). UK football history is comparable to that of USC (worse in that USC has won the east; better in that UK actually has some major bowl victories and has won the SEC twice in its history).

I do think it's an anamoly that UK beats USC five times in a row, but it's a larger anomaly for USC to beat UK ten times in a row. This should probably be an evenly matched series more often than not.

I agree the crap must end. But I would never call a 5 spot an aberration. They have been kicking our ass.
I would concede 2 of the 5 games we got whooped.

2017 (Deebo hurt early... already had 122 yards) We were set to dominate this game and every conceivable 'ball' bounced Kentucky's way.

2016 both teams were extremely extremely bad... we just happen to be much worse that game.

2014 Dylan was a great QB but had his worse game of the year. 3 Interceptions and our horrible defense couldn't keep us on top. Total yards for the game was 500 USC, 447 Kentucky. We were up 38 24 with 8:06 when Jojo Kemp shows how gassed our defense was. (and horrible play calling at the end)

I'm surprised at the lack of football knowledge here. I get the fanbase getting mad about losing to KY, b/c USC generally does average better recruiting rankings (if one believes in the star systems that the services use) and also I know that UK is not a good football brand. But, people here act like UK is far behind USC in football and that's just not the case. UK poured hundreds of millions of dollars into facilities and coaching staff (most recent rankings had UK ranked 13 in the country in facilities). UK football history is comparable to that of USC (worse in that USC has won the east; better in that UK actually has some major bowl victories and has won the SEC twice in its history).

I do think it's an anamoly that UK beats USC five times in a row, but it's a larger anomaly for USC to beat UK ten times in a row. This should probably be an evenly matched series more often than not.
No need to attack me, brother. It's abundantly clear that you're far smarter than me when it comes to football knowledge. Yet, I stand by what I said. Our recruiting classes have been rated consistently higher (year after year after year). And our facilities (Kroger Field seats 61,000, while WB seats 80,250) are indeed superior. Which leaves me kind of wondering, where is my football knowledge so inferior to yours? Hmmm. Me thinks you have thought too highly of your self. South Carolina should be beating the KenSucky--most of the time.

No need to attack me, brother. It's abundantly clear that you're far smarter than me when it comes to football knowledge. Yet, I stand by what I said. Our recruiting classes have been rated consistently higher (year after year after year). And our facilities (Kroger Field seats 61,000, while WB seats 80,250) are indeed superior. Which leaves me kind of wondering, where is my football knowledge so inferior to yours? Hmmm. Me thinks you have thought too highly of your self. South Carolina should be beating the KenSucky--most of the time.

There are really 2 aberrations: their 5 game win streak and our 10 game win streak. If you take those away, the series is tied 7-7-1.

You said "compare the recruiting and the facilities". You didn't say "compare the recruiting and seating capacity". UK facilities are excellent.

You're entitled to your opinion as a fan, but the facts don't suggest that South Carolina should be beating "Kensucky" most of the time. The series was evenish after USC's entry into the SEC. USC had an aberration of a ten year run (guided by hall of fame coaches while UK recovered from probation early in that decade), and now UK is having an aberration of a 5 year run. Histories are similar (you could make an argument for either school having the better tradition).

Good luck this year!

I have never been more disgusted with our no-talent-ass-clown team as when the little guy continually ran it up the middle on us and we couldnt do a damn thing to stop it. I know this probably happened multiple years but there was one year it was particularly humilliating.

You said "compare the recruiting and the facilities". You didn't say "compare the recruiting and seating capacity". UK facilities are excellent.

You're entitled to your opinion as a fan, but the facts don't suggest that South Carolina should be beating "Kensucky" most of the time. The series was evenish after USC's entry into the SEC. USC had an aberration of a ten year run (guided by hall of fame coaches while UK recovered from probation early in that decade), and now UK is having an aberration of a 5 year run. Histories are similar (you could make an argument for either school having the better tradition).

Good luck this year!
Losing to KY is not acceptable. It’ll get you FIRED at just about every SEC school, with the exception of Vanderbilt. If Muschamp loses to KY 5 times, he’s toast. Gamecocks frequently recruit classes ranked in the low top twenty. UK’s classes avg. mid 30’s. That’s a gap my friend. Hats off to the Cats winning the last few. But it’s not going to be allowed to continue. That kind of crap will not be permitted to continue. We will right the ship this year, or find a new skipper.

Good luck this year!

I gotta ask. Have you seen both ours and theirs? I have. SC blows them away in facilities. I will say thank goodness KY finally remodeled that erector set of a stadium. It’s actually better than Vandy’s now.

Reactions: heavycock
I have never been more disgusted with our no-talent-ass-clown team as when the little guy continually ran it up the middle on us and we couldnt do a damn thing to stop it. I know this probably happened multiple years but there was one year it was particularly humilliating.
Didn't they run a jet sweep 96 times in one game and USC could do nothing about it?
Losing to KY is not acceptable. It’ll get you FIRED at just about every SEC school, with the exception of Vanderbilt. If Muschamp loses to KY 5 times, he’s toast. Gamecocks frequently recruit classes ranked in the low top twenty. UK’s classes avg. mid 30’s. That’s a gap my friend. Hats off to the Cats winning the last few. But it’s not going to be allowed to continue. That kind of crap will not be permitted to continue. We will right the ship this year, or find a new skipper.
Losing to USC will get you fired, too.:)
I agree with last sentence of your post. Will has gotta show whether he's got it or not this year. If USC could win games with coaches' words, we would be undefeated and stomping that ugly school up north.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter

I've been a Gamecock fan since 1968 and have never expected any Gamecock team to win just by showing up.

Reactions: wildcatwolverine
I've been a Gamecock fan since 1968 and have never expected any Gamecock team to win just by showing up.
I became an avid fan in 1967 when Dietzel was coach who turned out to be a huge disappointment. Think he was partially responsible for USC leaving the ACC which should give you an idea of how he used that gray matter. He was gonna make USC an independent power house.

That is all. Carry on.

Be physical on both lines of scrimmage and be sound on special teams

I became an avid fan in 1967 when Dietzel was coach who turned out to be a huge disappointment. Think he was partially responsible for USC leaving the ACC which should give you an idea of how he used that gray matter. He was gonna make USC an independent power house.

He also replaced our college fight song with a Broadway show tune. Fitting that a dude with a losing record got to ruin our fight song.

Second only to the hiring of Brad Scott as worst decision in our program's history.

Jojo “I’m tired coach” Kemp. Dude actually wanted to come out and the coaches told him to keep going.

What irked me last year was Kentucky seemed more motivated by the “no respect” angle than our guys at the “got whipped 4 yrs straight” angle.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
5 years is not an aberration. There is 0 reason for us to expect a win this year, especially with this staff. Effort, toughness, discipline? Start at the top. The bowl game was more Lost, Dazed, and Confused. Pi$$es me off still to think about it. How we can write off winning our last game of the season with what’s going on up there is mind blowing. News flash. Recruits notice. All you can do is win the games you play. There is no reason to have confidence in this staff until they prove otherwise, and win ANY game they shouldn’t. UT and Michigan were 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Don't care about all the "stuff" in this thread. To me this game is a real test of where our program stands pure and simple. That's all I care about. Win it and we have improved. Lose it and we are not as high as Ky. in the middle of the pack in the SEC.

Reactions: gamecockblack

For a change, I don't think the team "expected" to win last year, however, I think they intended to win in an upset, but got yet another rude awakening.

Hoping for better play by us and worse play by them, without Snell.
Btw, the old SO crew have a new home at fifth quarter.

Reactions: sgacock
5 years is not an aberration. There is 0 reason for us to expect a win this year, especially with this staff. Effort, toughness, discipline? Start at the top. The bowl game was more Lost, Dazed, and confused. Pi$$es me off still to think about it. How we can write off winning our last game of the season with what’s going on up there, is mind blowing. News flash. Recruits notice. All you can do is win the games you play. There is no reason to have confidence in this staff until they prove otherwise, and win ANY game they shouldn’t. UT and Michigan were 3 years ago.
Somewhat harsh but I have to admit I agree with you especially about bowl game. If USC bowls this year, I hope someone will ask Will if he and staff take it seriously(fans sure do)and if they are gonna motto that We Will Not Be Outworked. Am so disappointed about FB. Have had months to stew about bowl game and I hope the team and FB staff did the same.
Dietzel got eight years. A wasted eight years. If Will doesn't improve this year, I wonder what will happen? Fla didn't wait too long before they realized he wasn't the right fit. A poor lackadaisical showing against UNC and the torches and pitch forks may be out. I want so much to STH up about this. Hope I get a reason to.

Let's see if the facts hold up to the streak being an aberration.

My opinion? We're pretty much close as programs...you all are slightly ahead all-time. Steve Spurrier owned us...Mark Stoops owns you....those are the aberrations.

The series is 16-11 if you only include 1992 on when you joined the SEC (It was 1-1-1 pre SEC, so no one is hurt)
If you take just Spurrier coached games out..it's 8-8
If you take just Stoops coached games out...it's 15-6
If you take both of those guys out...you guys lead 8-5

Lets compare all time stuff..

-SC has a .513 winning % and has been to 23 bowls. 9 Bowl Wins
-UK has a .498 winning % and has been to 18 bowls. 9 Bowl Wins
-UK claims 1 national title in 1950. 2 SEC titles (1950 and 1976). No SEC East titles
-SC has no title claims. 1 ACC title in 1969. 1 SEC East title in 2010.
-Neither program has ever spent a week at #1 in the AP Poll.

SC is slightly better on results...although we've been in the SEC since the founding and before divisions when we had to play everyone. But...the slight edge for you all is due to that run of 3 10-win years more recently with the SEC East title.

Talent?
-UK has 11 consensus All-Americans. 15 1st round picks to 197 total. No Heisman winner
-SC has 4 consensus All-Ameircans. 13 1st round picks to 200 total. 1 Heisman winner.

Pretty much similar talent production...the draft picks all-time are almost dead even.

So pretty much...it isn't an aberration. We are close programs...you all are slightly better. If anything, the Spurrier years were an aberration. You guys had an all-time coaching legend. Your results were sky high. You also had the luxury of 2011-13 of a Muschamp Florida and a Dooley Tennessee...combined with you guys having a guys like Spurrier.

Your record the last 5 years has been what it's historically been...just a little above .500. Stoops' record at Kentucky has been historically close to the all-time Kentucky record...hovering around .500

Losing to us 5 in a row may be an aberration...but after a stretch of 13-1 against you guys...this streak actually is moving more towards the law of averages and regressing back to normal.

The 13 out of 14 was more of an aberration...considering it engulfed our period of probation and then the 3 years and aftermath of our worst coach ever (saying a lot for us)...and it coincided with you guys having not 1...but 2 Hall of Fame (national title winning) coaches in your program.

I'm hoping I didn't come across as arrogant...just wanted to make a point with just the numbers. Your program really isn't on another level than ours...it's not. Now if this was 2011 or 2012, you guys could make that case but times have changed as you all didn't take that step after you 3 year run. There's a separation in the SEC East with Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee. Mizzou, SC, UK, and Vandy all are fighting in that next tier...SC has been generally the best out of that tier...but you are closer to UK than you are a Georgia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT